Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Virgin Media upgrade to V+ HD - robbing bastards

On the Virgin Media website it says to have V+HD installed froms cratch will cost £75 with the first two month's for free.

I have phone and broadband from them and my Sky+ SD is out of contract and there is a huge waiting list for Sky+ HD, so ordered from Virgin.

All they need to do is turn up, un box the new V+HD box, plug it in and authenticate it.

I got an email saying £99 please. Gonna call the tomorrow and haggle and be prepared to tell them to stuff it....
    IT people slash forward.

Also, lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Virgin Media upgrade to V+ HD - robbing bastards

Be polite but firm, when I returned to them last Summer I got the install free, I still had the cabling in but no longer had any services from them.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Got them down to £49 which I am happy with...coming 26th Jan to install.
    IT people slash forward.

Also, lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

Thanks
    Karma Level

To be honest I was considering leaving them and going to Sky HD.

I bought the V+ box 2 years ago for £150 and they have only just got more than the BBC Preview channel in HD.

They don't have any movies (other than PPV) in HD.

They don't have any of the SkySports channels in HD (they do have ESPN HD).

.. and if your not on the Large package they charge you £5 a month for the privledge of having the V+ box!

When I set things to record they usually always end up starting to record 10 or 15 minutes too early and then chopping off the end of the show. If your a Bolton fan like me and have to wait till the end of MOTD for the 90 seconds of match coverage they give us your fecked!

The V+ box I also find quite slow in comparison to the Sky box. The Sky box seems to be pretty good speed wise, with menu selections almost instant, V+ is like trawling through mud.

Phone and broadband I have absolutely no complaints about, top service .. I just think the TV is shite.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

got to agree on the broadband and phone brilliant but the tv is awfull...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by AspectUK View Post
    To be honest I was considering leaving them and going to Sky HD.

I bought the V+ box 2 years ago for £150 and they have only just got more than the BBC Preview channel in HD.

They don't have any movies (other than PPV) in HD.

They don't have any of the SkySports channels in HD (they do have ESPN HD).

.. and if your not on the Large package they charge you £5 a month for the privledge of having the V+ box!

When I set things to record they usually always end up starting to record 10 or 15 minutes too early and then chopping off the end of the show. If your a Bolton fan like me and have to wait till the end of MOTD for the 90 seconds of match coverage they give us your fecked!

The V+ box I also find quite slow in comparison to the Sky box. The Sky box seems to be pretty good speed wise, with menu selections almost instant, V+ is like trawling through mud.

Phone and broadband I have absolutely no complaints about, top service .. I just think the TV is shite.
    Not sure if you know but you can adjust the settings for recordings with regards to start and finish time. I normally start 5 minutes before program and end 10 minutes after and haven't missed anything in ages.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by brumbino View Post
    On the Virgin Media website it says to have V+HD installed froms cratch will cost £75 with the first two month's for free.

I have phone and broadband from them and my Sky+ SD is out of contract and there is a huge waiting list for Sky+ HD, so ordered from Virgin.

All they need to do is turn up, un box the new V+HD box, plug it in and authenticate it.

I got an email saying £99 please. Gonna call the tomorrow and haggle and be prepared to tell them to stuff it....

There HD service is shite i have sky and Virgin and virgins service is blocky pish, compared to sky.

Ive got Virgins new slimline samsung box and its piss poor, they only gave me this when i complained about the picture, its made no difference..

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I took all that into account, but thanks for the help.

My rents have the V+ box and it is slower, but I don't have sports/movies so that's not a bain....and I do find the V+ software frustratingly slow sometimes, but I took a rounded view of both:

V+ is cheaper per month and the VoD is superb (non-existent on Sky!) so I went for it... :o)
    IT people slash forward.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The video on demand and music on demand with V+ is great. Other than that it isn't all that good, especially as there's only a couple of HD channels.

What's always annoyed me is the EPG though: it's slow, sluggish and buggy. I've had a V+ box almost from day 1, and figured at the beginning that it was a new service that would get better....but four years on, it is still shit.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I keep thinking of changing from Virgin. The EPG annoys me, I have to press the i button twice to actually get any info, and it does seem bloody slow and unresponsive compared to the Sky+. The lack of HD channels arses me off, I love watching my football on ESPN so I can get the HD, just wish I could get all the Sky Sports HD channels, I would subscribe immediately. Still, saying that, I paid £75 for install and thats it, nothing more, and got the old tuner put in upstairs for no extra money either.

Thanks
    Karma Level

gotta say i had one of the old big v+ boxes and it was very slow, and a bit noisy. now got a smaller one which is very fast and quiet as a mouse.
    there`s feck all on either sky/virmin to honest. just endless repeats. i don`t bother with sports and the films you can d/l a year before there on .
    [live=MEDIC Snr]name[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by brumbino View Post

What is the waiting list? surely it must vary from region to region as my parents just had sky hd installed and they came within 10 days?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tigro View Post
    What is the waiting list? surely it must vary from region to region as my parents just had sky hd installed and they came within 10 days?
    When I tried to book Sky+ HD I could only register an interest and they said they would call in three works to take the order...
    IT people slash forward.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Brumbino,

Do you mind me asking what channels you subscribed to and how much you paid upfront and then per month..

I am a Vermin customer.. I have the phone and broadband already but only the min tv channels.

I am looking at an upgrade to a v+ box (god i miss my dbox soooooo much, I would rather the wife left me)..

Thanks

Freak

Thanks
    Karma Level

I pay 48 notes mate for
    XL tv pack
    Phone line with free calls
    10 meg broadband
    But had to pay 75 notes for the V+ box fitted
    Hope this helps ................Paul
    If your happy with the help push the rep button

Thanks
    Karma Level

after having vermin for the last 5 years its time to part ways, having Sly HD installed on Wed just for the sports i doubt vermin will ever get sports in HD and thats what swayed me.

will keep the broadband deffo worth it but the phone is going as well, No caller display at all pathetic going over to BT as i dont have a landline and its free install when you switch saving £124.99 and best of all 0870 numbers are free as well as 0845 again something vermin is sadly lacking.

Will not miss vermin one iota, They only have one good product and thats the broadband.

Thanks
    Karma Level

since virgin has been playing with its encryption and testing in certain areas demand for sky has shot up.
    I was toying with the idea of sky HD for a while then when my virgin box broke i thought fook it time for Sky+ HD and its mint i love the discovery chans and the quality is fantastic.
    as said above movies u can get 12mths before they are out so whats the point and i dont do sports.
    Only in Britain….do we use the word “politics” to describe the process of Government. “Poli” in Latin meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking
    creatures”

Thanks
    Karma Level

I upgraded my package today with virgin now get the tv XL plus sky sports, 20mb broadband and unlimited landline calls for £70 per month oh and an extra v-box for the bedroom for £5 a month extra with same channels, they are coming out in 2 days to install swapping my old box for the HD and they waived the £75 installation charge. Was pricing Sky up and it was £46 for the same tv package but obviously more HD channels but would have still had to pay ntl contract £31 for lowest tv package, unlimited landlines and 20mb broadband but reading on here wondering if to cancel it and take it with sky

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cancel it and get someone to clone a modem for you, make sure it has haxorware on it

Thanks
    Karma Level

cant cancel as i am have 6 month to run with them i have upgraded the tv package thats all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast