Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

PS3 Blu-ray copy protection supposedly cracked

Filed under: Blu-ray
    A cocky press release from West Indies-based Sly Soft proclaims their AnyDVD HD software can break through Blu-ray's copy protection, dubbed BD+. With their software, those that have Blu-ray players on their computers (and large hard drives) may be able to make copies of commercially released Blu-ray movies.

However, Sly Soft admits that future movies may not work with the software. "We must also admit that the Blu-ray titles released up to now have not fully exploited the possibilities of BD+. Future releases will undoubtedly have a modified and more polished BD+ protection." But will that stop their efforts? Unlikely. "The worst-case scenario then is our boss locks us up with only bread and water in the company dungeon for three months until we are successful again."

[Thanks, Alan!]
    Read | Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Blu-ray copy protection supposedly cracked

the flood gates are opened now
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

There have been quite a few blu ray bd+ rips posted to the newsgroups over the past couple of days

Thanks
    Karma Level

will the prices of burners and blanks come tumbling now ?

THE BARON

Thanks
    Karma Level

time to buy 1 soon

Thanks
    Karma Level

is there anyway to play the rips on the ps3 without burning them to blueray ?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Good stuff, I do like slysofts anyDVD, been using since it first cracked CSS on DVDs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

there any dvd hd has been able to do that for a while once ripped via the ps3 to a iso
    I have stolen money from a DF member and a member of Disqworld. All my personal details including families details are on file and will be made public to everyone if I do not refund the money I stole or send the goods I promised. My name will be ravaged across the net and the consequences will be severe if I do not sort this fucking mess out.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Breamy View Post
    there any dvd hd has been able to do that for a while once ripped via the ps3 to a iso

yeah but now the bd+ encryption gets removed so you can re-encode and/or just rip and reathor the movie. Shame blank dual layer br media prices are a fukin joke. When its cheaper to archive to hard disc you know somthing smells
    hasta la yeah baby yeah!

3tv

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by fevernova View Post
    is there anyway to play the rips on the ps3 without burning them to blueray ?
    Yep. Download the Blu-ray rip in .MKV format, then convert it to .VOB with MKV2VOB and burn it onto single or dual-layer DVD (depending on size). Same Blu-ray quality. No loss at all and is quite quick and easy!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Billhouse View Post
    Yep. Download the Blu-ray rip in .MKV format, then convert it to .VOB with MKV2VOB and burn it onto single or dual-layer DVD (depending on size). Same Blu-ray quality. No loss at all and is quite quick and easy!

Not sure where to get Blu-ray mkv films from, any help would be appreciated.

Also the blu-ray movies I had a look at on newzbin are 1080p and no indication of whether or not they are mkv (is that what x264 films are?), my Panasonic 42" plasma can only display up to 1080i, before I even think about downloading a zillion gigs only to find out I can't display them will the ps3 fiddle with the output so as it can be displayed on my plasma? Sorry to be a numpty lol.
    Last edited by Simate; 1st April 2008 at 10:39 AM.
    360 ID: Symate

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

How can it be the same quality when played on a DVD? Won't the PS3 just see it as a DVD and not a Bluray and then play it at the normal DVD resolution?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by liveseytowers View Post
    How can it be the same quality when played on a DVD? Won't the PS3 just see it as a DVD and not a Bluray and then play it at the normal DVD resolution?
    DVD and Blu-Ray are just storage mediums! As long as the data is not compressed there will be no loss in quality.

A bit like playing an MP3 off a hard drive then playing the exact same MP3 off an MP3 CD...same quality, just different medium.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by HermaN View Post
    DVD and Blu-Ray are just storage mediums! As long as the data is not compressed there will be no loss in quality.

A bit like playing an MP3 off a hard drive then playing the exact same MP3 off an MP3 CD...same quality, just different medium.
    That makes sense but a MP3 is not the same quality as a CD and I figure that a mkv file is not as good quality as a bluray or am I wrong?

My point is that if you do a direct copy from a Bluray then the quality should be just the same. But i'd imagine that a .mkv file won't be the same quality as an original bluray

Thanks
    Karma Level

That makes sense but a MP3 is not the same quality as a CD and I figure that a mkv file is not as good quality as a bluray or am I wrong?

My point is that if you do a direct copy from a Bluray then the quality should be just the same. But i'd imagine that a .mkv file won't be the same quality as an original bluray
    i know, but what im saying is that if you play an MP3 file from a HDD, then burn that MP3 file onto a CD and play it back it will be the exact same.

The same applies for films. If you have a DivX copy of a film on your HDD then burn it to a disc to give it to your mate and your mate plays it on their PC off the CD the quality will still be identical to the one on your HDD.

Exacts same applies for Blu-Ray, as long as the ripping process is not downgrading the quality then it will be identical to the Blu-Ray copy. Im assuming that when you rip a Blu-Ray movie to .mkv there is no compression, or anything done to the file which would degrade quality.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by HermaN View Post
    i know, but what im saying is that if you play an MP3 file from a HDD, then burn that MP3 file onto a CD and play it back it will be the exact same.

The same applies for films. If you have a DivX copy of a film on your HDD then burn it to a disc to give it to your mate and your mate plays it on their PC off the CD the quality will still be identical to the one on your HDD.

Exacts same applies for Blu-Ray, as long as the ripping process is not downgrading the quality then it will be identical to the Blu-Ray copy. Im assuming that when you rip a Blu-Ray movie to .mkv there is no compression, or anything done to the file which would degrade quality.
    Oh yeah I know what you mean HermaN, i wasn't disputing that. I was just wondering how it can be the same quality as a divx isn't as good as a dvd etc. If there is no compression on a .mkv file then it will be the same like you said.

Can anyone confirm if there is any compression when a .mkv? I've got Transformers .mkv file and its only 2.5 gig which is tiny?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Billhouse View Post

I get that and agree with Herman's point about being a medium for data storage. My question is, given that a blu-ray disk holds 25gb of data, once a film has been ripped from blu-ray to .mkv it will be a (max) 25gb file right? Once converted to .vobs, you'll have 25gb of vobs that won't fit on a single or dual layer dvdr...

I can see that maybe not all 25gb of the blu-ray disk can be used but still over half will be?! Or am I missing something...

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Converting Hitman 720p blu-ray rip with mkvtovob. Will burnt to dvd shortly and check out the results.
    Last edited by Simate; 1st April 2008 at 12:14 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh yeah I know what you mean HermaN, i wasn't disputing that. I was just wondering how it can be the same quality as a divx isn't as good as a dvd etc. If there is no compression on a .mkv file then it will be the same like you said.

Can anyone confirm if there is any compression when a .mkv? I've got Transformers .mkv file and its only 2.5 gig which is tiny?
    2.5 gig! Must have been compressed to fu(k.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Overdose View Post
    I get that and agree with Herman's point about being a medium for data storage. My question is, given that a blu-ray disk holds 25gb of data, once a film has been ripped from blu-ray to .mkv it will be a (max) 25gb file right? Once converted to .vobs, you'll have 25gb of vobs that won't fit on a single or dual layer dvdr...

I can see that maybe not all 25gb of the blu-ray disk can be used but still over half will be?! Or am I missing something...

DJ OD
    It all depends on how much the actual film uses. Cos while single layer Blu-Ray can hold upto 25GB and the Blu-Ray film disc might have 13GB of that 25GB in use, only 6GB might be the actual film, and the other 7GB is all the extras such as the making of, the trailers, menus, menu music, etc, etc.

So it all depends on how large the actual film only part of the disc is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast