Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default water hammer type problem

over the last few days i have heard a loud banging sound from the cold water pipes in my house, this noise goes away when i turn the cold water taps on, i have checked all the pipes in my house and non of them appear to be leaking, each appliance has its own stop cock and i cannot see a main stop cock anywhere.

could it be anything i have overlooked or os it a case of calling united utilities
    "When i rape you i'll remember to make sure your kneeling facing the television with Fawlty towers on uk gold." - B.I.G.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: water hammer type problem

If it has only happened over the last few days it could be a pressure problem out on their network. You could check to make sure all your pipes are secure (somtimes the pipe clips break and bang against beams and boards in the house) but other wise not much you can do except for installing a small surge vessel on the incoming pipe (not recommended due to cost and maintenance issues).

You should have a main stop valve near the border of your property close to the water company stop valve on the pavement. There is a possibility it has been burried if it's not been used for a long time. If you find it turn it off and see if the noises stop. If not it is something else. If the banging noise stops touch the valve and see if you can feel any vibration, if so most likely the network. Is there any work being done locally on the water system ?????
    PSN - ThirtyQuidKid

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by gurry View Post
    If it has only happened over the last few days it could be a pressure problem out on their network. You could check to make sure all your pipes are secure (somtimes the pipe clips break and bang against beams and boards in the house) but other wise not much you can do except for installing a small surge vessel on the incoming pipe (not recommended due to cost and maintenance issues).

You should have a main stop valve near the border of your property close to the water company stop valve on the pavement. There is a possibility it has been burried if it's not been used for a long time. If you find it turn it off and see if the noises stop. If not it is something else. If the banging noise stops touch the valve and see if you can feel any vibration, if so most likely the network. Is there any work being done locally on the water system ?????

yes there was some work done last week, we had a day without water coz they had to replace a pipe that was 200 years old orsomething like that
    "When i rape you i'll remember to make sure your kneeling facing the television with Fawlty towers on uk gold." - B.I.G.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

u need to find ur stopcock m8 (if not only for this but an emergency) and turn it down a turn or so
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

You'll always get pressure fluctuation in your pipes, just turning taps on and off will do that. As has been said check the pipes are all secure, replace loose or broken clips and maybe fit some more.
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by the.insane View Post
    yes there was some work done last week, we had a day without water coz they had to replace a pipe that was 200 years old orsomething like that
    It sounds like the local water board might need to be informed. Check with some of your neighbours and see if anyone else has a similar problem that started after the work. They might need to check their valving on the network. Probarbly nothing serious but might be worth letting them know.

On another note as bigbadleo said you really need to find your main stop tap......
    PSN - ThirtyQuidKid

Thanks
    Karma Level

you could try a glass hammer that usually solves the problem just ask for one in any DIY store.
    Tommy J

Big is not always better.... Take Fat people for example.

Push down Taps, you know it makes sense. Wash Them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy J View Post
    you could try a glass hammer that usually solves the problem just ask for one in any DIY store.

would i need to use rubber nails with the glass hammer

i found the main valve and turned the pressure up to full, it doesnt happen as often now, but i have noticed it happen only with the washing machine running,

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by the.insane View Post
    would i need to use rubber nails with the glass hammer

i found the main valve and turned the pressure up to full, it doesnt happen as often now, but i have noticed it happen only with the washing machine running,
    try turning it down m8!!
    there must be a loose pipe near ur washing machine!
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 