Close

Thread: minidisc to pc?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question minidisc to pc?

i've googled it and is seems there is a way but not a cost efficent way of converting Minidiscs to a PC for either MP3 or WAV.

I know it can be done buy hooking up an analog audio lead and recording in real time but this losses quality, also think it can be done with an optical lead with the correct sound card (not sure what recording software to use) but ultimatly would like to do a drag and drop like you would with a hard drive or CDRW, something faster than realtime and which uses the track names on the minidisc so no need to re name each track.

so the questions can it be done? what hardware is required and how much would it cost? or if its too expensive does anyone know of a service that does this as it must be able to be done?

have seen that HI-MD does this but only with HI-Md recordings not normal MD recordings

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: minidisc to pc?

it may be possible if you got a MD drive for your PC, they were about in the early days of MD, marketed as a replacement for the floppy disk.
    Any other method has to be via the analogue/digital output purely as sound, so you would have to do it in real time etc.
    You shouldn't really lose any quality tho, especially if you used optical. I have recorded from MD to PC before just using analogue and it sounded fine. Id have used optical but my PC only had optical out, ive seen some motherboards with both in and out tho, which would be ideal.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

i hope u learned a lesson.

sony controlled formats suck.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah they are cunts when it comes to this kind of thing.

TBH the best way is as 909 says and run it into Optical on the PC. A Soundblaster Audigy has both optical in/out and then your simply need a good .wav editor to record the input.

Sony did have there shite "m-crew" software for copying tracks to MD, but I don't think it let you rip from MD to PC. Anyway the site is here

As with trying to get anything onto PC, can you not just download it already as mp3's?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know sony controled stuff is shite, the computer minidisc was for data only due to the DRM (digital rights management) that the audio minidisc has on it it wouldn't work or so it says on my searches,

it looks like the optical digital in on the computer is the only way to copy with quality, (small problem is i'll have to get a minidisc with optical out as the one i have access to only has analog out ) i have an old non working PC with a soundblaster with optical in and out so that not a problem but the time is, this is not for me i'm the final solution, it's for professional backing tracks that need to be on CD, i may try and find out what tracks are required and try and download them, anyone know any good torrent sites for backing tracks, as i can start that and leave it, save on the time and forget the sony shite.