Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default big man's Progress Journal

Start date: 08/07/2008

Start weight: 20st 5lb

Start pics: maybe later if i'm feeling brave

History: Topped out over 22st. Over the last 8 months i've increased my daily exercise (walking to and from the station each day has been a big change) and cut down on my food intake. Still eating too much and too much junk, but a big improvement on before

Was getting to the gym 2/3 times a week until about 6 weeks ago when i buggered my knee up. Started swimming this morning, so thought i'd take it as a fresh start
    I am a loud man with a very large hat. This means I am in charge

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: big man's Progress Journal

Quote Originally Posted by big man View Post
    Start date: 08/07/2008

Start weight: 20st 5lb

Start pics: maybe later if i'm feeling brave

History: Topped out over 22st. Over the last 8 months i've increased my daily exercise (walking to and from the station each day has been a big change) and cut down on my food intake. Still eating too much and too much junk, but a big improvement on before

Was getting to the gym 2/3 times a week until about 6 weeks ago when i buggered my knee up. Started swimming this morning, so thought i'd take it as a fresh start
    good luck with it mate. Dont post any pics if you dont want to but take some so you can see how much better you look in a few weeks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good luck pal. Try and exercise first thing if you can, that will get the endorphins active and help throughout the day.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well done mate. The biggest hurdle can sometimes be the need to know you have to change your lifestyle and actually make that effort.
    "An evil exists that threatens every man, woman, and child of this great nation. We must take steps to ensure our domestic security and protect our homeland." - Adolf Hitler, 1933

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah you don't have to post up m8!

Good luck

Thanks
    Karma Level

You post up now, don't look at them for 6 weeks, think of how good you will feel when it all goes good, how motivated it wil keep you.

But, all that aside, best of luck mate.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

good luck m8 hope all goes well
    www.facebook.com/bigbadleo
     Big-Bad-Leo 

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers for all the support guys. I'm just going to use the next couple of weeks to get my routine sorted (getting up early is seriously hard work) and get my lungs working again before i start pushing it. I know from experience if i go in all guns blazing at the start i end up putting myself off it really fast

My diet is going to need improving as well, so any pointers would help (i'm not looking for a body builders diet - i've been looking at what Roach get's through each day - just something that's easy to maintain and healthy)

At the moment i have a bowl of porridge in the morning (after my swim) about 9am, lunch is about 12/1 depending on meetings and workload. I'm trying to take in sandwiches (ham and salad), and i'll take a couple of tracker bars to nibble on throughout the day.

Dinner needs more work. I try and eat home cooked food, rather than packaged, and i try and eat fruit later on if i'm still hungry. I basically need more ideas of healthy food to cook as i love my food, and it has to be tasty. Currently, almost everything i make is chicken based though.

As i said, there's still too much junk in my diet, but it's slowly reducing

I also need to drink more water, and i'm still drinking too much caffeine (coffee freak), but i rarely have any after about 4pm now, so at least i'm sleeping better

Been too busy to take pics, but decided i'm going to bite the bullet and put some up - hopefully that'll give me another incentive

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Start buying in some fish (frozen is more versatile) and turkey too, as chicken will get boring. Tinned fish is great.

Cut back on ham and other reformed meats as they tend to be high in salt content. This isn't just about weight loss it's about a healthier lifestyle too.

Water flushes the fat cells so drink more and try cutting out 1 cup of coffee a day and increasing it until you stop all together. Try swapping it for green or white tea (not regular black tea like Typhoo or PG Tips). Green and white tea still contain caffeine but are very high in anti-oxidants. Drink them without milk or sugar. You may find them a bit different at first but after 4 or 5 times of trying it there will be no turning back.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you work at a desk or as a driver, get a big bag of unsalted nuts to nibble on throughout the day.

Thanks
    Karma Level

decided i'm going to bite the bullet and put some up
    Ok, took some pics, and seeing them gave me all the incentive i need! Going back on what i said, and not putting them up - too embarassed

I'll weight myself tomorrow (one week), but not expecting any improvement yet

Thanks
    Karma Level

big man,

really really do not feel embarassed to post those pics we are all here for the same things and to encourage each other in acheiving any goals we have.

you will get nothing but respect from me and others im sure

keep at it

curt

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Your journal is lacking in updates mate?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Forgot to update this last week

Weighted myself last tuesday and still 20st 5lb as predicted

Weighed myself this morning and 20st 2lb, so 3lb down so far in the last 2 weeks. Not an amazing start, but a start none the less.

I'm not going to be updating this daily like some of you guys as this is more about healthy eating, exercise and encouragement for me, than the stricter routines and diets you seem to be on. I'll update once a week with my weight, and also when i change my routine or diet

My current routine (weekdays only) is this:
    Up about 6.15
    Get to work and in the pool for about 7.50
    30 lengths (about 20 mins in the pool) at the moment
    8.30 / 9.00 bowl of porridge and a coffee

12.00 (ish) lunch 2 wraps. Ham and salad at the moment (using up the last of the packet meat) with a little jalapeno relish. Will be looking at chicken next week, and i'm going to try my hand at boiling a ham, so i've got some decent sandwich meat as well

I also have a couple of tracker bars to nibble on through the day, and there's normally a couple more cups of coffee thrown in during the day. Starting to replace them with drinking more water.

Dinner is usually homecooked (chicken and rice, pasta - things like that) Low fat yoghurt and fruit for afters
    The big thing about dinner is not so much what i eat, but the quantities that i eat. They're slowly decreasing as well though

I'm only managing the swimming a couple of times a week at the moment, mainly due to the early mornings and not getting to work in time! I have problems sleeping (always have done) and so the early mornings often follow nights of little or no sleep, which are horrible. I've got a new bed being delivered tomorrow, so hopefully that'll improve as well from now on

At the weekends, there's no workout (no access to the gym or pool at work). The eating tends to be more carefree, but i'm more conscious of what i'm eating now, so that's impoving as well

Targets: As i've said, this is really about a lifestyle change for me. Healthy eating and exercise are the aims here. I'm not looking to bulk up or tone (yet).

At the moment, the first target is simply to get under 20st. This will be a big achievement, and the lightest i'll have been in about 10 years.

Next is 19st. When i get here i've given myself the incentive of a new wardrobe as by that point, all my clothes will be for a 'fat' man

If i could get down to 18st i would be really happy / pleased / impressed and it should be a realistic, attainable target.

Ideal target weight would be 17st - if i can achieve this, i'll have lost a whopping 5st plus and i would be an extremely happy, and healthy bloke

p.s. If anyone thinks these targets are still a little on the hefty side, i'm 6' 7", so i'm never going to be light !

LilacHarryQuinn

Everyone sets their own goals bigman and everyone's goals are different.

Great to see you trying to eat healthier and you WILL feel better for it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

All good mate, all good. Try perhaps cutting out bread during the day where you can, opting for potato, rice or salad instead. Also in the evening replace potatoes, rice, pasta and any pastry with just loads of veg (bags of frozen mixed are much more convenient and economical too).

You've made a great start. Rome wasn't built in a day and as you say this is lifestyle change not a crash diet.

Keep up the good work pal.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post
    Try perhaps cutting out bread during the day where you can, opting for potato, rice or salad instead. Also in the evening replace potatoes, rice, pasta and any pastry with just loads of veg
    i'm assuming this is a carbs thing. So you're saying that potatoes or rice provide 'better' carbs than bread, and that you should eat these during the day, not in the evening? ( i was under the impression that all carbs were evil if you were on a diet or a strict exercise plan)

I don't eat a great deal of potatoes or pastry any more, and have changed to eating wholewheat pasta. Still use white rice as the brown stuff takes ages to cook. I'll try swapping it out for veggies a couple of times a week.

I'm also a big fan of salads so they'll feature more prominently now that the weathers changing as well

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i'm assuming this is a carbs thing. So you're saying that potatoes or rice provide 'better' carbs than bread, and that you should eat these during the day, not in the evening? ( i was under the impression that all carbs were evil if you were on a diet or a strict exercise plan)

I don't eat a great deal of potatoes or pastry any more, and have changed to eating wholewheat pasta. Still use white rice as the brown stuff takes ages to cook. I'll try swapping it out for veggies a couple of times a week.

I'm also a big fan of salads so they'll feature more prominently now that the weathers changing as well
    You need some carbs for energy. The "man made" carbs such as bread, cereals and pasta are much more bloating than rice and potatoes. Either way the point of cutting carbs after 6pm is that your body has a chance to burn them off before you go to bed.

For rice try the Uncle Bens microwave range as they are very convenient or boil up a large amount at the start of the week, to see you through 3 or 4 days (to be eaten cold though as re-heating rice too many times can be dangerous).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Roach-Rampino View Post
    For rice try the Uncle Bens microwave range as they are very convenient or boil up a large amount at the start of the week
    I aint touched the Uncles Ben rice since i started ..going to consider that now..the pre cooked vegtable rice + Salmon = heaven

Thanks
    Karma Level

Gotta say i much prefer home cooked to packet. Just cook up a big batch and then you can reheat it as you need it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast