Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default can someone help me please, download speeds all over the place, what 2 try next?

hi

i'm having some serious problems with my donwload speeds at the min, with the download speeds all over the place, going to zero then twice the speed i normally get, shows best in this pic of newsleecher i screen grabbed.

heres a pic of the router status, it tells me i'm getting 1850 downstream.

i've just had the house rewired and had a phone line put in every room, it started happening about the same time so i thought it could be a hardware issue so started googling.

i now have all the other lines disconnected and the router is connected dircetly to the master socket via a filter (3rd one tried). still the same.

i'm using a netgear 834dg, thought it could be that so tried the bt home hub i have and still the same.

i have rang bt and as usual we both can hardly understand each other, and anything past whats on their screen they have no idea on. they say theres nothing wrong as far as they can see.

also when i run speedtest.net the needle jumps about like crazy, and the small light that goes over the arch as the test runs is stuttering on the download, whereas the upload is smooth on both needle and light.

is there anything else i can do as this is really doing my head in now

cheers for your time

Gog
    :kissass

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: can someone help me please, download speeds all over the place, what 2 try next?

Have you reset your router properly? As in 30 seconds on the reset? Also, I am assuming you are using a microfilter? Have you tried a different one?

If it is just newsgroups, perhaps try another port to connect to the server.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: can someone help me please, download speeds all over the place, what 2 try next?

i haven't held reset in for 30 seconds no, bu have reset it a couple of times.

i tried with a bt home hub i have too and it was the same.

tried 3 different filters too with no joy

not too sure which ports or how to open them tbh, will hav a google.

thanks for the help mate

Gog

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just to be sure, hold down reset for 30 seonds when it is on, then unplug it whilst holding down reset for a further 30 seconds, and then try it again.

Ports will only make a difference if it is newsgroups you are encountering the problems.

Is the machine hard wired to the adsl connection, or is it connected to the router wirelessly?
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

have u installed any new proggys m8. i just installed avg8 and made my lappy run like sh-it.
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

try the tweaktester at dslreports. used to work wonders in the early days of DSL. Rwin especially can make a difference if your line quality isnt 100%

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

Thanks
    Karma Level

I take you have turned off any anti virus software? I haven't used windows in a while now but I do remember having a spell of spiking due to AV scanning every incoming packet. I turned it off and sorted it. Would explain why your outgoing connection is fine.

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for all the replies guys mucho appreciated

will give the reset a go in a min.

2 pc's are hardwired and 1 laptop is wireless and they all show the same symptoms.

newsleecher is the only thing i have with a download status bar so not definate if its only newsleecher, but speedtest.net does have the erratic needle on the download but not the upload.

haven't installed any new progs i can think of.

will take a look at tweaktester cheers mate.

i haven't done anything with the antivirus, but its been avg for over a year and have never had any probs up to now. will try disabling it now though to see if it makes any difference.

cheers

Gog

Thanks
    Karma Level

It sounds like sounds its something to do with the wiring the only way to test this is to test in the bt test socket to get to this you need to unscrew the master socket and try in the socket behind the faceplate this disconnection all the other phonelines in the house if its still the same then best thing to do is contact your isp.
    If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else

Thanks
    Karma Level

I always use the socket behind the faceplate, as it tends to be a better signal.