What is it about: This is the fantasy version of PAN's LABYRINTH. It contains only Ofelia's adventure, how she became the princess of the subterranean empire.

original film name: Pan's Labyrinth (el laybrinto del fauno)
new film name : Ofelia Princesa de las profundidades
film studio name : Picturehouse/Senator
edit crew name : CBB
Date Original Film Was Released : 2006
Date Edit Was Released : Dec 24, 2007
Original Runtime : 120 min
New Runtime : 72 min
Amount of time Cut/Added : about 50 minutes

Cuts removed/added/extended :
OFELIA PRINCESA DE LAS PROFUNDIDADES
I had to edit lots and lots and even some more scenes to make this edit work. Several scenes are completely re-scored, with all new sound effects, just to support the plot or better fit in. Creating a movie like it was NOT intended to be proofed to be a tough one.
And here are edited scenes that I remember the best:
1.Ofelia walks to the tree: In these scene the soldiers are exploring a rebel camp in the woods. Meanwhile little Ofelia is walking to the tree with the toad, reading the text aloud that guides her. Now she is reading the text, even when the riders are shown. But in this version there are no riders, so I had to rearrange the text she speaks to get rid of the scene and have it still make sense. Tough one.
2. Mercedes sings the lullaby: Ofelia is banned to her own room, because her mother is so sick. When Mercedes works in her room, they are talking about the rebels and then she sings the lullaby. Now I wanted the lullaby by all means, but the rebel talk not. The cut is a bit rough, but it works.
3. The kidnapping of the brother: Everything that lead to Ofelia being locked up in her room is gone. Mercedes does not take her with her, they are not captured, Ofelia is just sitting in her room at night, when the pan enters again to grant her a last chance. While this was rather easy, the following was all not. In the original movie the captain tries to torture Mercedes and she attacks him with a knife and hurts him badly in his chest, in his back and especially in his face. Now there was no way to include these ultra violent scenes, including the captain stitching up his cut mouth, BUT I needed him hurt, because that is how he discovers Ofelia and that is how he follows her. What I did was to start the attack of the rebels early, most of all just hearable when Ofelia gets her brother. The scene works very well and you exactly know, how the captain got hurt in the attack. Very tough one.

There are lots and lots of other cuts, audio transitions, replaced audio to fit the plot. the result is a rather well working fantasy edition, which I hope the audience can truly enjoy. Kids that are allowed to watch the Harry Potter movies may watch that one too. It's creepy, it's a bit violent, but not too much to bear.

Fanedit details:
OFELIA PRINCESA DE LAS PROFUNDIDADES is the fantasy edit of PAN'S LABYRINTH. It contains almost none of the reality horrors of the original movie and tells the story of little Ofelia, who discovers that she is the lost daughter to the king of the underground empire, not human, but captured in a human body. To return to her father she must fulfill 3 dangerous tasks, given to her by an old and mysterious pan. Her life will depend on her making the right choices and getting along in a real world that is all not supportive.
This version is IMO suitable for kids aged 12 or older. Still it contains elements of horror and drama that might be hard to take for sensitive kids. Parental guidances is advised.

DVD DETAILS
72 minutes PAL 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen with AC3-5.1 audio
LANGUAGES : GERMAN, SPANISH
SUBTITLES : ENGLISH
MENUS : most are animated with sound
SCENE SELECTION : yes
TRAILER, TEASER : no
CBB OVERVIEW : yes, for all 22 fanedits
COVER&Disc ART : yes, on DVD-Rom part

Your intention for this fanedit:
Pan's Labyrinth was THE surprise of the year 2006. It won 3 academy awards for its stunning effects and the incredible atmosphere. Like in one of his previous movies (The Devil's Backbone) Guillermo Del Toro combined a fantasy story with real events in Spain during the fascist era, thus creating an incredible mix of plot. And once again the intention was to combine real horror with fantasy horror, where the audience had to find out that nothing is more terrifying than reality. But as in the predecessor, Pan's Labyrinth's shocking reality elements also distracted from a great fantasy story. The amount of cruelty and violence was too much for lots of people, who otherwise might have watched the best fantasy or dark fairy tale movie in years. Twistd101 came up with the idea to get rid of the shocking reality bits and create a fairy tale version with an all working plot. However, since the two elements are deeply interconnected, he was not able to separate one from the other. So I took the challenge and picked up his wonderful concept to finally get to see Pan'S Labyrinth in the way I could rather bear it, focusing only on Ofelia's way to become the lost daughter of the underground king. It was very tough work and it required lots and lots of creative decisions and re-arrangements to get a working, flowing and for the audience convincing plot, when so many events were missing. But I was successful. And so now people can hopefully enjoy a very intensive but much less violent version of PAN'S LABYRINTH.

Your way to achieve your intention:
Hard work and lots and lots of creative decisions.

Hardware and software information:
Hardware:
Windows XP computer
with an X2 6000 dual core cpu
and 2 GB of RAM on an ASUS board

Software:
Womble MPEG DVD Wizard
Ulead Media Studio Pro
Vegas Video
Cinema Craft Encoder
Cinematize Pro
Virtual Dub
Avisynth
Adobe Audition
Pro Show Producer
Jasc Paint Shop Pro

Additional Comment:
There are still some rough spots, which I could not get rid of. Still I hope people can enjoy this a lot.
The entire fanedit is dedicated to my daughter, who is a strong fighter against unhappiness.

Time needed for the edition:
really long

persons involved:
most of all me, myself and I
others: Lena, Noemi, Magic Carpet, Ummagumma

You need to own the original DVD to legally watch this fanedit. Fanedits must not be bought or sold.