Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question What fresh herbs?

Ok, mon tres bons petite Gordon Bleus, some culinary gardening advice please.

I want to grow some fresh herbs this year and have acquired a low level terracotta planter for that purpose. It has six holes round the side and a large hole in the centre - you know the sort of thing? I think they are known as strawberry or herb planters, but I may be wrong.

I do not need, because I already have them growing elsewhere, mint, rosemary, chives and flat leaf parsley.

So, what should I grow - and why? I cannot yet cook, but am having to learn very quickly, so please don't recommend things that are so esoteric that I'd only ever use them if I had three Michelin rosettes.
    Please help valuable medical research by Folding@Home - you are welcome to join us in Team 37761, Swanny's Irregulars.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: What fresh herbs?

I use a lot of basil (pasta sauces/salads), rosemary (goes with lots of things), corriander (curry/thai)
    Download my latest breaks and electro mixes or listen to Sellout Breaks FM

Thanks
    Karma Level

how about some mint i second the basil and coriander easy to grow though not strictly a herb would be some Rocket nice in those salads you'll no doubt be serving up with your culinary masterpieces!!
    Bitches aint shit!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Coriander for sure, adds a twist to a lot of dishes. And the basil for pizza pasta and anything italian.
    Look here, note coriander isn't listed but is easy to grow & tasty

http://www.meadowscape.co.uk/online/...0easyherbs.htm
    "Friendly fire will not be tolerated"

Thanks
    Karma Level

curry plant/basil/corriander/mint/parsley/rosemary all grow easily in my garden.... dont have to do much just water and sunlight.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I dont grow much in the way of herbs but last year and this year i been growing, lettuce leaves, rocket, chives, tomatoes, really hot chillies and peppers. All really easy to grow and taste much better than store brought stuff

Thanks
    Karma Level

i love spicy basil chicken (pad gra prow) so much I just grow basil!!

I'm only in a flat, so space is limited. I did grow a tomato plant too, they're indestructable and cuttings take to soil like crack to a whore.

I did grow chives, but they were flavourless, thin and most of it looked like dead grass - not entirely worth it! So I swapped out the space for a chili plant.

also got some lemongrass germinating at the moment, slow grow but love thai food, so it's all good! (and it's expensive)
    I'm new to this :huh:

Thanks
    Karma Level

result Re: What fresh herbs?

Sorry, one and all, but I missed these replies until just now. Many thanks, I'll make my selection and start growing.

Next, I need to learn how to cook!
    Please help valuable medical research by Folding@Home - you are welcome to join us in Team 37761, Swanny's Irregulars.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oregano.

Mike.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by whatnow View Post
    i love spicy basil chicken (pad gra prow) so much I just grow basil!!

I'm only in a flat, so space is limited. I did grow a tomato plant too, they're indestructable and cuttings take to soil like crack to a whore.

I did grow chives, but they were flavourless, thin and most of it looked like dead grass - not entirely worth it! So I swapped out the space for a chili plant.

also got some lemongrass germinating at the moment, slow grow but love thai food, so it's all good! (and it's expensive)
    Hi mate
    I also live in a flat and have been growing my own herbs this year. Gotta say though, the basil is very thin on the ground (Literally lol), planted a good 20 or so seeds, but only a few have come up... I also planted chives (I cut these back occasionally when they're small to make them grow bigger), corriander and parsley, all of which are thriving, just a shame about the basil as I used to buy quite a lot of it and was hoping to save a bit of cash and get the fresh picked taste.

Got any tips on getting the basil to grow better or is it pot luck? (Pun intended )
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

chives, rosemary, mint. grow like weeds in my garden used to have sage an thyme too but for sum reason they wont grow back? also i cant grow parsley or corriander. my nxt door neighbour has had basil growing on his kitchen window but its hard to grow here so he tells me.

btw i dont care for these plants i have a fair sized garden but it is in alot of shade trees n stuff. so i just throw seeds or plant wherever and hope lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Right - I have bought and planted in the herb planter:

Flat leaf parsley (in the big hole at the top) and Coriander, Golden marjoram, Common thyme, Sage, Sweet basil, French tarragon in the smaller holes round the side.

It is now full and the choice was partly based on your combined advice and partly what was available between the three garden centres visited - herbs seem a tad thin on the ground (ho! ho!) right now so there wasn't a vast choice.

I already have three different mints, chives, garlic chives and rosemary so I reckon I should have enough whilst I learn what to do with them all!

I might try some oregano in a hanging basket, which is where the rosemary is all alone after the previous flat leaf parsley and sage died last winter, but apart from annoying any passing Yanks by pronouncing oregano correctly and not in their bizarre way I'm not sure what else use it would be.

By the way, I was advised to get Italian flat leaf parsley but could only find Tesco's (yes - Tesco was the only place that had any!) Mediterranean flat leaf parsley - would that be the same? And if not, what difference will it make?

Now, where's my Noddy's Cookery Book ...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I pronounce oregano the American way to annoy English people.

It's good for Italian food so use it on pizzas, in tomato sauces etc. It also keeps its flavour well when dried which is handy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just beware of planting mint or parsley, they will quickly take over the whole planter.
    Plant them in there own pots first, then into the planter.

Thanks
    Karma Level

currently have thyme, oregano, majoram and rosemary

when making spag bol I get a nice handfull of the thyme,oregano and majoram

slice and dice into almost fine powder (alright.... not that fine) and add.

THE BARON