Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Virgin Media Broadband Throttling / Capping Explained

Why has Virgin Media introduced speed restrictions for some broadband users?

Here's the official reasoning behind the speed throttle:

When someone is downloading and/or uploading a particularly large amount of information over a long period of time, it can slow down the Internet speed for other users who might just be checking their email or browsing online. So to make sure our service is fair for everybody, we sometimes moderate the speeds during peak times (4pm till 9pm) for customers who are downloading and/or uploading an unusually large amount at these times.

This ensures that the service doesn't get blocked up with people using more than their fair share - which means a lot fewer traffic jams.

How many customers are being affected by the throttle?

According to Virgin Media, the top 3% of downloaders (taking stuff off the Internet) and the top 3% uploaders (putting stuff on to the Internet) are the main culprits for degraded performance during peak hours. Combined, that's around 5% of Virgin Media's broadband customers.

These are generally the people who will notice a restriction in connection speed during peak hours.

However, the speed throttle will apply to anyone who hits a particular download or upload limit during peak hours, so it could affect a lot more customers over time.

How much can be downloaded before my speed gets cut?

It depends which "size" of broadband you're on, and is only measured during peak hours (4pm - 9pm).

Users on Size M can download 300MB or upload 150MB before being restricted.

Users on Size: L can download 800MB or upload 325MB before being restricted.

When Size: L speeds are upgraded from 4Mb to 10Mb, the upload limit will be increased to 400MB, though the download limit will stay the same.

Users on Size: XL can download 3GB or upload 1.25GB before being restricted.

What will my broadband speed be throttled to, and for how long?

Users hitting the limit during peak hours will be throttled for five hours from the time their up/download limit is reached, according to which "size" of broadband they're on:

Users on Size L and Size M will have their download speed cut to 1Mb, and their upload speed cut to 128Kb.

Users on Size XL will have their download speed cut to 5Mb, and their upload speed cut to 192Kb.

So I'll be speed-throttled for FIVE HOURS?

Here's the official line:

Any users hitting this amount during peak times (4pm till 9pm) will have their broadband speed temporarily traffic managed. This will last for 5 hours from when the traffic management policy is applied.
    This seems to suggest that, if you hit your limit at 8.59pm, your broadband speed will be cut until 1.59am the following day. Seems a bit unfair? Hey, don't shoot the messenger.

How can I find out when my speed cap / throttle will end?

Each day, you could be throttled for five hours at any time between 4pm on one day and 2am on the following day, but only if you hit your download or upload limit between 4pm and 9pm.

It operates on a daily basis, so you won't be capped / throttled the following day unless you hit your limits again during peak hours that day.

How can I stop Virgin Media speed capping?

1. Take over the position of CEO, and change the rules.

2. Leave Virgin Media.

3. Don't download / upload so much between 4pm and 9pm.

There's really not much else option. Good luck with 1.

I'm not a downloader but get traffic managed by Virgin Media

Possibly, you're uploading a lot of stuff (like putting videos on YouTube, for example)?

If not, then it could be that you're just suffering from poor broadband speeds. See "My broadband speed is slower than it should be all the time" below.

What tests have Virgin Media done to prove all this?

Virgin Media claims to have carried out trials, looking closely at when the heaviest broadband users were affecting general users.

They also concluded that, after introducing the speed throttles, everyone's average speed increased, and there were less calls to technical support regarding broadband performance problems [except, perhaps, from those having their speeds throttled?]

Will Virgin Media's throttling thresholds change?

The company says that they'll continue to monitor the way that their customers use the broadband service, and may increase or decrease the limits in future.

How do I know if my broadband speed is throttled?

Virgin Media recommend a tool called DU Meter, though that's a Windows-only piece of software and it looks as if you have to pay for it after a while.

Other tools include Bandwidth Monitor for all flavours of Windows, or SurplusMeter for Mac OS X

My broadband speed is slower than it should be all the time

This could be due to all sorts of factors, rather than speed capping.

Bear in mind that Virgin Media offers an "up to" service, with speeds that can fluctuate depending on a number of factors such as how far you are away from your local telephone exchange, the quality of the phone line, and how many other people are using the Net.

If you're getting slow speeds outside peak hours, it may be worth talking to Virgin Media to see if anything can be done. Unfortunately, you may also be in an area where broadband speeds just aren't that fast.

How can Virgin Media say that their broadband service is "unlimited"?

It depends how you look at their broadband offering.

Introducing speed throttling limits a part of the service for some users. However, the "unlimited' claim relates to how much data can be uploaded or downloaded, rather than how quickly.

Imagine if you were still on a dial-up connection, but on a flat rate and with no download limits. Access would be hellishly slow, but it would still be "unlimited".

If you're feeling really pedantic you could argue that, over the course of a month, if your download speed is throttled, then you won't be able to download as much. True, but the Internet rarely runs at "top speed" anyway, and if you're spending that much time online, you really do need to get out more.

Are Virgin Media telling lies about their download speeds?

I need to be very careful here. A lot of broadband suppliers have been criticised for claiming top speeds for broadband access, without making it clearer that very few customers will ever achieve those speeds.

Virgin Media haven't lied, in as much as they are offering broadband packages with speeds "up to" 2Mb, 4Mb, 10Mb, or 20Mb. Just don't be surprised if you rarely if ever achieve those speeds on your line. That's not exclusive to Virgin Media, either.

What idiot called this "speed capping"?

Again, we could get pedantic. I -- perhaps erroneously -- called Virgin Media's practice "speed capping", because a cap is placed on the broadband speed.

Virgin Media seems to call it "speed moderation". Most other people call it "speed throttling" which is far more emotive.

End result's the same, though.

I think that covers most of the questions and concerns raised about Virgin Media's broadband speed throttling.

For those of you who arrived here looking for information about other types of virgin -- sorry to disappoint.

Virgin Media

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Virgin Media Broadband Throttling / Capping Explained

Thats good information, at least I know to start all my downloads after 9pm.

Its better to burn out than to fade away...............

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

i get capped after 10.30 am on xl

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm now getting capped from 10am til 10.30pm with an hour break between 3pm and 4pm. Fecking shocking!

Thanks
    Karma Level

so, not only are we getting our broadband speeds capped by VM, our browsing is getting redirected by the obtrusive phorm

Thanks
    Karma Level

Really helpfull thanks. I contacted VM about why the hell my broadband speeds kept going down but was typically fobbed off. Eventually they sent round a technician who couldn't find his own arse and as such was no help. If they had just told me this in the first place it would have saved me a small fortune in phone bills. When on newsgroups i average 2400kbs and went capped drops down to around 500kbs bastards.
    [live=Spotty69]Spotty69[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

very helpful information. i try to keep to nights downl but somehow they just cap my downl even when i not using it

give up talking to them

Thanks
    Karma Level

I am really cheesed off with this, and just to follow up on this they say between 9:30 to 3:00pm and then 4:00pm to 9:30pm.

I used to get the full 20mb up until about 18 months ago, now I never get it or anywhere near it, VM have really slowed down their services for all, there packages are not all what they seem.

I have been with them now for 15 years, and I have slowly watched the service get worse with every title they have had. Worst of all was the Telewest - NTL merger, not good for the customer at all.

When there is a good alternative ----- whoooosh im gone.

Thanks
    Karma Level

70plus gd a month i download and heard nothing from them ive had my speed put up lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

do you still get capped if you use astraweb or such like, i didnt think it would show if you didnt use vm servers, i am prob wrong tho lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

You get capped regardless of where you d/l from.

Thanks
    Karma Level

dam.....lmao

Thanks
    Karma Level

Funny that is i spoke to a customer adviser about BB being capped at peak times and they refuse to acknowledge the situation / or they don't know anything
    about virgins broadband speed being capped at peak hours im going to check the T, & C,s to see if its mentioned.

Thanks
    Karma Level

im on 50mb...im capped between 4pm & midnight.but still im ok with it. i get 25mg at that time, i do download alot of stuff.i do at least 100gb over a weakend + more through the week inc online play.

Sent By Brick Wrapped In Paper Thrown Through The Window..........

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by psyoper View Post
    Funny that is i spoke to a customer adviser about BB being capped at peak times and they refuse to acknowledge the situation / or they don't know anything
    about virgins broadband speed being capped at peak hours im going to check the T, & C,s to see if its mentioned.
    Its on their own bleeding website!

http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/tra...nt-policy.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have 100 meg and i do not get capped any time i use tpc port 23 on newsbin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

This was just one of many posts made by psyoper in a attempt to raise his post count, and old thread long since past meaning anything. . . . .
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Lol.... I didnt notice it was dragged up until u said... :-/

Virgin used to get hacked to shit..

Now genuine people pay, and still get punished lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im on 50meg, not been capped yet, im in same area as wrath of bad so i dont know why he is being capped?

DF Super Moderator Rick Sanchez's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

On 50 and get no where near 50...

Domain Registration, SSL Certificates and Web Hosting - Fusionhost- 25% Discount Available On All Web Hosting Plans For DF Members - Code: DF2022

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast