Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default More illegal downloading news

6 isp's are going to be sending out warning letters....

the 6 suppliers will be named today..

Full article further down thread.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7522334.stm
    Last edited by BertRoot; 24th July 2008 at 11:04 AM.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: more illegal downloading news

they dont even mention which ISP's??

what a load of wank.. my money is on

bt
    virgin
    sky
    talk talk
    tiscali
    orange

these fucks are gonna have this blow up in their face.

DF General DogsBody
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: More illegal downloading news

Already had a letter from NTYELL telling me that someone from my addy was downloading "sugar babes" music on the DC filesharing program. I guess sum cnut on there grassed me up

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Bunch of cnuts. You'll just get people changing ISP's to someone who doesn't send letters out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i dont think changing ISP will help cos eventually they will all be forced into this via legislation or otherwise.

what you WILL find is people and applications increasingly resorting to encrypting everything. if not to continue file sharing, then to insure the privacy of information sent over now monitored connections.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode View Post

these fcuks are gonna have this blow up in their face.

im with you 100%

J-Tag 360 RGH 360, PS3 Super Slim, Xbox 360 Slim, WDTV Live with CFW, Vu+ Solo 2, Dreambox 500HD Connected to 1M Motorised Dish.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode View Post

what a load of wank.. my money is on

bt
    virgin
    sky
    talk talk
    tiscali
    orange

these fcuks are gonna have this blow up in their face.
    You going blind in your old age Code???

"BT, Virgin, Orange, Tiscali, BSkyB and Carphone Warehouse have all signed up."
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Net firms in music pirates deal

Customers who illegally share music will get warning letters

Six of the UK's biggest net providers have agreed a plan with the music industry to tackle piracy online.
    The deal, negotiated by the government, will see hundreds of thousands of letters sent to net users suspected of illegally sharing music.
    Hard core file-sharers could see their broadband connections slowed, under measures proposed by the UK government.
    BT, Virgin, Orange, Tiscali, BSkyB and Carphone Warehouse have all signed up.
    Geoff Taylor, chief executive of the BPI, which represents the music industry, said: "All of the major ISPs in the UK now recognise they have a responsibility to deal with illegal file-sharers on their networks."
    Mr Taylor said it had taken years to persuade ISPs to adopt this view.

So far, the ISPs seem to be grabbing the carrot - while avoiding the stick

BBC Technology Correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones

Read more on Dot.Life

The plan commits the firms to working towards a "significant reduction" in the illegal sharing of music.
    It also commits the net firms to develop legal music services. "Conversations are ongoing between record labels and ISPs," said Mr Taylor.
    Letters to pirates
    The BPI has focused on educational efforts and limited legal action in recent years, in contrast to the US, which has embarked on tens of thousands of lawsuits against alleged file sharers.
    The six internet service providers have signed a Memorandum of Understanding drawn up by the Department for Business, Enterprise & Regulatory Reform (BERR).

HAVE YOUR SAY
    Why should I yet again pay for, say, the Beatles' White Album at full whack? I already bought it on LP, eight-track, cassette, and CD! This is those customers getting their own back
    Mark, Hampshire
    Send us your comments

The Motion Picture Association of America has also signed up.
    The BPI said the memoranum covered consumers who were both uploading and downloading music.
    Mr Taylor said: "The focus is on people sharing files illegally; there is not an acceptable level of file-sharing. Musicians need to be paid like everyone else."
    He added: "File-sharing is not anonymous, it is not secret, it is against the law."
    At the same time the government has started a consultation exercise that could result in laws that force net firms to tackle music piracy. A working group will be set up under the auspices of regulator Ofcom to look at effective measures to tackle persistant file-sharers.
    Mr Taylor said newspaper reports stating that online users could be subject to an annual levy to cover losses from file-sharing were incorrect.
    "A levy is not an issue under discussion. It has not been discussed between us and government and as far as we are aware it is not on the table."
    He said: "There should be effective mechanisms in place (to deter file-sharing) and as long as they are effective, we don't mind what they are."
    The consultation document proposed that hard core file-sharers could have technical measures imposed, such as "traffic management or filtering and marking of legitimate content to facilitate identification".
    In the past few weeks net firms Virgin and BT have sent letters to some customers identified by the BPI, which represents the UK record industry, as persistent music pirates.
    'Long process'
    Before now the BPI has called for a "three-strikes" system which would see net connections of persistent pirates terminated if three warnings went ignored.
    Many net firms have resisted the call from the BPI and have said it is not their job to act as policemen.

FROM THE TODAY PROGRAMME

More from Today programme

Feargal Sharkey, chief executive of British Music Rights, said the plan was "a first step, and a very big step, in what we all acknowledge is going to be quite a long process".
    Mr Sharkey, formerly lead singer with The Undertones added: "Government, particularly in the UK, has now realised there is an issue, there is a problem there."
    One BBC News website user Mark, from Hampshire, said he downloaded and shared files illegally and argued customers were "getting their own back".
    In an e-mail, he said: "I used to run half a dozen record shops in the 80s and saw how far the fat cats of the record industry would go, in milking customers and retailers dry with more hyped rubbish."
    "Why should I yet again pay for, say, the Beatles' White Album at full whack? I already bought it on LP, eight-track, cassette, and CD! This is those customers getting their own back."
    "So will this make me sharing a CD with my next-door neighbour over the fence illegal?" he added.

Full article. Lazy posting wakadoo.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It's a good job I only do movies & games via Newsgroups then lmfao

Of course I do own the originals.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by neo2810 View Post
    You going blind in your old age Code???

"BT, Virgin, Orange, Tiscali, BSkyB and Carphone Warehouse have all signed up."
    wasnt up when i posted. the page has been updated.
    Page last updated at 09:37 GMT, Thursday, 24 July 2008 10:37 UK
    i was right about all of them might i add.. talk talk=cpw

so sook mah bollox.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Best stick to encripted torrents & SSL newsgroups then...
    ================
    Newbie all over again
    ================

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

So can normal NG downloads be monitored? Might have to cough up for SSL again.

Download very little from P2P and Torrents.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Q&A: Music and file-sharing

Hundreds of thousands of UK net users could soon find a letter on their mat from their net supplier saying their account is being used to illegally share files. The letters are one of the most tangible elements of an anti-piracy plan brokered by the government. Here we explain some of the background to the agreement.
    What is file-sharing?
    As its name implies it involves using the net to distribute or get hold of data files.
    The most popular files being shared online are MP3 music tracks because their small size means they can be uploaded and downloaded quickly.
    As broadband speeds have increased the size of files available on file-sharing networks has grown. TV shows and movies are becoming increasingly popular.
    Most file-sharing networks are organised on a peer-to-peer basis. This means that they do not have a central store of files. Instead, the files remain on the computers of a network's members.
    Anyone downloading a particular file gets it in chunks from all the machines on the network possessing a copy of that music track, video, game or TV show.
    Once a person has a copy of a file it usually remains available for others in the network. The more people with a copy of a file the faster it can be spread to others.
    There are many file-sharing networks and users typically get hold of a client, which acts like a web browser, that lets them use that network.
    Who is file-sharing?
    Lots of people. And many are file-sharing perfectly legally.
    Many broadcasters and content firms are using file-sharing networks to overcome the inherent problems of using the net to distribute large files such as TV shows and films. Many online game firms use file-sharing systems to distribute updates to players.
    However, many people have turned to file-sharing networks to get hold of pirated content - be it music tracks, videos or games. Typically teenagers are the biggest users of file-sharing networks that hold lots of pirated pop music.
    Why does the music industry want to stop it?
    Because they believe that the growth of file-sharing has cut their profits and is ruining their industry. The music industry, as well as other content makers, argue that anyone who gets hold of a pirated copy of music track, video or game is unlikely to go out and buy a legitimate retail copy.
    Critics say the music industry is paying the price for being late to see the impact the net would have on the buying and selling of music. Lacking legitimate places to turn to find music, online fans migrated to file-sharing networks to get hold of pirated tracks.
    What does this agreement mean for consumers?
    For hundreds of thousands of UK net users it will mean that they get a letter from their ISP telling them that their account has been identified as one used to illegally share files. At the moment that is all it will mean.
    So far no UK net firm has pledged to back the BPI's call to cut the net connections of persistent pirates.
    How is the music industry targeting file-sharers?
    The British Phonographic Industry is monitoring the most popular file-sharing tools and is looking for people who are uploading (i.e. actively sharing) music tracks.
    The IP address, or unique online identifier, of the computer that is being used to share tracks can be seen on many of these tools.
    IP addresses are distributed by your ISP and so the BPI contacts the ISP which allocated that address, who in turn matches it to the computer, and the account holder.
    Have other countries tried this?
    There have been a lot of different attempts to curb piracy.
    Currently France is on the verge of adopting a "three strikes" law that will see the net connections of persistent pirates unplugged.
    In the US the RIAA, which represents record labels, has favoured lawsuits against pirates and has taken tens of thousands of people to court seeking damages. In Germany the courts are currently debating the legality of using data culled from file-sharing networks to identify and chastise suspected pirates. Many other nations impose a levy on recordable media on which copies of copyrighted content could be stored.

Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean
    the same thing?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

So how do you use encrypted torrents then? Is it enough that the files are zipped up and given a simple name such as SB2008 for the Sugar Babes new album?

I used that as an example by the way and no way would i ever download that shite!

Just spotted this on another forum which made me chuckle.

Last edited by liveseytowers; 24th July 2008 at 02:00 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

encrypted torrents are bullshit. Any client sharing a torrent knows all the ip's its sharing with. It knows what file is being shared. Encryption aint gonna help you there. The recording industry/isp's etc just have teams that join all the big sites and let people dig them selves into a grave. p2p for this reason is pretty much dead.

secure transfer from ftp or newsgroup via https is ok as long as you trust your source, but I can see legislation against the big ng providers to give out download/ip stats. It's only a matter of time and we should just count ourselves lucky that it's been so open for so long.

The scene ?? that will go back where it was best. Underground

Thanks
    Karma Level

Underground yes baby!

Thanks
    Karma Level

fuk em sideways--send me a letter and i will just add to my more bog paper box

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Already had a letter from NTYELL telling me that someone from my addy was downloading "sugar babes" music on the DC filesharing program. I guess sum cnut on there grassed me up
    if you like listening to the sugarbabes you deserve to be punished.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    So can normal NG downloads be monitored? Might have to cough up for SSL again.

Download very little from P2P and Torrents.
    you can download all the torrents and shit off NG's you like... newsgroups are not file sharing, just pure piracy (allegedly). theres a distinct difference in the eyes of the BPI, but thats cos they are fcuking idiots and dont see that the latter is actually worse than the former... they'll get to it tho.

simple solution is to leech, not share.

eg, dont share torrents to above a ratio of 1, dont use direct p2p like limeshite. anything p2p where you send an entire file (even in tiny peices like bt) to somone elses machine over the interwebs is dangerous. once they have recieved the entire file off you, you have file shared and are fucked.

other than that, fcuk em.

Thanks
    Karma Level

bring back private dial-ups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast