Are you shit of FireFox being a bit shit? Tired of the crappy linux version of opera? Well, Apple have released their Safari browser for windows so you can now try that.

You'll need a fairly beefy computer for this - my 2700+ Athlon XP manages to run it even slower than FireFox which is an achievement and a half. Some say firefox is named after James May riding a turtle. This machine is shite but I'd expect a browser to be usable, and its not really so be warned.

First you'll need wine. Give it a bit of this in a terminal window, if you dont already have wine:
Code:
sudo apt-get install wine
From now on, the tutorial is shamelessly nicked from here http://phorolinux.com/how-to-run-saf...sing-wine.html

Go Applications(menu at the top left in a default Ubuntu setup) -> Wine -> Configure Wine. At the bottom, ensure you choose Windows XP from the list. There is a screenshot in the original of this from the link above if you need help.

Then you need to check you have some microsoft fonts. I already had them but it doesnt hurt to check. Back in your terminal:
Code:
sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts
Then (do this whether you already had them or not) copy them to wine:
Code:
cp /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial*.ttf ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts/
cp /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Times_New_Roman*.ttf ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts/
Then just pretend you are on windows. Go to the Safari 3 Beta download page using Firefox/whatever and download the windows installer. I pressed run from current location cos it means I dont have to save the file anywhere.

Make sure you unselect both options on the page about installing bonjour and the updater thing.

When the installer completes, go Applications - > Wine > Programs - > Safari and it should work

I like it but tbh I can type about twice as fast as the letters come up on this machine, and scrolling is even slower than firefox. I'll definitly try it again when I get my faster computer, and will probably be trying the windows version of safari next time I am on a windows box and can run it without the overhead of wine.

As i said, credit to http://phorolinux.com/how-to-run-saf...sing-wine.html for making the tutorial.

If you dont already have wine i can really recommend it. It will run a surprsing amount of stuff. Some things need some fucking about but you can always find a tutorial for big apps. Apparently even MS Office is fine.