Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Need a good book for fitting a kitchen.

Sometime in the near future I plan on fitting my own kitchen. Can anyone recommend a good book to buy for this? I've looked at Amazon and the Tommy Walsh range but I don't know if they're any good.

Being a tight Jock an e-book would be even better.
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Need a good book for fitting a kitchen.

do you value your time much? seriously mate, if you value your time at anything at all (more than £10.00 per hour say) then pay someone else to do it. if you get the right person, they will do it in 1/10 of the time and a better job. an average kitchen should cost no more than 500-600 to fit, now i know your thinking of saving this money but it will take you a lot longer than the 2 days it will take someone who knows what they are doing. its not hard but it depends on what tools u got handy and your knowledge of basic "work" skills. goos luck whatever you decide mate

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/diy/kitche...hen_index.html

TBH Ive fitted my own kitchen in a previous house and its a peice of piss to do.
    Cupboards are all basic flatpack jobbies, as long as your floor is flat. Some do have adjustable legs anyway. The plumbing is usually fairly easy assuming your sink is staying in the same position.The electric oven already had a point to wire to altho I had the gas hob done for me by a plumber. The hardest bit is the worktops, I used those unsightly joint strip things but would not again, next time I'll get the worktops fitted. (The joints were the only thing I regretted). Tiling between worktops and wall cupboards again was quite easy.
    All in all I would do it yourself assuming you are a fairly competent DIYer, just get the gas, electric and worktops done by a profesional.
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Although the idea of saving money helps to be honest the idea of installing the kitchen myself appeals to me more.

I would say I'm fairly competent in DIY. I have virtually every tool you can mention (please don't). I wanted to install my last kitchen but my ex who's dad was useless at DIY wanted a professional in. I relented and let someone else do it but a few months later the worktop at the join began to swell. Obviously water was getting in, however the installer blamed the worktop manufacturer which was a cop out but I learned my lesson.

I would enjoy installing it myself anyway and I have no mental woman on my back every two seconds now.
    Last edited by Argyll; 23rd March 2008 at 03:28 PM.
    I understand and accept that some people hold opinions that are different to my own. Living in a free and democratic society, I fully embrace and respect their right to be wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm in the middle of installing my kitchen as we speak, Just having a coffee break. It does take a considerable amount of your free time. But there's nothing two testing. Install cost is way more then five hundred by a pro. Fitter wants £200 for installing the worktop alone. my advice is get the most expensive flatpack you can find and it'll still come out cheaper. GO FOR IT !

PS. anyone know where I can get some cheap granite worktop

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree Moe. The guy that fitted mine last time charged £1000. I'm told Howdens are pretty good as the cabinets come already assembled.

The guy who fitted my last kitchen tried to convince me to buy from Howdens. I now know that probably this was to save him from assembling the flat packs but still charge me the same for installing.

Anyone had a Howdens kitchen? And the question still stands about buying a good book.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

howdens stuff is very good mate. if your going to get appliances from there, avoid the cheapest entry level stuff. the cabinets are great and the doors are great (obv. depending on what u spen as to quality). its all the same stuff as thats in one of the big shops - b&q i think (or maybe MFI). i have used them for 6/7 kitchens and would highly reccomend them. flat packed stuff is shite compard to howdens and about the same price.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i used to fit kitchens for a living, about 4 years worth staring when i was still a wee pup.
    i must say, it is easy but it's all in the planning, measure everything twice, ( as they old saying goes, measure twice - cut once) make sure you have plenty of room to work and try and keep your working space clear and tidy, you can waste a lot of time trying to find that screwdriver you 'just had a minute ago' if you have another, easily accessable room you can utilise, built up the units in there so you are not falling over yourself, make sure all the kitchen thats coming out is clear and ready to be ripped out.
    as for the worktops, you can usually get someone in to do the joints, there is a fellow around the corner from me with a jig/router etc and charges £10 per joint, if your going to cut the worktops yourself, get a circular saw and a blade with as many teeth as possible, more teeth, finer cut, get at least 80.
    before you fit worktops/doors make sure ALL units are flush and level, again, check twice, try 'rocking' all the units individually to check for movement, it's a real hassle to adjust when the worktops and doors are on.
    one final thing, do not rush, go at a comfortable pace, stop often and take a look too check if everything is going to plan. good luck.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks guys for the advice. I'm going to cut the joints myself. No point doing half a job.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

just take ur time m8 and fix all ur pipe work before u put in kitchen
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

try and get a router bit that matches the profile of the worktop, and do that side first to give yourself enough length in case thie first one dosn't butt up properly.
    cut the worktop upside down and front to back, this will give you the chance of the best cut with no chipping.