Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Christmas quad bike girl, 7, killed in head-on crash with Range Rover

Christmas quad bike girl, 7, killed in head-on crash with Range Rover

By JULIE MOULT, EMILY ANDREWS and CHARLOTTE GILL » Last updated at 17:39pm on 27th December 2007

The seven-year-old riding a quad bike smashed into a Range Rover on a country lane in Blackmore in Essex

A seven-year-old girl described as an "angel" died after she careered into a car on a quad bike she had been given for Christmas.

Elizabeth Cooke was following behind her father's Range Rover with her brother on Boxing Day evening when it appears she lost control of the bike she was driving and swerved into the path of an oncoming 4x4.

At the time, it was not believed her injuries were serious and she returned to her home half a mile away. But later she fell gravely ill and had to be airlifted to hospital where she later died.

Last night, family friend Ruth Wilson said: "She was a little angel with white hair. She was absolutely perfect and was loved by everyone.

"She loved horses. Her mum used to bring her horse to school for Elizabeth to ride home. "They were wonderful parents, really lovely."

Mr Cooke - who runs an organic egg business from his 49 acre farm in rural Blackmore near Chelmsford in Essex, was yesterday trying to come to terms with the death of his daughter.

He said: "Obviously we have just lost our child and now is not the time to be making tributes. The last thing we want to do is talk about this publically.

"We just want to be able to grieve in private."

His partner, Lizzie's mother Claire, was said to be in "absolute pieces".

Last night their were questions being raised as to why Elizabeth - known as Lizzie - and her nine year-old brother Jack had been allowed to ride on a road.

It is possible their parents - who gave the children the quads just the day before - may face charges.

Although it is legal for modified quad bikes to be used on public highways, it is not legal for anyone under the age of 16 to drive a vehicle. A crash helmet must be worn.

The Quadzilla Pro-Shark quad bike, the model believed to be being driven by the seven-year-old, is designed for use by children in fields.

A spokesman for road safety charity Brake, said: "Under no circumstances should a child be riding one of these vehicles on a road - whether as a driver or passenger.

"Even with permission to use the machines on private land, children shouldn't be put in control of them - the sheer power and speed of them is dangerous wherever they are used."

According to friends Mr Cooke allowed the excited children to follow behind his Range Rover as he drove the half mile to pick up an elderly couple who were to have Boxing Day dinner at the family's home, Bluebell Farm.

Lizzie - who attended the local school Blackmore County Primary - and her brother were just metres behind their father's vehicle as they headed home just after 6pm.

They had motorcycle-style lights on the front of the red bike called a Pro Shark.

Police are looking into the theory that Lizzie swerved out across the unlit lane - which has a 60mph speed limit - and directly into the path of the oncoming car - also a Range Rover.

The elderly woman who was in the back of the car and asked not to be named, said: "They had ridden over on their quad bikes, they got them for Christmas.

"They had come to pick us up to go back to their house.

"They both had lights on them (the quad bikes) like motorbike lights. I got in the back of the car and I was watching out of the back to make sure we didn't lose them.

"A car came past and I said to Gary 'One of the lights has gone, one of them has come off the bike'."The woman in the car stopped."

"It's such a trauma, I'm in shock. She was such an intelligent girl, very pretty and full of life."

The driver of the red Range Rover - a 28-year-old woman from the local area - stopped immediately at the scene. Believing her injuries to be minor, Mr Cooke said to her: "Don't worry, she's not badly hurt."

But when they arrived back home, they realised her injuries were much worse and they dialled 999.

An air ambulance took her to Broomfield Hospital. A post mortem will be held in the coming days to determine the cause of death.

The 28 year-old driver was later arrested but tested negative for drink and drugs and was released without charge, pending further investigations.

A spokesman for Essex Police said: ""A red Range Rover and a Shark quad bikestruck each other.

"The rider, a seven-year-old girl who lived locally,was conveyed to Chelmsford's Broomfield Hospital by ambulance but sadly died soon after arrival.

The spokesman added: "It is illegal to ride a quad bike on the road underthe age of 16. Police officers will continue their investigation into thecircumstances surround the crash.

"A post mortem examination is due to be held this week to establish acause of death." Mr and Mrs Cooke also have an 18-month-old baby named Charlotte and self-made millionaire Mr Cooke has several children from a previous marriage.

He made his fortune from an organic egg business and an air-conditioning company, Franklyn Air.

A neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: "Elizabeth was a tiny blonde little thing.

"She was a very sweet little girl.

"I've often seen Claire taking the ponies to school to collect the children."

Another neighbour, Hayley Davies, 35, that the country roads around Blackmore are often used as a shortcut to nearby Chelmsford.

She said: "My children don't hack out their ponies in the afternoon because the roads are too dangerous, they use it as a racetrack.

"It's such a tragedy that something like this has happened, I really feel for them."

Source http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Christmas quad bike girl, 7, killed in head-on crash with Range Rover

Obviously a horrid, tragic thing to have happened...but what on earth were the parents doing letting their 7 year old girl ride a quad bike on a road?

Absolutely insane, if anything I think that if anyone is prosecuted, it should be the parents. Of course, one could argue that they are suffering enough.

Also, assuming it was totally not her fault (which is the way the story reads), the woman who was driving the oncoming vehicle now has to deal with the fact that she inadvertently caused the death of the litte girl.

Bad all round

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Christmas quad bike girl, 7, killed in head-on crash with Range Rover

What the hell were the parents thinking?

Especially around christmas time when the country roads are full of people with a drink inside of them.

49 acre farm
    Not as if they didn't have the space on private property, is it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

And at night... the parents a idiots I'm afraid. Tragically, their ignorance has cost the little girl her life.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

a 7 Year old driving at night on a quad .. and it inclines no helmet aswell? the parents should face murder.. for ignorance

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by neo2810 View Post
    And at night... the parents a idiots I'm afraid. Tragically, their ignorance has cost the little girl her life.
    echo that fella.

Time Flies when you're having fun! A decade of DF - April 2002-2012.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Shame for the girl he parents obviously went to the Mcann school of parenting as well.

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i hate this bullshit, the parents always fill the artical with "oh she was an angel with blonde hair, cared for lost kittens and always said her prayers" blah blah, tug on the old heart strings why don't you. Doesn't escape the fact she died through their own stupidity.

It is a shame its a little girl and not one of those 18yr old chav idiots on mini moto things.

Thanks
    Karma Level

ditto to all the above but the worst thing it's the driver of the car has to live with this.
    Tommy J

Big is not always better.... Take Fat people for example.

Push down Taps, you know it makes sense. Wash Them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

When I first spotted this & I saw the headline, my immediate thought was of a little girl on one of those battery powered quads (you know a pink Barbie type thingy) who`d been out riding on the pavement & had wandered out in front of a car.

Upon reading the whole article, I was shocked [to say the least], but not surprised.

There are a few unanswered questions that the article doesn`t answer.

1. was she wearing a Helmet?

2. What did she actually die of?

3. Why didn`t the parents call an Ambulance immediately? IMO I think her Dad knew he was in shit & hoped to get away with it.

4. Why did he say to the other driver "Don't worry, she's not badly hurt."? IMO see No.3. Its an offence to leave an accident when someone has been injured IIRC.

5. What speed was the Range Rover travelling at? Now it was a 60mph road so most people would have been travelling at 40+mph, now Range Rover plus impact with quad at slow speed equals serious injury, at 40mph I`d guess death?

6.Quote "At the time, it was not believed her injuries were serious and she returned to her home half a mile away"....Humm how did she return home? did they let her carry on riding? Did they just leave the quad where it was & take her home in the car? Did they put the quad in the car & carry on home? Now I know you don`t just put a Quad in the Boot. Did they let her brother carry on?

Theres some serious questions need answering & there should be some prosecutions of the little girls parents, but as always Fook all will happen...they`ve had enough heartbreak etc....

RIP little Girl. I hope your parents get their just deserts, although I somehow doubt it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    It is a shame its a little girl and not one of those 18yr old chav idiots on mini moto things.
    these thing are every where. after xmas is worse. ride up and down the street no helmat/insurance or feck all

feel for the little girl. not the fecking parents, what are they thinking
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

i dont know what to say about this really but when it comes to safety who do you blame..
    I have worked a market stall on thoresby for 20 years now selling cycle accessories and the amount of people who will not pay £7 to £10 pound for a half becent helmet that will save a life is so sad, same goes for lights for a cycle (i get people saying things like "they dont go out in the dark",,,yeah fuck off the lads 14 year old).
    But then on the other hand i do get people come who will not let the child go out without such safety equipment so is it a lack of common sence,education or just a lack of understanding as to what could happen..
    I would like you all to think back to your childhood and the things you did that u now know were fookin dangerous and the close calls you had..
    Manufacturers should be made to supply the safety equipment with whatever they sell, if parents can afford £400 pounds for a quad then the equipment to use it safely should be supplied with it and the cost put on top....too easy i know but it will help..

bring back the charlie says public info films..

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Poor, poor child.

As for the parents they deserve to do some time. Sounds to me like a successful businessman who thinks he is a little above the law and an asset to the local community thinking he can do whatever the fuck he likes on the public roads. I hope they dredge him and his Mrs over the coals and remove any other kids off them as a result. Stupid numb cunts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    Poor, poor child.

As for the parents they deserve to do some time. Sounds to me like a successful businessman who thinks he is a little above the law and an asset to the local community thinking he can do whatever the fuck he likes on the public roads. I hope they dredge him and his Mrs over the coals and remove any other kids off them as a result. Stupid numb cunts.

Yep, bang on. Scumbag parents
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wakadoo View Post
    .....I would like you all to think back to your childhood and the things you did that u now know were fookin dangerous and the close calls you had../
    And now, as a parent with my kids at an age where they rely on me and trust me totally for their safety, that is exactly why I would never expose them to any crazy arsed stunt like these 'parents' did, especially on a road that is known as a 'race track'.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BertRoot View Post
    Poor, poor child.

that pretty much sums it up for me
    the bit about taking the ponies to school so they can ride em home says it all it sounds like the parents are very materialistic and want the world to know what they have
    49 acres of land is a lot of space there's no need for that kind of showing off

as for letting your 7 year old daughter ride a quad bike on a public road rated at national speed limit is beyond belief considering the 49 acres they want us all to know about

absolute tradgedy
    obviusly letting the world know what they got for christmas is far more important than the safety of their children

Thanks
    Karma Level

No charges over quad bike death (9.1.08)

A woman who was arrested after a seven-year-old girl died in a quad bike accident in Essex on Boxing Day has been released from bail without charge.

Elizabeth Cooke was riding a quad bike behind her father's car near her home in Blackmore when she collided with a Range Rover. She died in hospital.

The car's driver, 28, was arrested on suspicion of driving without due care and attention following the crash.

The woman, from Brentwood, has been released without charge, police said.

A post-mortem examination revealed the seven-year-old girl had died from multiple injuries in the crash, which happened in Fingrith Hall Lane, just outside the village of Blackmore.

B
    Don't take life seriously. It isn't permanent.

Thanks
    Karma Level

WTF was a 7 year old riding a Quad bike on county roads behind her dads car????

The parents are f&*King mental, Dont deserve to have kids and should be sterilised so they cant have any more.

-=AD=-

Thanks
    Karma Level

BBC Update 10/1/08

A 46-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the death of a seven-year-old girl who died in a quad bike accident in Essex on Boxing Day.

Elizabeth Cooke was riding a quad bike behind her father's car near her home in Blackmore when she collided with a Range Rover. She died in hospital.

The man, who is from the Brentwood area, has been released on bail until later this month.

The 28-year-old driver of the Range Rover was released without charge.

She had been arrested on suspicion of driving without due care and attention following the crash.

A post-mortem examination revealed Elizabeth had died from multiple injuries in the crash, which happened in Fingrith Hall Lane, just outside the village of Blackmore.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Essex Police.

B
    Don't take life seriously. It isn't permanent.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Its gota be bad enough for the parents losing their daughter but being arrested for it as well. But they where stupid letting her drive it on the road like they did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast