Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Help with BT Vision!

Right, just got one of these from BT yesterday, and the damn thing wont work!!

Any time I plug it in I get

An error has occured, please wait while we try to reslolve this issue.

If the problem persists please contact us on 0845 600 ....
    and there is a error code "NR01" at the bottom with a grey bar that takes about 10 minutes to move along and finish what its doing.

Once the grey loading bar is complete the screen flickers and the screen re-appears again for a split second (this time without the grey bar at the bottom), then the screen goes blank and just stays like that.

The green power light on the Vision box flashes a few times, then stops and I cant get anything on screen at all!

I have tried re-booting, a soft reset, and a hard reset using the following methods, but I get the EXACT same thing happening every time!

SOFT REBOOT Turn power off then turn it on

SOFT RESET Press green button on box for 6 seconds - box will reset and restart – can take 5 minutes.

HARD RESET, MASTER RESET or DR (Disaster Recovery) Doing this will delete any recorded programmes

1. Remove the power cable from the rear
    2. Press and hold the down arrow and the ok button on the front of the box.
    3. Power up the box with the above buttons pressed in.
    4. After 10 seconds release the down and OK buttons.

The VBox will do a complete software download, which may take 30 minutes.
    The box will switch itself on and off a few times and at times it will appear nothing is happening (watch the hub, you will see the data lights flashing off and on), be patient, it is doing something.
    You will see a message saying there is a problem and to call a 0845 number, whilst it displays this it also has a NR01 error code displayed, a greyed bar also moves across the bottom of the screen at least twice.
    You will also get displayed a couple of cogs in the centre of the screen.
    This is all perfectly normal, just wait. It will do what it has to do.
    After all this it will ask you to scan for channels.

HOMEHUB AND VBOX RESET

1. Disconnect BT Vision box from the mains.
    2. Disconnect Hub from mains. Wait 10-15 minutes.
    3. Plug Hub back in. Wait for lights on hub to stop flashing.
    4. Plug in the VBox. It will go through several screens with blackouts in between, just leave it to it and wait.(Possibly 30 minutes)
    I even unplugged everything from the HomeHub and the Vision box overnight and tried setting it up step by step according to the manual, but still nothing!

BTW i'm also using those BT supplied comtrend powerline adapters to hook the Vision box to the HomeHub.

Any one got ANY ideas???

Cheers!
    Last edited by Mario87; 7th June 2008 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Help with BT Vision!

All I can think of mate is those homeplug things die if they go through a surge/trip protector, never had a BT vision box to play with..

Could be a million mile away

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its not in a surge protector, but iv heard that transformers being near them can fuck them up too, and I have my 360 PSU within about 10cm of the thing!

Managed to get hold of a long ethernet cable, will give that a try and see if it helps!
    Last edited by Mario87; 7th June 2008 at 05:58 PM.

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My BT Vision is fine, there were a few teething pains though. I know it sounds dumb but have you tried turning it fully off then on again? I used to get error codes saying I had to call them up but turned it off completely (not the standby mode) then on and it rescans and sets itself up again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by HermaN View Post
    I even unplugged everything from the HomeHub and the Vision box overnight and tried setting it up step by step according to the manual, but still nothing!
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    My BT Vision is fine, there were a few teething pains though. I know it sounds dumb but have you tried turning it fully off then on again? I used to get error codes saying I had to call them up but turned it off completely (not the standby mode) then on and it rescans and sets itself up again.
    That includes power
    Last edited by Mario87; 7th June 2008 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just got off the phone with BT, he made me do a factory reset, and a reboot, etc.

Told him I had done it before, then he decided to blame me for the problem saying if you do a factory (hard) reset more than 3 times the box "crashes" and is rendered useless!!

IS IT FUCK!!!! If that were true then Philips (who make the thing) must have employed some of the dumbest people they could to design such a system!

Anyway, he took my mobile number, said he would pass the details to another dept and they would call me within 48 hours to help me (Im assuming sending me a new box).

Then he went on to say that if I experience problems I should call them (a bunch of monkeys IMO) instead of trying to trobule shoot myself.

I just said "Yes, ok, ill do that next time", but WILL I FUCK! I had to explain about 15 times that I had done all this before, but he STILL made me do it again! And shock, horror.....it didn't work!

Hopefully the new box I get will work.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by HermaN View Post
    Told him I had done it before, then he decided to blame me for the problem saying if you do a factory (hard) reset more than 3 times the box "crashes" and is rendered useless!!
    I think what he means is that the box has a bootcounter in the file BOOT.PRF.

Everytime the box boots it incements a byte in this file. If the box boots up successfully it then zero's this counter.

If this counter is >= 4, the box then enters disaster recovery mode, where it downloads a fresh copy of the software.

Here is the part in the bootloader, you can see the where it compares to 4 and jumps to "disaster recovery mode"

RAM:9363F580 jal ReadBootFailureCount
    RAM:9363F584 nop
    RAM:9363F588 slti $t3, $v0, 4 # disaster recovery attempts (4)
    RAM:9363F58C bnez $t3, loc_9363F608 # change to B to always bypass disaster recovery
    RAM:9363F590 nop

Mick

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fair enuff, but he was implying that the box would be dead, and never mentioned anything about it trying to downloade the software again.

TBH, I reckon the HDD is dead, because it downloads the software then just freezes from there on, like its waiting to do something. On other forums folk are saying you should get "cogs" on screen after the software download while it sets everything up, but I just get a blank screen!

Also, got a call of them and they said that they would be sending out a technition to fit a new box?!?!?! Dont see why, its not exactly difficult, and the only reason I'm having probs is cos the box is faulty.

I asked them if I would be charged for this callout, but they said because its their fault, then they would foot the bill!

EDIT: HDD working fine! Cracked the Vision box open (used a hair dryer & scalple on the warranty sticker to keep it in tact, just incase the technition that comes round is a picky about stuff like that), put the HDD into an external caddy and I can read all the data off it just fine.
    Last edited by Mario87; 7th June 2008 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have bt vision mate and my box goes like that but usually messing around with the box and by that i mean switching it off and on for a while sorts it try turning it on without your ethernet plugged in so it crashes then remove the electric plug and connect your ethernet cable that works for me just leave it out for a while but i think the box itself is pretty poor as my box does it often and it is just hit and miss getting it up and running the tech help is awful i work for bt and i rearly hate the thought of even ringing them
    hope it gets sorted oon
    [live=blue1878]blue1878[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Right, the guy from BT came today and fitted a new (well actually refurbished) box, he was sound as, we just talked about bikes, games, cars, etc while waiting for the box to setup.

Now working 100% like it should!

Not bad for a free box! He also mentioned that at the start of next year new boxes made by a different manufacturer were coming out that had built in wireless!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Correct, although im not sure about the built in wifi...
    The new boxes are being manufactured by PACE.

http://digital-lifestyles.info/2008/...sion-box-deal/

Mick