Close

Thread: First timer

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default First timer

I am after a bit of advice really, just got my CBT and hoping to be through my test in the next few weeks. I am looking for my first bike, dont want it to be too weak but also dont want to kill myself. The bike will mainly be used for social run abouts and the odd commuting so must be reliable and look the part. I am 28 and been driving over 10 yrs with a clean licence so hopefully the insurance wont be too high....Looking budget of about £3k
    IMac, MacBook Pro, Ipad 2, Iphone 4, Iphone 3GS....Oh and a PC or 2 knocking about

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: First timer

How about an older cbr600? Or an old Yamaha yzf600 thundercat, thats the bike that the R6 took over from (i had one as a first bike) theyre real comfy, relly quite quick (but not nutter fast) and they look quite nice, very reliable also and you should be able to pick one up pretty cheap, failing that there are a lot of nice little 400 jap imports around like the zxr400 or the Honda rvf 400 (real pocket rocket)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Attachment 13798

Heres a pic of the thundercat... Not the quickest/nicest bike in the world but i'd say perfect for a beginner and for your budget
    Last edited by RSV; 13th March 2008 at 11:51 AM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Depends on if you want sport, comfort or a bit of both....!

I would hand on heart recomend a Honda, i am quite a bit chap and am not as keen on the never bikes as they are getting smaller and smaller. I liked my CBR600F1 or the CBR600 Sport, nice bikes easy to ride a bit sporty and comforable.

At one point i was commuting 160 miles a day on one and had no bother at all.....!

Suzuki Bandit's are nice, can get them VERY cheap but they are a little bit gutless.

THe Yamaha Fazer has always been good and the Honda Hornet is also excellent in the more site up and beg option but Hornets hold their value better.

No idea what you can get for 3k but do not let age effect your choice, get one that has frame mounted crash bobbins on it as you WILL drop the bike at some point and they can save you cash big time.

I have had....
    Suzuki Bandit N reg - Got T boned and had my knee rebuilt, bike a write off.
    CBR600 51 plate - Got clipped by joy riders on a roundabout, hit kerb, bike a write off.
    Fireblade 954 RR2 (the best bike by far) car jumped hatchings when motorway lanes mereged, bike a write off.
    BMW 1150GS Adventure (Went for the sensible option) - Has ABS and built like a tank, wider than a Mini takes the fun away in a comute, sold it and got a car.....

Bike are great fun but they really are dangerous a fuck.......

Think long and hard especially if you have kids.

God i am getting old......

Crashtestmac (Yes that is why i have this name.....)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestmac View Post

I have had....
    Suzuki Bandit N reg - Got T boned and had my knee rebuilt, bike a write off.
    CBR600 51 plate - Got clipped by joy riders on a roundabout, hit kerb, bike a write off.
    Fireblade 954 RR2 (the best bike by far) car jumped hatchings when motorway lanes mereged, bike a write off.
    BMW 1150GS Adventure (Went for the sensible option) - Has ABS and built like a tank, wider than a Mini takes the fun away in a comute, sold it and got a car.....

Bike are great fun but they really are dangerous a fu(k.......

Think long and hard especially if you have kids.

God i am getting old......

Crashtestmac (Yes that is why i have this name.....)

Dosent sound like you've had much luck mate? I've only ever had low speed silly crashes with not too much damage on the road... however i did have a serious crash on a track up North which meant i spent 7months in plaster and the year before that i broke my foot in 6 places on my enduro bike at a motorcross meeting...
    I've owned... Yamaha thundercat (1st road bike)

Honda fireblade(totally agree with crashtest)

Currently own an Aprillia Mille (which is great but costs a fortune to run)

& i've had countless trial, enduro and motocross bikes

Started riding at the age of 7 & im 31 now and only had the two real serious accidents, but i've had countless near misses...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

They are two dangerous for todays CRAP drivers.. the majority are ok but some people who have passed their test (wifes sister) cannot drive to save her life.. wrong gears blah blah blah... going in 2nd gear n a motorway at 60 mph is not good...

anyway due to shit drivers not looking in mirrors my dad has had his knee cap removed and broken arm.. and tibia and fibia snapped off completely. Sorry about the RANT but if i get hold of the inbred burnley scum who did this.. GRRR

JUST BE CAREFULL if you get a bike!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well I dont plan on using it all the time just for the odd commute and run around, I am very aware of how bad some people are at driving having seen enough carnage on the motorways, hope my girlfriend never meets to u she will never let me get 1
    IMac, MacBook Pro, Ipad 2, Iphone 4, Iphone 3GS....Oh and a PC or 2 knocking about

Thanks
    Karma Level

bikes are not dangerous - twats riding them are.

dont be a twat, keep your eyes open and always know where your exit is - you will fine if you live by those rules.

just last week i was talking to a guy that has just got back to work after being in hospital for 7 weeks following a smash on a motorway slip road, he was bitching about a 4x4 driver taking him out on the slip road - after talking to him, it turns out that he was travelling at 120-130mph UP the slip road off the motorway then slammed on the brakes, slipped between two cars and the 4x4 driver was in his correct lane, indicating correctly and mid turn when this prat slams into the side of the 4x4!!!!!!!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

cbr 600 all the way mate. for all the above reasons but more importantly, you wont find a more "forgiving" bike for learning on. granted, after a few weeks, if your a fast learner, you will want something a bit faster but if its your first bike, you will be over the moon with the speed and handling.

Thanks
    Karma Level

gsxr 600 lovely bike...

my japanese bride.... cant fault her. got it brand new last year..

love it

BP

Thanks
    Karma Level

Excellent news Taylor! I've been toying with the idea of getting myself a set of wheels over here, I was thinking the same as posted, CBR600 or if it's more for cruising/building confidence, get yourself a Honda CB500

or a Hornet

or a Suzuki SV650

or a Suzuki Bandit 600

All good bikes to start with and I'm pretty sure they're within your price range.

Good luck and let me know how it goes

If I had the cash, I would love the boys at Orange County Choppers to make me a custom...

Last edited by cyprus; 9th March 2008 at 02:13 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

my first bike was a Kawasaki Z750 and I'd highly recommend one of them
    got an R6 now... I would not recommend one of those first! lol

if you're in to sports bikes almost everyone I know says first choice has to be a CBR600