Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default getting a trade?

this could be shit or ive just been living with my head up my arse as usual but my mate said you can pay a set fee and go on a electrician , buliders, plumbing crash courses and come out with a reconized certificate ? can anybody shed any light on this?
    looking for a change of direction in my life and a trade looks the way forward?

cheers guys
    Last edited by DelTrotter; 17th October 2007 at 03:46 PM.
    "Your proposition may be good. But let's have one thing understood
    Whatever it is, I'm against it! And even when you've changed it Or condensed it
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: getting a trade?

No heard of a crash course, sounds interesting.
    [IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/mrcon/Bioshock_02.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Introduction

Cowboys cut a hardworking, heroic figure as they moved through the
    frontier in the 1800s. The frontier has disappeared, but today's cowboys
    and cowgirls still work hard raising cattle and crops, and riding
    the rodeo circuit. It's easy to recognize a cowboy--just look for wellworn
    boots and jeans, an oversize belt buckle and that 10-gallon hat.
    Instructions

Difficulty: Moderate
    Steps

Step One

Work on a ranch to learn everything you can about cattle. You'll feed the cows, give shots, look for pinkeye, help with calving and much more. Buy a ranch if you can afford it and can handle all kinds of uncertainty, from bad weather to sick cattle to fluctuating markets.

Step Two

Select promising bulls for breeding and rodeo riding. Castrate the others and raise them for meat or for steer wrestling at the rodeo. Decide whether you'll use the females for birthing or beef.

Step Three

Learn some rodeo skills at bull-riding or rodeo school, and develop other skills on the ranch. You rope a calf to give it medicine the same way you rope one to bring it down in the rodeo.

Step Four

Buy cattle feed, or raise your own if your ranch is big enough. If it's really big, grow enough grain to sell to other people. Grassfed cattle require a pasture consisting of high-energy grasses and clovers.

Step Five

Mend fences and maintain farm buildings and equipment. Learn about machinery--a lot of ranch work, including branding and vaccinating, is now mechanized.

Step Six

Feed and take care of your horses.

Step Seven

Be a savvy businessperson. You have to buy grain, sell animals and balance the books.

Step Eight

Get someone to watch the ranch while you ride in the rodeo. Many cowboys work their ranches Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and compete Thursday through Sunday. (Some cowboys are only ranchers, some are only in the rodeo and some do both.)

Step Nine

Pay a rodeo entry fee and hope to place high enough to take some prize money home. Top rodeo cowboys earn a good living on the circuit, but many others barely scrape by.

Step Ten

Enjoy being outdoors, working with animals and keeping a quintessential American way of life alive.

Step Eleven

Buy an original Stetson at StetsonHat.com.

Link: http://www.ehow.com/how_138271_become-cowboy.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

In my labs we had this guy from Nikon who would come in once every few months and service the microscopes. By service I mean dust them down, clean the objective lens, drop of oil on the rack and fuck all else. One day I saw his invoice on my managers desk... £350 +VAT for service of 3 Nikon FN-1 microscopes

If you can get a gig where you work for a scientific instruments company, do minor maintenance but charge silly money you'll be laughing. Alternatively you could consider training to be an Elf and Safety inspector.. what a fucking joke.

Do excuse me if you're of the more hard working variety... I just love the thought of doing nothing and being paid.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's the same as anything really, you can buy a degree online which means jack shit.

If you're seriously interested in a change of careers I can help, but a quick plumbing course is only gonna cost you money and reward you with a worthless certificate.

Best to go the long way I'm afraid - night school.

BTW - your sig is shit . You know blazing saddles is satirical?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It's the same as anything really, you can buy a degree online which means jack shit.

If you're seriously interested in a change of careers I can help, but a quick plumbing course is only gonna cost you money and reward you with a worthless certificate.

Best to go the long way I'm afraid - night school.

BTW - your sig is shit . You know blazing saddles is satirical?
    my mate said that he went on the course obviously got a certificate. but at least it got his foot in the door he got a job as a plumber but he's helping a more experienced plumber who can teach him his experience.
    im asking basically whats the best way and easiest (cheapest way) to change direction? im hard working and focused so i know i can do it its just how to get there .

[QUOTEBTW - your sig is shit . You know blazing saddles is satirical?[/QUOTE]

yes it is satire . but some people will get offended still by the content. real life and satire whats the difference when it comes to films they should be shown in their own right especially the time and period there made. i understand if a film came out now and had blatant offensive racist material cos its not the time or the place.
    i think its just a bit hypocritical.
    Last edited by DelTrotter; 17th October 2007 at 07:40 PM.
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've looked into this earlier this year myself and it is, in theory, possible, but from my own enquiries, a waste of your money.

Although you can get in your hands a recognised certificate, the problem with that is that you don't have site experience and that is a major reason you will find many tradespeople won't touch you with a barge pole. so, in essence, I have come to the conclusion that unless you are very lucky and end up getting work through 'Dave - don't- give-a-shit', or want to be a tradesmans hoppo for a couple of years etc. It's the sort of thing to learn from the bottom and do your time in the traditional way.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

A mate recently qualified to be a sparkie, he was on the course part time for 2 years and still needs to do a few (much much smaller) courses to actually be pulling in good money - even after the 2 year course he's still on I think it was £9.50/hr.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

local colleges dont start till next year now .
    was looking at www.ucast.ac.uk which looks good but i think id do better in a learning mode rather than sitting in class . i need to be shown how to do things rather than sitting down taking notes but not sure if its like that in college on these type courses i wanna do. just a weakness of myn I like the hands on approach, no jokes please hehe.
    maybe just me bein scared goin back to a school sort of environment
    Last edited by DelTrotter; 17th October 2007 at 08:26 PM.
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

Thanks
    Karma Level

Dunno bout the rest but me sparkie mate told me very soon there will be no work left for people without qualifications. I think he said other trades were going that way as well, but dont quote me on that as I was a bit pissed when he told me a while ago.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ill be starting a trade as a sparks soon. theres no substitute for time. long way is the only way i reckon
    Signature Removed - please contact Raptor to request advert rates.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

tbh imnot bothered how long it takes , I just know im at a stage in my life where i need to do summat different and with good prospects. its all about the future
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

Thanks
    Karma Level

As others have said, experience is key. ATM I am labouring and learning with a general builder and some time I plan to go and get some paperwork to go with it. Bottom up with time seems the best way.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

you can pay for as many coarses as you want but nothing beats experence m8
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is the one most companies use ,they also have various other types of awards on different companies ,but generally it takes about 6 months

_http://www.ppltraining.co.uk/

The problem with this is people who generally go on this type of course dont have experience but set up a small jobbing firm and destroy faith in tradesmen ,if you want to become a plumber ,it might suit to get one of these courses under your belt and start with a large company for a few years to build up the experience needed to go into private housing .The normal time for a trade is 4-5 years ,1 week block release .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DelTrotter View Post
    local colleges dont start till next year now .
    was looking at www.ucast.ac.uk which looks good but i think id do better in a learning mode rather than sitting in class . i need to be shown how to do things rather than sitting down taking notes but not sure if its like that in college on these type courses i wanna do. just a weakness of myn I like the hands on approach, no jokes please hehe.
    maybe just me bein scared goin back to a school sort of environment
    You'll find a lot of part time courses start in January, so don't give up the search yet!

As for the school/college thing - you'll find that 80% of the course will be "hands on" and doing pratical things. Of course there will be paperwork involved, but it will be nothing like the "school" you remember!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers just rang salford, manchester and bolton universities for a prospectus gonna look at some electric engineering courses and see what they say when i apply. hope i get something.
    cheers for the advice guys
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

Thanks
    Karma Level

electrical engineering is completely different to any trade. while i was studying engineering there were a lot of people there who did it because they thought they were good with there hands. big mistake.

most dropped out after realising that theres very little to do with your hands.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by chrismaher2007 View Post
    electrical engineering is completely different to any trade. while i was studying engineering there were a lot of people there who did it because they thought they were good with there hands. big mistake.

most dropped out after realising that theres very little to do with your hands.
    totally agree, i brushed this side while on a electrical/electronics/mechanical degree coure, hadn't decided which direction i was going for at the time but building good credits, decided in the end for electronics and did 8 years in the industry (but am now a mechanic )
    back to the subject, most was mathematics and theory work, can be intense at times but you do get the hang of it. if you want to go for the big bucks, try something in the areas of high voltage engineering, technician or even cable jointing, good money to be had and the option of travelling, especially in iraq,afganistan and dubai at the mo, and there's the government incentive with building more nuclear power stations in this country which are going to need skilled peeps when the time comes.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i always wanted to become an electrician.but wanted to go to college just for the sake of going i did building engineering thinking it would be most like a trade. ended up being about 90% maths. how wrong was i?