Close

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

PS3 Importing a console?

I think these kinds of posts are allowed, couldn't see any info in the sticikies regarding this.

I remember thet Renchi and PlayAsia both used to not allow the importation of hong Kong/Jap PS3 however Renchi is now allowing it. I would like to import the ceramic white 40GB version, it's about £250 shipped.

What are the implications ofr getting a foreign console? I read the sticky saying the power supply works fine and I can play all US and Japanese games, but can I play European games too?

Also now it has been about for a while does it only play NTSC Blu-ray? or can it play PAL Blu-ray too?

Finally has anyone imported a console from Renchi before? I know they are reliable but they have a certain feature which would make the import cheaper. I won't mention it here though for specific reasons

Cheers

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Importing a console?

Yes you can play european games. You may get a import tax charge .. it depends on what region ps3.. from HK they are the sam region as america. jap is not. i think region A is america. jap is region C..

Hope this helps

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ant3b View Post
    Yes you can play european games. You may get a import tax charge .. it depends on what region ps3.. from HK they are the sam region as america. jap is not. i think region A is america. jap is region C..

Hope this helps
    Won't import tax be the same regardless of region? And that is how Renchi can help make the console cheaper so has anyone who knows what I am talking about tried that particular feature?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was about to do the very same thing mate. I was going to get the Ceramic White PS3 40gb HK version for around £240 delivered from renchi, but I was told there is no point since I will get charged some import tax and I might aswell get the UK one from Amazon for £269. I noticed that you can tell them to mark it as a gift and more, but what will the charge usually be like?

Thanks
    Karma Level

if its just the colour you find appalling, i wouldn't think its long before they introduce the white ones here. This sort of thing usually raises interest for any machine and thats what sony needs the most right now, especially in the west.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I am getting one for the Blu ray player but as my 360, HD DVD player and wii are white thought I might as well get a white PS3 too.

Billhouse that is what I was referring to but it's illegal hence I didn't post it on the open forum... I think a gift should come through without tax but in practice that isn't usually the case.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: Importing a console?

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    I think a gift should come through without tax but in practice that isn't usually the case.
    Gift or not , you still pay import duty / vat

When goods are posted from outside the EU customs duty is only payable if the amount of duty is £7 and over. This applies to both purchases of goods and gifts. However, import VAT is payable on purchases of goods with a value of £18 and over, and on gifts if the value is £36 and over.

Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of the following taxes:
    • customs duty
    • excise duty
    • import VAT
    and must be paid whether:
    • you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift;
    • the goods are new or used (including antiques)
    • the goods are for your private use or for sale

Import VAT is not payable on:
    • commercial consignments eg goods purchased over the internet with an intrinsic value not exceeding £18, but this does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters
    • gifts, excluding alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters, with a value not exceeding £36
    How and why we examine packages

We examine postal packages arriving in the UK from outside the EU for prohibited or restricted goods such as drugs, indecent or obscene material, weapons, endangered species and counterfeit goods, and to confirm the description and value stated on the declaration is correct. We also check the customs declaration to determine if customs duty, excise duty and import VAT is chargeable.
    We will sometimes need to examine the contents of a package particularly when the sender has not completed the declaration fully. In such cases the opening, repacking and resealing of the package is carried out, under our instruction, by Royal Mail staff.

Hope that helps

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by kracken View Post
    How and why we examine packages

We examine postal packages arriving in the UK from outside the EU for prohibited or restricted goods such as drugs, indecent or obscene material, weapons, endangered species and counterfeit goods, and to confirm the description and value stated on the declaration is correct. We also check the customs declaration to determine if customs duty, excise duty and import VAT is chargeable.
    We will sometimes need to examine the contents of a package particularly when the sender has not completed the declaration fully. In such cases the opening, repacking and resealing of the package is carried out, under our instruction, by Royal Mail staff.
    Ok from my experience they don't check for this stuff as I have had several items that according to this they don't allow in the country through no problem

Also from my experience when I get items courier delivered TNT and DHL have sent me a customs invoice which I genuinely forgot to pay and neither asked for payment, they must have absorbed it themselves. Not sure if this puts a mark on my name but I have used DHL a few times since with no mention about the amount owed, although the amount was less than £30 in both cases.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I used to send stuff from Thailand(footie shirts) just marked the boxes as gifts with a value of £34.
    Never lost a parcel and never been charged duty.
    Always used E.M.S
    EMS is used frequently from asia and gets taken over by Parcel force when it arrives to the uk so you can track on the parcel force website.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

All my cheaper items are sent using EMS but when it comes to a value of anything over £300 I usually use DHL etc.