Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Stuff to buy from Hong Kong?

My sis is off to HK next week, just wondering if anyone had any experience with HK, and buying electronics/PC stuff? She knows someone out there who apparently can take her to places to get decent deals.

I was thinking I would like an ultra-portable laptop, so perhaps worth giving her a couple hundred for it?

Wondering also if components would be cheaper out there?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Stuff to buy from Hong Kong?

Goto www.alibaba.com and search for whatever you want and set the country to Hong Kong. That will give you an idea of what products are hot over there at the moment. You will find that several different companies sell identical products generally under different names, this is because they buy from the same factory in thousands then sell on in hundreds.

If you contact a supplier who has something you like the look of and enquire about a sample item and say that you would like to allow your assistant to collect it on your behalf as she is over there researching new products for your company. That will be like gold dust, the way business operates over there is on long term business relationships, if you actually meet a company then it is seen as a massive respect and they will treat you well.

Not to mention you will get it for substantially below the retail price and have a supplier if you want wholesale to sell on at any time

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers for that!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeah, our friend lives in HK and speaks cantonese. Am aware of the customs issue, would tell her that anything she gets to ditch the box, etc.

I may limit it to smaller items, as she wouldn't know what to look for in a laptop, and although I could give her model numbers, it would tricky. Last time a mate of mine went out there, she came back with some v cheap 2.5" ext hdd and pen drives for me, so I may stick to stuff like that to be safe. Would love to go myself to see what its like!

cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by yazooo View Post
    My sis is off to HK next week, just wondering if anyone had any experience with HK, and buying electronics/PC stuff? She knows someone out there who apparently can take her to places to get decent deals.

I was thinking I would like an ultra-portable laptop, so perhaps worth giving her a couple hundred for it?

Wondering also if components would be cheaper out there?
    I honestly wouldn't bother mate, the savings are minimal especially with the £ being so weak at the moment. I went last year and the only winner was my missus with her massive haul of replica handbags.

The USA is far better and far cheaper. Because its such an important market a lot of Far Eastern and Western manufacturers will sell at a virtual loss just to maintain market share.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just a side note, yes Alibaba has a lot of scammers but through being careful to only use TradeKey members or Gold Suppliers I have never been scammed. And if your sister was to collect then that's not a problem anyway.

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers guys. was in america last year and the prices were good, am going back towards the end of year and will definitely be doing more shopping.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Adidas bags and trainers

panasonic batteries and speakers

converse trainers

sony headphones

Fila Cap

head and shoulders

nike t-shirts

some puma goods

YouTube - POPstation review (PSP Rip off)

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have one of those pop station things! *haha* Bought it from ebay for 99p (99p too much!)

My sister used to live in Hong Kong and have to agree the prices were not that brilliant for electronics. As highlighted by PSX, most of the laptops have a US keyboard layout which is slightly different to the UK layout.

Gotta agree that America (especially given the $) is the best place for electrical goods. Picked up my PS3 from there in May for just over £200.