Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info your route to riding a bike

Compulsory Basic Training for Motorcyclists and Moped Riders

This information will help you have a safe and enjoyable motorcycling career. The starting point for learners is the Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course which was introduced in 1990 to help reduce the very high accident rate among inexperienced motorcyclists.

The course is conducted by training organisations that have been approved by the Driving Standards Agency (DSA). All learner motorcycle and learner moped riders must complete a CBT course before riding on the road.

Also, with effect from 1 February 2001, all new car drivers wanting to validate the full moped entitlement granted with their full car licence, must complete a CBT course.

CBT courses can only be provided by Approved Training Bodies (ATBs). To gain this approval ATBs must have

Instructors who have successfully completed a 2-day assessment by DSA examiners

Sites approved by DSA for the off-road training aspects of the course

Most ATBs offer the loan of machines and helmets for the course. The CBT course syllabus includes five elements that have to be completed in sequence:

Element A - Introduction.

Element B - Practical on-site training.

Element C - Practical on-site riding.

Element D - Practical on-road training.

Element E - Practical on-road riding. (MINIMUM 2 HOUR ROAD RIDE)

When you have satisfactorily completed all five elements you will be issued with a Certificate of Completion of Training (DL196).

This is a legal document which serves to validate the relevant entitlements on the driving licence. It is important that the holder of a DL196 certificate considers the following points:

All DL196 certificates issued before 1 February 2001 were valid for 3 years from the date of issue.

A DL196 certificate issued after 1 February 2001 validating a provisional moped or provisional motorcycle entitlement lasts for 2 years. CBT will have to be re-taken if both theory/practical tests are not passed within the 2-year certificate life.

A DL196 certificate validating a full moped entitlement is not subject to expiry.

You do not have to take CBT again if you hold a full motorcycle licence and wish to obtain a licence for another category of motorcycle.

With effect from the 1 February 2001 riders completing their CBT course on a moped with more than 2 wheels or who use a motorcycle/sidecar combination will be restricted to riding those machines as a learner.

The motorcycle entitlement on provisional motorcycle licences issued before 1 February 2001 expires after 2 years. The law has now changed and holders of these licences can apply to have the licence replaced with one that will include provisional motorcycle entitlement valid to age 70.

Replacement licences should be applied for from DVLA using the normal application forms (available from Post Offices.

Once you have your Certificate (DL 196) you are advised to take additional training to pass your tests and qualify for a full motorcycle or moped licence.

CBT must be completed before riding on the road by all learner riders (and moped riders using a full car licence gained after 1 February 2001) who are resident on mainland Great Britain, islands that are connected to the mainland by a road, and the following islands: Wight, North Uist, Lewis, South Uist, Harris, Benbecula, mainland Orkney and mainland Shetland. Residents of all other islands will be exempt from the need to take CBT, but only if riding on roads which are on an exempt island.

Theory Test

You will need to pass a Theory Test before taking a practical test for a moped or motorcycle. You do not need to take a Theory Test if you have passed a moped test since 1 July 1996.

The Theory Test Pass Certificate is valid for 2 years. The practical test must be passed within this period otherwise the Theory Test will have to be taken again.

Full Motorcycle Licence Options

There are 2 types of full motorcycle licence to aim for:

A light motorcycle licence (A1) which restricts riders to any bike up to 125cc and a power output of 11kW. The practical test must be taken on a bike of between 75cc and 125cc.

A standard motorcycle licence (A) is obtained if the practical test is taken on a bike of over 120cc but not more than 125cc and capable of at least 100km per hour.

After passing the standard motorcycle practical test you will be restricted for 2 years to riding a bike of up to 25kW and a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg. After this you may ride any size of bike.

Direct & Accelerated Access

However, riders age 21 or over, or those who reach 21 before their 2-year restriction ends, have other options.

Direct Access

After taking CBT and the Theory Test the practical test may be taken on a motorcycle with a power output of at least 35kW. A pass allows you to ride any size of bike.

All or part of the CBT course may be taken on either a learner bike or a large bike. You may practise for the practical test on bikes larger than the learner bike specification provided:

you are accompanied at all times by an approved instructor on another bike and in radio contact

you wear fluorescent or reflective clothing and follow all other provisional licence restrictions.

Accelerated Access

Riders who reach the age of 21, while still within the 2-year period where they are restricted to maximum 25kW machines, but who wish to ride larger bikes need to pass a further test on a motorcycle of at least 35kW.

They may practise on bikes over 25kW under the same practice conditions for Direct Access riders. You will revert to learner status while practising (on a motorcycle greater than 25kW) although test failure will not affect your existing licence.

Sidecars

Learners who wish to ride with a sidecar can practise on a combination with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg.

On obtaining a standard licence, you will be restricted to a combination with the same power/weight ratio for 2 years.

At age 21 learners may, only within Direct or Accelerated Access, practise on a larger combination. But the test must be taken on a solo bike (although physically disabled riders can use a combination).

Examples

1kg = 2.2 lbs; 100kmh = 62 mph (approx); 1bhp = 0.75kW
    14.6bhp = 11kW; 33bhp = 25kW; 46.6bhp = 35kW; bhp = brake horse power

Mopeds and Motorcycles

A moped is a motorcycle that has the following features:
    Maximum Design speed not exceeding 50kmh (approx. 31mph).

An engine capacity no greater than 50cc.

Can be moved by pedals, if the moped was first used before 1 August 1977.

A learner motorcycle has the following features:

Engine up to 125cc.

Power output not exceeding 11kW.

Licences

Full Car Licence: If you have a full car licence, you are automatically entitled to ride a moped without L-Plates although if the licence relates to a car test passed on or after 1 February 2001 you must first complete a CBT course and obtain a DL196 Certificate to validate your entitlement.

Your full car licence also gives you provisional motorcycle entitlement for learner machines (up to 125cc) i.e. you may ride a motorcycle as a learner with L-Plates and NO pillion passengers or motorway use after completing CBT.

Provisional moped

You can only hold this if you are at least 16 years old. It entitles you to ride a moped on the road as a learner with L-Plates and NO pillion passengers or motorway use.

Your provisional licence is only valid when you have the DL 196 Certificate issued on completion of CBT by an ATB. A CBT certificate obtained on a moped is also valid for motorcycles once the rider has reached the age of 17 years and has the necessary licence.

Full moped licence

A full moped licence automatically gives you provisional motorcycle entitlement. However, you must be at least 17 years old to take up the provisional entitlement.

Provisional motorcycle licence

You can only hold this licence if you are at least 17 years old. It entitles you to ride a moped or a learner motorcycle (up to 125cc) as a learner with L-Plates. You MUST NOT carry pillion passengers or use motorways.

The motorcycle entitlement on provisional motorcycle licences issued before 1 February 2001 expires after 2 years.

The law has now changed and holders of these licences can apply to have the licence replaced with one that will include provisional motorcycle entitlement valid to age 70.

Replacement licences should be applied for from DVLA using the normal application forms (available from Post Offices).

Further Information

If you have any queries or require details of your local approved training bodies, please contact the Driving Standards Agency on 0115 901 2595.

Thanks to tiggerbiker

Zoots (5th September 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: your route to riding a bike

also, when meeting your instructor - ask to see his/her warrent card. (the instructor will also think you are a plant from the DSA and you will be treated like a VIP)

if its yellow and the serial number is just numbers - they are just downtrained, they are a trainee instructor.

if its yellow and the serial number ends with a letter "c" (usually hand written under the plastic of the card) they are known as a CBT1 instructor (fully trained for CBT and assessed by the DSA at cardington.

If the card is blue and the serial number starts with a "d" and ends with a "c", they are DSA cardington assessed for CBT and DSA approved for direct access.

the maximum ratio of students to instructor is 4:1 on the off road elements of CBT and 2:1 on all on-road elements (although in theory 1 instructor could take more if doing restricted courses as the students would be qualified without the instructor but the DSA frown on it and i personally think its a pisstake to do it)

Thanks to tiggerbiker

Thanks
    Karma Level

New driving licence rules for mopeds, motorcycles and tricycles

New driving licence rules for motorcyclists and moped riders come into force on 19 January 2013. The new rules will affect you if you pass your test after this date, or you apply to renew or replace your driving licence. Find out how these changes could affect you.

Existing driving licence holders with moped entitlement

Existing entitlements

Driving entitlements gained before 19 January 2013 won't be affected

If you already have the entitlement to ride a moped - you won't lose it. Currently your entitlement is shown on your driving licence as category P and covers you to ride mopeds with:

• an engine size up to 50 cylinder capacity (cc)
    • a maximum speed up to 50 kilometres per hour (km/h)

From 19 January 2013, new European rules will apply. You won't lose your entitlement but it will show differently on any driving licences issued to you from that date.
    Your entitlement will show as:

• category AM (the European category) - lets you ride mopeds with a maximum design speed over 25 km/h but not more than 45 km/h, small three wheelers (up to 50 cc and below 4 Kilowatt (kW)), and light quadricycles (unladen mass less than 350 kilograms (kg) and up to 45 km/h)
    • category P - extending the above to include two or three wheeled mopeds with a higher maximum speed of up to 50 km/h (to retain your existing entitlement)
    • category Q - extending the above to include two or three wheeled mopeds with a maximum speed up to 25 km/h (to retain your existing entitlement)

You won't need to do anything – your existing entitlement is still valid.

Existing motorcycle or tricycle riders

If you already have motorcycle entitlement, it won't change under the new rules. However, if you want to ride bigger bikes, you'll need to follow the rules for new riders below.
    Your entitlement to ride tricycles is currently shown on your licence as category B1 (trikes and quads) or B (cars). When you replace or renew your licence after 19 January 2013, it will be shown as B1 and A (limited to tricycles).

New riders from 19 January 2013

From 19 January 2013, the following new rules will apply.

Passing your driving test for a moped after 19 January 2013
    The minimum age to ride these vehicles will still be 16 years, and you’ll still need to pass your:

• compulsory basic training (CBT)
    • theory test
    • practical test

Once you've passed your tests, your entitlement will be shown on your driving licence as:

• category AM (the European category)
    • category Q

If you pass your car test first, you'll receive the entitlement to drive mopeds as well. However, you will need to pass your CBT to ride them on the road (as now). Your moped entitlement will be shown as above (categories AM and Q).

Category A1 (small motorcycles up to 11kW - 125 cc)

Category A1 covers small bikes with:

• a cylinder capacity not more than 125 cc
    • power output not more than 11 kW and a power to weight ratio not more than 0.1 kW per kg
    • motor tricycles with a power output not more than 15 kW

The minimum age limit for category A1 will still be 17 years.
    You'll have to pass theory and practical driving tests to get this entitlement.

Category A2 (medium motorcycles up to 35 kW)

Category A2 covers medium sized bikes, with or without a sidecar, which have:

• an engine power output not more than 35 kW
    • a power to weight ratio not more than 0.2 kW per kg - the bike must also not be derived from a vehicle of more than double its power

The minimum age for category A2 is 19 years.
    There are two ways to get this entitlement.
    Direct access

If you you're aged 19 or over, you can take a theory and a practical test.
    Staged access

If you're aged 19 or over and you have two years' experience on an A1 motorcycle, you only need to take a further practical test.

Category A

Category A covers machines unlimited in size and power, with or without a sidecar, and motor tricycles with a power output of more than 15 kW. There are two ways to get this entitlement.
    Direct access

If you don't have two years' experience, you'll have to be aged 24 years or over. You'll also need to pass the theory and practical tests.
    Staged access

You can get this category from age 21 if you have two years' experience on an A2 motorcycle and you take a further practical test.

Tricycles

You'll need to follow the same rules if you want to ride a tricycle that falls within these categories.
    Please note that tests for mopeds with three or four wheels, A1 tricycles and A tricycles will only be offered to the physically disabled.

2 Thanks given to tiggerbiker

BigBird (8th August 2012),  Zoots (5th September 2014)  

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm glad I took my test when I did only another year left until I get my fully unrestricted licence. They are just making it harder and harder for young people to get into motorcycling.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerbiker View Post
    If you already have the entitlement to ride a moped - you won't lose it. Currently your entitlement is shown on your driving licence as category P and covers you to ride mopeds with:

• an engine size up to 50 cylinder capacity (cc)
    • a maximum speed up to 50 kilometres per hour (km/h)

Thank you. Very informative and you obviously know your stuff but have to point out that although it is a measurement of the cylinder capacity the cc actually stands for the unit of measurement which is cubic centimeters. I'm sorry to be picking on such a small error...but i just cant help myself (">

Thanks
    Karma Level

Helpful factual guide you've written here...my son wants to do his test so he can use my Fazer6 and has shit himself at the reality of how much its gonna cost him....sometimes being an old dude has its advantages since my test cost under 20 quid when i sat it...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im glad I never had to do any of that, CBT and DA werent around then, growing up as a racer I bet I had some right bad habits from the track. I still own a road bike and still insure it but theres too many pricks on the road nowadays to make me want to go out every weekend with teh lads

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Tigger - can you help please?

I passed my car test in 1990.
    I think I'm entitled to ride a scooter up to 50cc with no L plates and no CBT.
    However, I'm after this 125cc, and this means I'll need to complete a CBT course and then I can ride with L plates.
    Is that all correct ?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes m8, spot on (although a moped can be any bike not exceeding 50cc - not just a scooter, can be a 50cc geared bike)

if you've not ridden a bike on the road before, a CBT would be advisable even if you were only looking to get on a moped

Quote Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
    Tigger - can you help please?

I passed my car test in 1990.
    I think I'm entitled to ride a scooter up to 50cc with no L plates and no CBT.
    However, I'm after this 125cc, and this means I'll need to complete a CBT course and then I can ride with L plates.
    Is that all correct ?

Thanks.

Thanks to tiggerbiker

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Does the cbt not expire after two years Tigger ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

yes and no m8,

a full car license holder that gained the car license after feb 1 2001 has to do a CBT to ride even a moped, the completion of the CBT validates the moped category for life - providing you keep the certificate and are able to produce it when requested.
    if said rider is riding anything bigger than 50cc, the certificate will expire after 2 years.

if the rider has only a provisional license, the CBT certificate will expire after two years in all cases

Quote Originally Posted by Mobileman View Post
    Does the cbt not expire after two years Tigger ?

Thanks to tiggerbiker

Mobileman (5th September 2014)  

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks mate. As I thought then. Brushing up won't do any harm. I did have a number of peds in my youth, but that is a dark and distant past..
    Thanks again. Thought it best to ask the expert.