Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Bad Chesty Cough?

Right, I've had quite a bad chesty cough for several months now! I was an avid weed smoker for about 4.5 years, but I stopped 7 months ago.

When I smoked I never had a bad cough, however towards the end I felt my chest tightening up, and hence why I stopped.

Not long after I stopped I developed a rather bad chesty cough, I'm not coughing up anything, and I never coughed up anything while I was smoking either!

Im not wheezing when I breath either, and I dont become out of breath any sooner that I did when I was smoking weed! I can actually run longer before becoming out of breath since I stopped!

Its not keeping me up at night or anything, its only when Im awake during the day. This is just beginning to annoy & confuse me now! When I smoked I had no cough and a tight chest, now I dont have a tight chest but I have a rather bad chesty cough! Makes no sense to me!

Dont really want to go to the GP just to be given anti-biotics unless I really need them!

Anyone got any ideas on what it might be?
    Last edited by Mario87; 6th February 2008 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bad Chesty Cough?

Have you been smoking grit weed?

Thanks
    Karma Level

not as far as im aware! no. I always used to have a look at the weed I got just to see what its like before smoking it, and I dont think I ever got any "grit weed".

However, Iv also heard that in the case of 'grit weed' , there is usually some left at the bottom of the baggy (because it doesnt stick to the sides of the bag or the weed itself like the proper cystals on the weed do), and I have never seen that with any of the weed iv had, the only thing I have seen is crystals off the weed sticking to the sides of the baggy, but thats part of the weed, and nothing added, and even then, we only got weed that had lots of crystals when it was white widow or the likes, and it was very strong!

Iv also heard that smoking grit weed or glass weed can make you cough up blood! And as iv said, I havn't coughed up anything.
    Last edited by Mario87; 6th February 2008 at 04:56 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.publichealthgreybruce.on....Roadblocks.htm

Do you still smoke? about halfway down page .. talks about coughing..

You may also be dealing with plenty of coughing, but this is not caused by your body’s withdrawal from nicotine. There are tiny hairs in the back of your throat and in your windpipe. These hairs are responsible for removing particles breathed into your lungs. When you smoke the tiny hairs in the throat and windpipe are destroyed. After quitting these hairs are quickly replaced and can begin to remove the particles that have settled in your lungs while you were smoking. This causes all the coughing. It is your body’s natural way of cleaning out your lungs.

The best way to deal with withdrawal symptoms is to be prepared. Think of positive things you can do to get through the withdrawal. Try concentrating on the 4 D’s

● Deep Breathing

● Delay (use positive self talk, or go to a smoke-free environment)

● Drink Water

● Do Something Else

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers mate! But I never smoked fags anyway, just weed, but I did mix it with fag baccy!

I know about the hairs (think they're called cillia), and the strange thing is that this has been going on for months and I have not coughed up a single thing! Would have though that something would have come out by now if there was something to come out...

I never think about smoking anymore anyway! I can hang around mates that smoke the stuff and not bat an eyelid, so thanks for the 4 D's, but I dont think I need them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

just an update, I eventually went to the doctors and they reckon its my asthma! I havn't needed an inhaler since I was about 10, and now it seems to have come back!

All they did was give me a blue reliever inhaler and said if I need to use it more than 3 times a week then to come back and see them and they'll give me the brown preventer inhaler which uses steroids (hence them not giving it to me just now)!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi I started with asthma about 5 years ago had a bad cold then it turned into asthma like you they gave me a blue one then a brown one then a purple one then a green one now when im very bad I have to take an orange one it seems to come and go but just be wary when u get astham you normally end up with hayfever as well take care
    ps I never smoked either strange I dont have it when I go abroad on holiday maybe I should move abroad

If you want to listen to the radio click here http://184.154.153.178:8000/listen.pls

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by vixen View Post
    Hi I started with asthma about 5 years ago had a bad cold then it turned into asthma like you they gave me a blue one then a brown one then a purple one then a green one now when im very bad I have to take an orange one it seems to come and go but just be wary when u get astham you normally end up with hayfever as well take care
    ps I never smoked either strange I dont have it when I go abroad on holiday maybe I should move abroad
    Can I come with you?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by vixen View Post
    iv never heard of purple, green & orange inhalers!!

Only ones iv seen are the blue one (reliever) and the brown one (preventer). other than that I have had that gas machine thing where you wear an oxygen mask for about 30 mins and breath in a medicine that opens your airways! only had that when I was young and first developed athsma!

like I say, it went away 10 years ago, and it has now come back! Im not overly happy! But hey, at least its not something more serious!