Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention 'I don't hate Muslims. I hate Islam,' says Holland's rising political starGeert Wilde

'I don't hate Muslims. I hate Islam,' says Holland's rising political star

Geert Wilders, the popular MP whose film on Islam has fuelled the debate on race in Holland, wants an end to mosque building and Muslim immigration. Ian Traynor met him in The Hague
    [LIST]<LI class=byline>Ian Traynor <LI class=publication>The Observer, [*]Sunday February 17 2008

This article appeared in the Observer on Sunday February 17 2008 on p40 of the World news section. It was last updated at 00:06 on February 17 2008.

Geert Wilders, the right-wing Dutch politician. Photograph: Jerry Lampen/Reuters

A TV addict with bleached hair who adores Maggie Thatcher and prefers kebabs to hamburgers, Geert Wilders has got nothing against Muslims. He just hates Islam. Or so he says. 'Islam is not a religion, it's an ideology,' says Wilders, a lanky Roman Catholic right-winger, 'the ideology of a retarded culture.'
    The Dutch politician, who sees himself as heir to a recent string of assassinated or hounded mavericks who have turned Holland upside down, has been doing a crash course in Koranic study. Likening the Islamic sacred text to Hitler's Mein Kampf, he wants the 'fascist Koran' outlawed in Holland, the constitution rewritten to make that possible, all immigration from Muslim countries halted, Muslim immigrants paid to leave and all Muslim 'criminals' stripped of Dutch citizenship and deported 'back where they came from'. But he has nothing against Muslims. 'I have a problem with Islamic tradition, culture, ideology. Not with Muslim people.'
    Wilders has been immersing himself in the suras and verse of seventh-century Arabia. The outcome of his scholarship, a short film, has Holland in a panic. He is just putting the finishing touches to the 10-minute film, he says, and talking to four TV channels about screening it.
    'It's like a walk through the Koran,' he explains in a sterile conference room in the Dutch parliament in The Hague, security chaps hovering outside. 'My intention is to show the real face of Islam. I see it as a threat. I'm trying to use images to show that what's written in the Koran is giving incentives to people all over the world. On a daily basis Moroccan youths are beating up homosexuals on the streets of Amsterdam.'
    Wilders is lucid and shrewd and the provactive soundbites trip easily off his tongue. He was recently voted Holland's most effective politician. If 18 months ago he sat alone in the second chamber or lower house in The Hague, his People's Party now has nine of 150 seats and is running at about 15 per cent in the polls. His Islam-bashing seems to be paying off. And not only in Holland. All across Europe, the new breed of right-wing populists are trying to revive their political fortunes by appealing to anti-Muslim prejudice.
    A few months ago the Swiss People's Party of the pugnacious billionaire Christoph Blocher won a general election while simultaneously running a campaign to change the Swiss constitution to ban the building of minarets on mosques. Last month in Antwerp, far-right leaders from 15 European cities and from political parties in Belgium, Germany and Austria got together to launch a charter 'against the Islamisation of western European cities', reiterating the call for a mosque-building moratorium.
    'We already have more than 6,000 mosques in Europe, which are not only a place to worship but also a symbol of radicalisation, some financed by extreme groups in Saudi Arabia or Iran,' argued Filip Dewinter, leader of Belgium's Flemish separatist party, the Vlaams Belang, who organised the Antwerp get-together. 'Its minarets are six floors high, higher than the floodlights of the Feyenoord soccer stadium,' he said of a new mosque being built in Rotterdam. 'These kinds of symbols have to stop.'
    Where a few years ago the far right in Europe concentrated its fire on immigration, these days Islam is fast becoming the most popular target. It is a campaign that is having mixed results. In Switzerland, the Blocher party has been highly successful. In Holland, Wilders is thriving by constantly poking sticks in the eyes of the politically correct Dutch establishment. But when Susanne Winter ran for a seat on the local council in the Austrian city of Graz last month by branding the Prophet Muhammad a child molester, she lost her far-right Freedom Party votes.
    For the mainstream centre-right in Europe, foreigner-bashing is also backfiring. Roland Koch, the German Christian Democrat once tipped as a future Chancellor, wrecked his chances a fortnight ago by forfeiting a 12-point lead in a state election after a campaign that denounced Muslim ritual slaughter practices and called for the deportation of young immigrant criminals.
    Wilders echoes some of the arguments against multiculturalism that have convulsed Germany in recent years. Like many on the traditional German right, he wants the European Judaeo-Christian tradition to be formally recognised as the dominating culture, or Leitkultur. 'There is no equality between our culture and the retarded Islamic culture. Look at their views on homosexuality or women,' he says.
    But if Wilders shares positions and aims with others on the far right in Europe, he is also a very specific Dutch phenomenon, viewing himself as a libertarian provocateur like the late Pim Fortuyn or Theo van Gogh, railing against 'Islamisation' as a threat to what used to be the easy-going Dutch model of tolerance.
    'My allies are not Le Pen or Haider,' he emphasises. 'We'll never join up with the fascists and Mussolinis of Italy. I'm very afraid of being linked with the wrong rightist fascist groups.' Dutch iconoclasm, Scandinavian insistence on free expression, the right to provoke are what drive him, he says.
    He shrugs off anxieties that his film will trigger a fresh bout of violence of the kind that left Van Gogh stabbed to death on an Amsterdam street and his estranged colleague Ayaan Hirsi Ali in hiding, or the murderous furore over the Danish cartoons in 2005.
    The Dutch government is planning emergency evacuation of its nationals and diplomats from the Middle East should the Wilders film be shown. It is alarmed about the impact on Dutch business. 'Our Prime Minister is a big coward. The government is weak,' says Wilders. 'They hate my guts and I don't like them either.'
    And if people are murdered as a result of his film? 'They say that if there's bloodshed it would be the responsibility of this strange politician. It's almost a self-fulfilling prophecy. They're creating an atmosphere. I'm not responsible for using democratic means and acting within the law. I don't want Dutch people or Dutch interests to be hurt.'
    But he does want to create a stir. 'Islam is something we can't afford any more in the Netherlands. I want the fascist Koran banned. We need to stop the Islamisation of the Netherlands. That means no more mosques, no more Islamic schools, no more imams... Not all Muslims are terrorists, but almost all terrorists are Muslims.'
    Free speech or hate speech? 'I don't create hate. I want to be honest. I don't hate people. I don't hate Muslims. I hate their book and their ideology.'
    For more than three years, Wilders has been paying for his 'honesty' by living under permanent police guard as the internet bristles with threats on his life. He has lived in army barracks, in prisons, under guard at home. 'There's no freedom, no privacy. If I said I was not afraid, I would be lying.'
    There is little doubt that if Wilders's film exists - and it's shrouded in secrecy - and is broadcast, it will be construed as blasphemy in large parts of the world and may spark a new bloody crisis in relations between the West and the Muslim world.
    He does not seem to care. 'People ask why don't you moderate your voice and not make this movie. If I do that and not say what I think, then the extremists who threaten me would win.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008...herlands.islam

Warning !!!! I know posting this is opening a massive can of worms but if this clown releases his film then I'm sure the aftermath will be world news . Keep the replies sensible and debate not slate as you have proven before debates are possible.

Those who chose to slate rather than debate will be banned .
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 'I don't hate Muslims. I hate Islam,' says Holland's rising political starGeert W

I've got a feeling it may get quite heated in here unless people are sensible...

From what I have read it looks like he is being very selective about the verses he picks out... taken out of context anyone can pull the same trick with any of the religious books

Selective Verses from the Quran

Fight in the cause of Allah
    slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out
    slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers

Now lets see what the full version is

"Fight in the cause of Allah those against those who fight you, but do not transgress, for Allah loves not the transgressor. Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not aggressors. And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers. But if they desist, then lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrongdoers." (Al-Baqarah 190-193)[1]

See !!!
    Last edited by Undertaker; 22nd February 2008 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 'I don't hate Muslims. I hate Islam,' says Holland's rising political starGeert W

He's being just as 'extreme' as any extremist of any belief.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

Islam is not a religion, it's an ideology, the ideology of a retarded culture.
    what a brilliant quote..

but then im of the opinion that all religions are the ideology of retards, so perhaps im biased

weve proven we can have a sensible debate before as we did in the make me a muslim thread, so it is possible.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. He claims to be a Roman Catholic.. enough said.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode View Post
    weve proven we can have a sensible debate before as we did in the make me a muslim thread, so it is possible.
    exactly .
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    [B] has fuelled the debate on race in Holland
    what do Muslims & Islam have to do with race

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My personal opinion is all religions are hoax's which were devised to make a lot of money/so someone can laugh a lot at those who believed it. Because most religions go back so far we lose the actual origin so they seem plausible but I find that scientology (although I detest the thought of it) is just as realistic as any other religion.

I also think that most (not all) that are strong religious followers are scared of death so want to pretend there is something more. Some use it as an excuse for their own means (terrorists and extremists would fall into this catagory) e.g. in this example he has seen the hatred the media have caused towards Islam so thinks he will get support as a politician. Yes I blame the media for creating the vast amounts of racism in this country because of their twisted truths and lies they print, completely biased against other ethnicities in most cases.

I also blame religion for most of the conflict in the world today. I don't for one second think religions were created for this purpose but imagine a world without religion? I think that would solve the majority of conflicts/wars. And by this I mean ALL religions, not just some.

Anyway the above are all my opinions, I think they are fair and they were developed myself not copied from someone. I would actually be quite interested to see if anyone agrees with my thoughts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
    And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrongdoers." (Al-Baqarah 190-193)[1]
    That bit there for me isnt too selective and the way i see that means fight them till religion is for allah( all religion, the only religion left?)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybstard View Post
    That bit there for me isnt too selective and the way i see that means fight them till religion is for allah( all religion, the only religion left?)
    I read that as 'fight them until the people fighting against islam are gone. Those that aren't causing trouble, leave them be'

A sort of leave us and we'll leave you, if not we will defend ourselves.

Thanks
    Karma Level

how about there is no compulsion in relgion ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by super mike View Post
    I read that as 'fight them until the people fighting against islam are gone. Those that aren't causing trouble, leave them be'

A sort of leave us and we'll leave you, if not we will defend ourselves.
    Exactly, when Saladin conquered Jerusalem did he order his army to kill every non-musim? did he order the destruction of the churches, the synagogues? Did he force people to convert to islam.

This is just one example, agreed there are certain elements that are not following the true path of islam, but that is with every religion.

Just look at the zionist (chrisitians) hell bent on providing support to the zionist regime in israel so they can cause great havoc in the holy land, where are there actions coming from? the bible, the torah.

You guys do know everything you read in the media is not always true

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
    You guys do know everything you read in the media is not always true
    but everything you read in religious texts is?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm seriously pissed. I would probably love to say something banworthy but I'm too pissed

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    My personal opinion is all religions are hoax's which were devised to make a lot of money/so someone can laugh a lot at those who believed it. Because most religions go back so far we lose the actual origin so they seem plausible but I find that scientology (although I detest the thought of it) is just as realistic as any other religion.

I also think that most (not all) that are strong religious followers are scared of death so want to pretend there is something more. Some use it as an excuse for their own means (terrorists and extremists would fall into this catagory) e.g. in this example he has seen the hatred the media have caused towards Islam so thinks he will get support as a politician. Yes I blame the media for creating the vast amounts of racism in this country because of their twisted truths and lies they print, completely biased against other ethnicities in most cases.

I also blame religion for most of the conflict in the world today. I don't for one second think religions were created for this purpose but imagine a world without religion? I think that would solve the majority of conflicts/wars. And by this I mean ALL religions, not just some.

Anyway the above are all my opinions, I think they are fair and they were developed myself not copied from someone. I would actually be quite interested to see if anyone agrees with my thoughts.
    Tbh mate, I really don't think if religion wasn't here that the world would be a more peaceful place. We are, by our very nature, simply animals with a lot of aggression and very territorial regarding resources just as the apes etc. are in the wild.

I do agree this bloke is trying to exploit peoples beliefs/emotions to his personal benefit.

Religion has been a weapon of control through it's fear factor preached by a select few who want to stay in charge, just as politics (Using the media as well) is also doing in todays world.

We'd still be invading/killing/stealing etc. without religion, it's how we're designed and how we choose to 'live', hence we tend to enjoy agressive sports, as an outlet.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by burner1 View Post
    Tbh mate, I really don't think if religion wasn't here that the world would be a more peaceful place. We are, by our very nature, simply animals with a lot of aggression and very territorial regarding resources just as the apes etc. are in the wild.

I do agree this bloke is trying to exploit peoples beliefs/emotions to his personal benefit.

Religion has been a weapon of control through it's fear factor preached by a select few who want to stay in charge, just as politics (Using the media as well) is also doing in todays world.

We'd still be invading/killing/stealing etc. without religion, it's how we're designed and how we choose to 'live', hence we tend to enjoy agressive sports, as an outlet.
    Well reasons behind my comment on peace were:

Hitler may not have had the idea of a pure race therefore no holocaust
    There would not be a war over the holy ground
    Extremists like Al Quada would not have any holy text to selectively use as an excuse for their actions

These examples can go on. Obviously not all conflicts have been linked to religion but many have, I was thinking about it the other day.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The sad thing is that people are giving this cunt time and media exposure. He's clearly an idiot who will only find support amongst racists, and we already know there are plenty of those out there. The guy even looks like a complete nob to me. Quite simply, he's not worth our collective attention, so we should agree to just ignore him and not give him the time in our thoughts. Little cunt isnt worth it.

I do wonder sometimes how many christians have actually read the bible, some of the utter shite they spout about other religions. Christianity is - quite simply - the most violent of all relgions, yet Christians somehow manage to ignore all the murder and foreskin cutting off in Genesis. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The sooner we get over this god thing, the sooner we progress. I'm talking moving pavements, jetpacks and shit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by grint View Post
    The sooner we get over this god thing, the sooner we progress. I'm talking moving pavements, jetpacks and shit.

Mmmnnn Moving pavements. Iv wanted them since i was able to walk. My balance isnt good enough for a jetpack though, id be a danger to other jetpack users