Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bad News Not Having much luck.......

You all may recall my thread about the wife dropping water on my laptop and the insurance company not covering laptops.......well i sold it for spares in the end anyway......the phantom menace has stuck again but this time in the disguise of my 2 year old daughter.....

Came in to my computer room (normally the door is closed) to find her pooring my FULL can of coke over my desktop pc..... astonished it was still running and she hadn't been electricuted i pulled the plug and begand mopping out the inside of the case...long story cut short is after a good clean i started it up and basically its fried or appears to be nothing happening at all.....

Luckily i have checked and its definately covered this time..... they cover desktops but not laptops....

The pc is a Sony Vaio R222 (its a AMD 2.8, upgraded a year ago to 1gb memory, 400gb hard drive, 128mb graphics card.

Questions are:

1) If they replace i know i have new for old, i paid 1k for this around 3 years ago how does the new for old work...

2) Would they allow me to remove one of the hard drives, its full of baby photos and other personal items so do not want to lose them, obviously its not fried that is !

3) WOuld they just replace the actual desktop or would they replace the LCD too? There is nothing wrong with the LCD but it wouldn't match any new PC

Thanks

A very pished off person !
     iPhone 6 baby...
     iMac 24", 2.4Ghz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
     Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, 250GB, 4GB RAM

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Not Having much luck.......

Get the baby photos off now, just in case they say no (can't imagine they would but the PC is their property once they pay out for another). Take it out and drop it into a mates PC and get the stuff you need.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cassy34 View Post
    Get the baby photos off now, just in case they say no (can't imagine they would but the PC is their property once they pay out for another). Take it out and drop it into a mates PC and get the stuff you need.
    befor you do that make shour they dont use a tamper tag type sticker as if that is broken insurance will be most likely be void and you dont wont that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

..and they wont replace the LCD, unless your daughter poured coke over that as well

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

really they can't give me a new desktop and a non matching screen can they ? ..... reckon the daughter may have covered it in coke too as its not switching on at all ...

As a side note how fooked is coke in a computer, reckon they might fix it ?

Bit pished as the hard drive appears to be fooked so can't get the photos off, luckily they have been printed but i wanted to keep a backup............shame i never thought about backing the contents up , well learnt the hard way this time....
     iPhone 6 baby...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TIN CAN View Post
    Questions are:

1) If they replace i know i have new for old, i paid 1k for this around 3 years ago how does the new for old work...

2) Would they allow me to remove one of the hard drives, its full of baby photos and other personal items so do not want to lose them, obviously its not fried that is !

3) WOuld they just replace the actual desktop or would they replace the LCD too? There is nothing wrong with the LCD but it wouldn't match any new PC
    Nae luck mate!! I remember reading about the whole laptop fiasco not too long ago!

As for your questions...

1) If you paid £1,000 for the desktop 3 years ago you will most likely get a new PC for the same value (£1,000) so it will be a hell of a lot better!

2) Phone and ask, as said above once they pay for the new machine you old one belongs to them! If they so no, just take it out, recover the data to your laptop using an external caddy, wipe it and put it back

3) They will only replace the tower if that is all you have reported as being fooked! If the LCD still works they have no reason to fork out for a new one just cos it doesnt match the new tower.

Keep us up to date! And from now on lock all your PC's laptops, etc in waterproof/shockproof cases! lol!!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers mate. They are collecting the desktop and LCD tomorrow as it appears both were damaged by coke ..... . Its going to a company called powerplay who called and advised that they will check if its a repair or new one and get back to me within 5 days, trouble is no computer or laptop now as still undecided on laptop, was thinking MacBook pro but.....

Suppose I need to make a decision on laptop as on iphone until then which takes ages to type although I am getting better!!
    Last edited by TIN CAN; 25th March 2008 at 07:47 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

So its gone today via courier, anyone know the chances of it being fixed?? I mean how repairable is a litrevof coke in a computer a monitor?

Anyone ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I had a laptop go pop due to coke damage before now (took ages before going pop incidently ) and that came back repaired so could go either way mate

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Had a call today they are replacing it all, apparently they are looking for one to replace it with......,anyone know what to expect on the replacement side of things, like will I be able to get one with wifi inside as I added that as extra on mine etc, they said they will call back with the replacement option soon.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

update: They just called to offer a new sony and monitor or I could look around and get one that I like SO went searching a picked out the top spec Imac with 24" screen and 2.8 c2d etc. Its like a million times better than my old Sony with 15" screen LOL. Just got to wait for delivery.

Thanks for all the advice not long and will be back on computer and not via i
    iPhone all the time !!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

i hope you knocked seven shades of shite out of your child for that...

or at least insist everyone in the household drinks from a toddlers cup with a lid ffs.

2 machines fucked by drinks in that time frame isnt bad luck, its poor liquid management.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TIN CAN View Post
    picked out the top spec Imac with 24" screen and 2.8 c2d etc. Its like a million times better than my old Sony with 15" screen LOL. Just got to wait for delivery.
    Something tells me your luck has just changed

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yep no more drinks in computer room!!!!

As for laptop not got one yet but when I do , no one is going nearer it LOL

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

For future reference for ANYONE who has a similar bad experience with electrical equipment.

If you equipment gets wet and is still working. Power it down IMMEDIATELY! It's not a well known fact, but most electrical components CAN withstand a small amount of water.

Follow these tips as it is for REAL. It was documented on the Gadget Show last year.

Make sure you strip your equipment down completely. Ensure you dry everything using cotton buds, paper towels, anything really.

Place all the parts in the airing cupboard for a few days to dry out any further traces of water. As long as EVERYTHING is dried out completely, you should be able to rebuild and turn your equipment back on with no problems.

This test was made by the Gadget Show last year with Mobile phones.
    YouTube - The Gadget Show - Jon Bentley - How To Dry Your Gadgets

IT SAYS THE VIDEO IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. IT IS, Click the RED link at the top of the embedded video to be redirected to YouTubes website.
    Last edited by DejaVu; 4th April 2008 at 05:46 PM. Reason: YouTube Link didnt function correctly!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

So this is me from my nice BIG new iMac 24" speedy machine...... my god compared to my old vaio 15" its ......well you can't even compare lol....

Now just got to sort out how to run everything lol
     iPhone 6 baby...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just got to sort the cables etc but fook me 24" is massive lol p.s the pink walls are not by choice, spare room in new house lol
     iPhone 6 baby...