Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Combi boiler...how much?

I need to know what I would expect to pay for the installation of a combi boiler, and the removal of an old back boiler. Reason being British Gas have been around today for our service and they have said that the current boiler (old Baxi Gas back boiler) is knackered and in the Mrs` infinite wisdom, she asked them around on Thursday to "quote us happy"...tool!

Are they likely to fleece me? Any ideas on what I should expect to pay.

The house is a bog standard 3 up, 2 down semi detached with 6 rads. The rads are all old except one which is a new twin wall jobbie. I believe there is 15mm copper piping throughout, and 22mm in the airing cupboard. Most of this is original.
    Recent Mac convert...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Combi boiler...how much?

We had a full new system fitted by British Gas. Combi and 9 rads. All fitted new including pipework and removal of on old boiler and it came to the extortionate price of £5k. The missus wanted someone reliable who we knew would do a good job as you dont know with plumbers. They used contractors to fit it all anyway and we had nowt but bother with them. We also got a price from Iguana who were cheaper by a few hundred quid but BG matched there price and offered interest free credit after a bit haggling.
    In answer to your question tho, yes they will try to fleece you.
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok, thats a complete freak-out ptice!!! I`ve been reading about Worcester 24cdi boilers. These seems to be low pressure and not high pressure therefore most of my pipework can be retained and only minor alteratins to the existing rads would be nessecary.

How true is this? Would BG be inclined to consider this approach?

I tell you what, a CORGI registered installer would be fucking handy right now!
    Recent Mac convert...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bought my Gas boiler from the local plumbers merchant for around £750 and had a gas fitter (corgi registered) who was recommended fit it for £225+ vat.

For some unknown reason people tend to think British Gas employ super plumbers? I used to work for what was Norweb (now United Utilities) and the same applied there, thats why they get away with charging so much. As long as someone you know can recommend them and they are corgi you should get the same job done as british gas.

Try searching on CORGI's website they should have a list of approved installers, what area do you live? Wales by any chance?

I have a Worcester 28 si II, no trouble whatsoever and been in about 4 years now
    Last edited by syscon; 4th February 2008 at 08:53 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

What gave it away???!?

Yeh, but we could only go interest free so we`d need to stick with someone pretty big.
    Recent Mac convert...

Thanks
    Karma Level

i had 7 rads and a combi and thermostatic valves fitted for £2100 a bout 4 years back from a recommended local firm. that was for a chafferteux combi and included removal of 2 gas heaters and 2 economy 7plus remedial work for the removal.
    i think all boilers now have to be condensing boilers so are obviously a little more expensive, but for the same firm, i would be looking at no more than £3k. i would definately shop around and get recommendations from the local area.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It may work out cheaper getting a bank loan and paying interest?

Interest free may sound attractive but if its costing you £4k as opposed to 2k its not really a great deal.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Pete View Post
    What gave it away???!?

Yeh, but we could only go interest free so we`d need to stick with someone pretty big.
    Why not take out a credit card that offers long term 0% on purchases ?

HSBC and halifax both offer 12 months 0% at the moment.

Even if you dont pay it all off you could switch cards or then take a bank loan to pay it off

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Remember that much of the pipework and gas supply will be different to an old Baxi which I presume will be behind a fireplace. A new system will need to be located somewhere else and therefore much of the pipework will be new. You won't need to pay the earth for the boiler but skimping now will result in higher running and maintenance costs.An interest free deal from a gas company will be more expensive effectively wiping out the savings on the loan. A bank or cheap interest loan from somewhere else will allow you to shop around, Corgi will give you a list of registered fitters in your area.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

id say m8 ur gonna get hit for about 4k.. the cheapest route would be to get a corgi reg company to do it on a payment plan.
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Go to your local plumb center they always got some good deals on combi boilers.
    Had mine from them last year on a deal only cost me £349.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Get a local plumber (recommend if possible) to come round. Discuss the job with him ie where the boiler would go etc, pipe layouts and where to to hook onto old system etc. Then go and buy the boiler & pipes, do as much as you can and then get either the local plumber from earlier or another one in to connect up & finish off esp the gas side of it.
    Could save yourself a few bob, and it will be Corgi signed off.
    "Friendly fire will not be tolerated"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Unsure if this could apply to you, but if you receive any kind of benefits or have a young child then you could possibly be eligible for a heating grant. Just a shot in the dark.

http://www.warmfront.co.uk/

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The Mrs is indeed on DLA so that`ll be worth looking into. Thanks.
    Recent Mac convert...

Thanks
    Karma Level

One thing to take into consideration is the old pipework is that ,full of sludge and basically rust ,your existing fittings etc will be narrowed due to this ,so the possible installation of a new boiler on an old system (older than 5 years without inhibitor ) is not recommended .The reason for this is simple ,with boilers changing from the old back boilers etc ,they introduced filters to stop the boilers getting any dirt or sludge into the integral parts ,the problem with this is ,you fit a new boiler onto an old system ,with a new pump in the boiler ,it starts to slowly shift all the crap and it clogs at the new filters . Once this starts you will be calling out the boiler repair man every other week or wind up paying for a powerflush (which tbh wont get rid of a lot of the solid crap as it tends to lie low in the radiators ).

The British Gas will fleece you for a job that can be carried out by a decent local plumber at a fair price ,and if something goes wrong you will have the one guy to talk to instead of a corporation and different people every time .
    Signature Removed: Maximum signature image size is: 468 x 60

Thanks
    Karma Level

Actually Pete, can you do me a favour?
    Get British Gas round, when they give you the quote laugh into his face and tell him to fuck off. Would be funny if you punched him aswell, although I dont condone voilence in any way.
    Oh, film it aswell then post here.
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Was just gunna post a question asking the same.

Just bought a house last week, the backboiller was leaking gas when the central heating went on and it filled up an average size room in 30seconds, So need one kinda sharpish. The guy who removed the fire said he'll fit it if i get the combi, but onply if he has time, so may have to go to someone else.

Is there any type of Combi Boiler i need or will cheapesto do?
    Are the old pipes ok or will i need new ones? (dont seem to old)
    Is there any chance i could do it for £1k
    And shouldnt the surveyors have checked this out prior to the sale being agreed

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by soulassassin View Post
    Actually Pete, can you do me a favour?
    Get British Gas round, when they give you the quote laugh into his face and tell him to fu(k off. Would be funny if you punched him aswell, although I dont condone voilence in any way.
    Oh, film it aswell then post here.
    They came round to my previous house and wanted £500 to flush out my system before they would take it on under their insurance plan!

I promptly told them to get fucked!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bignes_420 View Post
    Was just gunna post a question asking the same.

Just bought a house last week, the backboiller was leaking gas when the central heating went on and it filled up an average size room in 30seconds, So need one kinda sharpish. The guy who removed the fire said he'll fit it if i get the combi, but onply if he has time, so may have to go to someone else.

Is there any type of Combi Boiler i need or will cheapesto do?
    Are the old pipes ok or will i need new ones? (dont seem to old)
    Is there any chance i could do it for £1k
    And shouldnt the surveyors have checked this out prior to the sale being agreed
    sounds like a job for the vip section that m8, i'm sure the previous tennants are obliged to leave it in a safe and satisfactory manner.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Hah...British Gas came out and said "for a combi and a few new thermostatic valves we`ll fleece..uh..I mean charge you £3600"...to which I said "Oi mush, fuck off...I`ll do your fuckin` car".

Anywho, quoted about, locally and have had a quote for new boiler (worcester 30cdi), new pipework throughout, new rads and a box of thorton chocolates for just £3100...bargain.
    Recent Mac convert...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast