Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Cannot download from Internet Explorer

I've searched and couldn't find a thread with my problem, so apologies if I've missed it.

My internet explorer works perfectly, apart from one thing. Two days ago it stopped downloading anything.

Torrents, but also anything from any website. Updates, new programs - anything.

It says that it's downloading, it comes up with the temporary folder download window, but then nothing. In regard to the torrents, it doesn't open BitLord, even if BitLord is open, it still doesn't "transfer the file" to Bitlord.

If I download a program from the internet, it goes through all the normal processes until I get to the "Run/Don't Run" dialogue box and then nothing - it doesn't open.

I've tried saving the downloaded file rather than running straight from the internet. Again it goes through all the normal processes, but when it's finished there is no file.

Any ideas, I've tried everything I can think of. I've reset internet explorer, I did a system restore which allowed me to download one thing. When I tried to download something else (testing that it was actually working) it wouldn't download as above.

I logged on as a different user and it downloading worked okay.

I can't download any further spyware software because of the above problem and I've run AdAware, SpyBot and Spywareblaster. DOne a complete scan with AVG and can't find anything.

All help gratefully received.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Cannot download from Internet Explorer

try clearing out your temporary internet files.

then go and delete all the folders and files (except index.dat) from the following folder

c:\documents and settings\<user account>\local settings\temporary internet files\content.ie5

windows will not let you see the "content.ie5" folder. even with hidden and system files enabled. to get into it you will have to browse to the "temporary internet files" folder and then add \content.ie5 on to the end of the path in the address bar and press return.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i remember IE being fussy with downloads after so long, it was a very common problem with jpgs and used to always save them as untitled.bmp. I had forgotten all about the issue since ive been using Firefox for years now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by {{909}} View Post
    been using Firefox for years now.
    there's your cure m8.

i started using firefox years ago after having some stupid errors with IE, never used IE since.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.James View Post
    try clearing out your temporary internet files.

then go and delete all the folders and files (except index.dat) from the following folder

c:documents and settings<user account>local settingstemporary internet filescontent.ie5

windows will not let you see the "content.ie5" folder. even with hidden and system files enabled. to get into it you will have to browse to the "temporary internet files" folder and then add content.ie5 on to the end of the path in the address bar and press return.
    Thanks for your replys folks

I'm using Vista so the path is a bit different but I've now done all you suggested and still no joy. I've done a disk clean up etc and all the usual stuff but still nothing.

Although I don't have an issue with using Firefox, with the current problem, I can't actually download it to use it

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just as a suggestion, but have you looked at the following ?

http://support.microsoft.com/search/...2&mode=r&lsc=0

I cannot help you as I use XP myself and am loathe to run Vista, until bugs have been ironed out.

Good luck

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eh...what? View Post
    Although I don't have an issue with using Firefox, with the current problem, I can't actually download it to use it
    Exactly why I deleted my earlier reply to try firefox as I realised you couldnt DL it!

Do you have access to another machine on which you could DL firefox and transfer the exe file to a usb stick and try and install from there?

Also are you on IE7?
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Okay, based on a previous attempt to fix it, when I do a system restore it allows me to download one item and then nothing more (no bloody idea, but that's what it does).

So I did another system restore and used my one and only download opportunity to download Firefox. Yippeee. I can at least now download, so that problem is solved.

However, if anybody has any ideas about what could be causing the problem in Internet Explorer (yes it is 7), do let me know. The problem with Vista and Internet Explorer 7, is that IE comes loaded as part of the operating system, so you can't remove and reinstall.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Step 1: Install and run Firefox. Even basic Mozilla is better than IE.

Step 2: Ignore IE.

Step 3: Find MS IE software development (warning: this may not exist...)

Step 4: Firebomb MS software development.