Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Triumph TR 7 Engine change

I have just bought a TR7 convertible which I plan to spend a year or so rebuilding. Now the easy conversion is fitting the Rover V8. I have had 3 SD1s over the years including a vittesse It’s a great engine but I do not want to go down that route What I want to do is fit a rover 2.0 turbo engine from a 620 which have a power output of about 200 bhp I know the rover 2.0 16 valve engine has been matted to the 5 speed box in a TR 7 using a Sherpa bell housing Has anyone go any experience with this engine and box. This box was used on the rover v8 and many others

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Triumph TR 7 Engine change

Sorry but I think the TR7 is a disgrace to the name Triumph, give it a decent burial an move on!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

Thanks
    Karma Level

wow why bother ? the tr7 has to be one of the most crap cars ever! with any engine. i re-built a dolomite sprint from ground up good few years ago i loved it but could i fook get half of what was spent on it back, wen gettin rid (completly original restore ) no extras. the best one of that range i ever saw was a blue dolly sprint in custom car mag that was built for 1/4 mile runs it was lush d-chromed shaved handles beefed up engine lowered and fast as fuck. i take it you must feel abut the tr7 the way i felt about dollys?

no help i know sorry if you wanna spend lots of time on a leyland car try gettin a tr6 or stag.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

lol, snap Wiz!

Thanks
    Karma Level

The hard top is ugly but if really look closely the soft top has got real potential if you go for modern running gear, a few tweaks to the bodywork and decent set of wheels. You will have a real individual fun car that will blow away a lot so called sports cars at a very low cost

Thanks
    Karma Level

i cant see it m8. gimme a rs2000 to rebuild anyday over that. or a dream would be to get a rs 1800tc not much chance of that like. so the only reason you wanna do this is cos its a softop? its still a dog m8 just has a nicer collar. if i was gonna do somthing like that it would be for love but also knowing i would at least get my money spent back when gettin rid.

btw "low cost"? how much do you think this project may cost? mine for the dolly ended up being ten times what i thought it would be and i had friends who restored and painted classic rolls royces at time so was helped with panel work and cheap paint jobs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

For a donor you can get a rover 600 turbo with mot for £600. welding and painting aren’t a problem, I am not looking at a restoration job it’s a rebuild my way The car was one of the last off the line and is very solid, doors need changing bonnet may be salvageable or may need replacing and an inner wing panel is needed I like the RS2000 (and the twin cam even more ) but I have always wanted a soft top

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Being ugly is the least of its problems, it was one of British Leyland's worst and they were world leaders in shite!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm wondering how old you are philich? My reason for asking is that I got my first car in 1970, you can imagine then that I had grown up admiring wonderful old marques like, Riley, Wolsely, Triumph, Jaguar, Rover....... just to have them absorbed into the spreading puddle of puke that was Leyland!
    EVERY TR up to and including the 6 had things to recommend them, the 7??? FFS!

Thanks
    Karma Level

well the best softop would be a stag or tr6 btw i think both look and sound great. dint the tr7 also have a habit of going on fire or was that ironed out of the later model? and i cant ever see any tr7 "being solid" after 10 years nevermind how ever many more yours is! have you checked the chassis out proper?

anyway if you have a few grand spare and the time and will to do it? go for it i cant help with your original question. hope you find the help but ur probly better off finding a forum dealing exclusively with that sort of stuff to get a usable reply.

good luck

do you really like its looks??

heres some piks

also some good stripped down body piks HERE this guys loved em too just look at the rust and this was a v reg!! im showing you this just because i know you want to make this car fast, so it has to be safe even in great condition it would probly need strength adding somewere.

try here for help m8... http://www.triumphtr7.com/documents/sitenav.asp
    Last edited by the_wizzard; 21st August 2008 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Check out locostbuilders.co.uk, a lot of fella's there who know the shiznit.

Also look at the LS1 engine, reckon that would be a much smarter choice than any rover lump.