Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

US chain drops 'terror scarf' ad

The only victory for extremists is the right wing (unt (Malkin) who got this advert pulled. I own a tradional Jordanian keffiyeh, am I a terrorist??

US chain drops 'terror scarf' ad

By James Coomarasamy
    BBC News, Washington

Dunkin' Donuts said there was a "possibility of misperception"

The US chain Dunkin' Donuts has pulled an advert following complaints that the scarf worn by a celebrity chef offered symbolic support for Islamic extremism.
    The online advert for iced coffee featured the well-known US television chef Rachael Ray.
    She was wearing a black-and-white checked scarf around her neck that resembled a traditional Arab keffiyeh.
    This fashion choice incensed at least one prominent conservative blogger, who said it evoked extremist videos.
    The blogger, Michelle Malkin, called the garment "a regular adornment of Muslim terrorists appearing in beheading and hostage-taking videos".

Other criticism followed and the coffee and doughnuts chain has now decided to drop the advert.

Fashion statements may seem insignificant, but when they lead to the mainstreaming of violence - unintentionally or not - they matter
    Michelle Malkin

In a statement, Dunkin' Donuts said the silk scarf had been "selected by Rachael Ray's stylist and that no symbolism was intended.
    "But given the possibility of misperception the commercial was no longer being used."
    This has caused a fair amount of consternation in some quarters but the conservative blogger at the centre of the row has praised the decision.
    "Fashion statements may seem insignificant, but when they lead to the mainstreaming of violence - unintentionally or not - they matter," Ms Malkin has written.

Link
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: US chain drops 'terror scarf' ad

Some wise comments from BBC web visitors

The black and white scarf is part of the traditional attire of the Palestinian, Lebanese, Jordanian Arabs. The same way the red and white scarf is for Saudi, Omani, Bahraini Arabs. This is like saying that UPS should change its brown uniform because it pleases the Hitler Youth.
    Fuad Khan, Dallas, USA

I've had the misfortune of hearing Mrs. Malkin's comments in the past. Reality is not her friend. Intent on shocking her right-wing fringe audience, she displays a remarkable ignorance that simply defies explanation. I'm horrified that she receives so much attention. Can we please move on to the bigger issues at hand? Such as why Mrs. Ray's image appears to advertise deep-fried bread and sugar at a time of record child obesity?
    Kim R, Toronto, Canada

I am amazed by the reaction of the Dunkin' head office, is that what it takes to push around a multi-million dollar corporation? I think there are a few oil companies we should try to blog about...
    Vitali, Houston, TX, USA

This story does not represent America. We too realize the absurdity of Dunkin Donuts caving in to a right wing conservative's false fears.
    Candace, Detroit, USA

Quite possibly this is the most exposure the Palestinian cause has ever received in the mainstream media in the US. Sadly, the debate has been brought forth by a fatty-food distributor and a little known conservative pundit.
    Christian Di Meo, Boston, USA

I am a Seventh-day Adventist minister and theologian. I have a black and white checked scarf. I got it in Jordan. I've worn it in Berrien Springs, where I live and work. Is that okay for Ms Malkin? Should she contact the folks in Berrien Springs, MI and have them put surveillance on me? There is probably something to be more outraged about. But this is quite close to the top of ignorance on the part of one or some, and cowardice on the part of others.
    Lael Caesar, Berrien Springs, MI USA

This blogger got exactly what she wanted... attention and page visits. I hope she found it worth losing any credibility she may have formed with her existing audience.
    Chris Fane, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

What a load of bull! American conservatives need a big slap. Stupid right wing fu(ks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nothing about the US surprises me anymore. Which in itself is a fu(king crying shame.

This is just the latest in a long line of moves by public figures and/or corporations to appease the narrow minded, uneducated and ignorant.

But there's a wider issue for me, the US public can only react to the media stories or the fear mongering their leaders undertake. It's like a self-perpetuating hate machine, the leaders instill fear, which in turn drives the public to demand such moves. The leaders then consider their policies are a reaction to public opinion and round and round we go. All the while the US becomes ever more insular and inward looking......

They need to break the cycle of fear, that's why it has to be Obama '08

Thanks
    Karma Level

you can buy these in Burtons...I dont understand this overreaction...
    Here

Thanks
    Karma Level

Amen brother, I want to see Obama as President this time next year, I reckon he's the only one with the potential to make positive changes throughout America - and they're much needed changes.
    Americans would be stupid fu(ks not to vote for him.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fuck Me, Imagine if a load of Geordie Fans went on Tour in America with the Black and White stripped shirts!

It's simply getting more and more silly as each days goes on. Bring on WW III to sort the whole fucking thing out once and for all!
    We all make mistakes sometimes