Close

Thread: OF updates

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info OF updates

OLD FIRM referee Dougie McDonald last night insisted he would handle the pressure of being in charge of this season's first Glasgow derby - despite the extra focus that is sure to be on him.

The 42-year-old was yesterday named by the SFA as the man to take charge of Sunday's massive game at Celtic Park, the third time he's been given the honour. McDonald's two previous Old Firm matches passed without any controversial incidents and the ref admitted he is looking for a "hat-trick".

He knows attention will be on him more than ever after a disastrous start to the season for SPL officials. However, the whistler stressed he is able to ignore all the controversy and wants the game to be remembered for the football and not refereeing decisions.

Match officials have never been under more scrutiny following a series of high-profile controversies involving the SPL's big two.

St Mirren were left furious with ref Eddie Smith over his decision to award Celtic a penalty and send off defender Will Haining at Parkhead on the opening weekend of the season. Dundee United were denied a penalty a week later after Gary Caldwell clearly tripped Roy O'Donovan inside the box.

On Saturday, Falkirk boss John Hughes was stunned when Iain Brines missed Stephen McManus using an arm in the first goal of a 3-0 victory.

And Rangers boss Walter Smith was left raging when DaMarcus Beasley had a last-minute winner at Pittodrie wrongly disallowed for offside.

However, all of this has not put off Sunday's referee.

McDonald said: "I'm delighted to get the game. It's always an honour, never a dubious honour, to work at an Old Firm match.

"I know there will be a lot of focus on me but it's always the case that the next Old Firm game is always the biggest one. It's a massive match for the players and it is for the ref and my officials as well.

"I'm certainly not fazed by the challenge. But the Old Firm game is different. There are more cameras than at any other match and more journalists passing comment on it.

"Okay, so it's not been the start to the season we were looking for as referees. But there is no extra pressure on me because of that.

"I'll be nervous on Sunday morning. The day I don't feel the nerves is the day something is wrong. You need that, I think. But that goes once the game starts.

"I've had a couple of Old Firm games and both passed by without major incident. I'm looking for my hat-trick on Sunday. My hope is we are talking about the football after the game."

McDonald insisted both teams had to help him do his job or risk our game being seen in a bad light.

He said: "The players have their part to play. I'd like this game to be a fantastic advert for Scottish football."

McDonald agreed with Hughes there should be more face-to-face meetings between referees and managers in the future.

He said: "I think it's easier to deal and understand people if you get to know them. That's why I thought the meeting last week was a good thing.

"But I'd be happy to meet the managers more often in a social environment. That does us no harm at all."

Edu Set For Debut

WALTER SMITH has confirmed that he will include Maurice Edu in his squad for Parkhead - assuming the American star arrives in Glasgow in enough time.
    Edu was in the process of trying to secure a working visa from the UK Embassy in Toronto after the relevant paperwork on his work permit arrived from the UK.
    All things being equal, he should be at Murray Park by Wednesday or Thursday and that will give him enough time to get ready for the Celtic game.
    Smith said: "We have to wait and see if we get him over on time.
    "The good thing is that he has been playing regularly and travelling around the world regularly with the US national team.
    "When I first met him he came across as one of these boys who would not be fazed by a great deal. He seems quite a confident lad.
    "If we can get him over in good time then I have no doubt that he would be involved on Sunday at some stage."
    The other good news for Rangers is that Kyle Lafferty is winning his fitness battles to face Celtic after suffering a hamstring injury against Hearts.
    Smith added: "I think he will be fit. He only just missed out on being involved at Aberdeen so after a few days on the training ground we would be hopeful of having him for this weekend."

CELTIC were dealt a severe Old Firm blow today when top scorer Scott McDonald was confirmed to have torn a muscle in his groin, The damage to the little Aussie hitman's adductor muscle now looks likely to rule him out of Sunday's meeting with Rangers at Parkhead.

And Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink was rated only 50-50 to make it after having stiches inserted in the deep leg gash he suffered during the weekend win over Falkirk.

McDonald is causing most concern. The man who hit the net 31 times last season reported the injury late last week after returning from playing for Australia against South Africa in London.

He had to sit out Saturday's win. But manager Gordon Strachan hoped that, after a few day's rest, the diagnosis might show the injury was only a slight strain.

However, tests have now shown the muscle is torn. And, depending on the severity of the damage, that could sideline McDonald for four to six weeks.

If that is the case, he would also be out for the opening round of Champions League games which take place on September 16/17.

Even with the success of Shaun Maloney and Georgios Samaras for the final hour of the game against Falkirk, it would be a massive blow to Strachan if he had to plan for this first Old Firm game without the two men who combined to score 51 goals last season.

But better news is that defender Gary Caldwell - who has been out of action since damaging a thigh muscle against Dundee United 10 days ago - is well on the road recovery and looks like making it in time to line up against Rangers.

Coach Neil Lennon delivered the latest update on the condition of Celtic's walking wounded. He said: "Scott has got a wee groin tear so he could be a doubt.

"Jan has got five stitches in an ankle injury so it could be 50-50 for the weekend. We will just have to see how he is.

"Gary had a thigh problem. But with the rest over the weekend, he should be fine."

If Caldwell suffers any reaction in training this week, Glenn Loovens is set to team up once against with Stephen McManus at the heart of the defence.

But it is up front where most concern lies, and Lennon accepts the loss of McDonald and Vennegoor for such an important game would be a massive disappointment.

The £2.5m signing of Maloney from Aston Villa could not have been better timed, and Lennon is confident his former team-mate can pick up where he left off in his sensational debut at the weekend.

Maloney set up two goals for Samaras, even though they were linking up for the first time, and he said: "I think Shaun can play with most players because he is really intelligent.

"It is the typical big man/little man partnership, and Sami responded very well.

"Shaun has played with a lot of good players over the years, and he can play anywhere across the front line."

KYLE LAFFERTY is winning his fitness battle for this Sunday's Old Firm clash against Celtic at Parkhead.

The Northern Ireland forward limped off against Hearts at Ibrox 10 days ago with a minor hamstring strain.

He then missed his country's friendly against Scotland at Hampden, and Rangers' 1-1 draw against Aberdeen at Pittodrie last weekend.

However, the 20 year-old Lafferty has responded well to treatment at Murray Park. And Gers gaffer Walter Smith today confirmed that he expects the £3.5million signing from Burnley to be in his squad for the trip to the East End.

Assuming he makes it, Smith could deploy the towering hitman in a more central role behind a five-man midfield.

Smith said: "I think he will be fit. He only just missed out on being involved at Aberdeen at the weekend there.

"So after a few days on the training ground we would be hopeful of having him for this weekend's Celtic match."

celtic fans plan to taunt rivals Rangers on Sunday by throwing a giant beach party at this weekend’s Old Firm game.

Supporters will brandish passports, Euros and beach balls when the teams clash at Parkhead.

Rangers were dumped out of Europe by Lithuanian minnows FC Kaunas while Celtic go into the lucrative Champion’s League draw tomorrow. Celtic fans threw a similiar party at Ibrox five years ago during a 2-1 win over Rangers.

One Hoops fan said: “The passports, sun specs and travel brochures have been looked out again after the laugh we had last time.

“Guys are also trying to get theirs hands on Greater Manchester Police helmets as a little dig after all the trouble following the UEFA Cup Final.”

Dougie McDonald has been selected to referee Sunday's Old Firm showdown between SPL heavyweights Celtic and Rangers at Parkhead.

Parkhead: To host first Old Firm clash of season

McDonald will take charge of his third clash between the arch rivals.
    The previous encounters were relatively free of controversy and McDonald issued seven bookings in total.
    Celtic won both games, a 3-0 home triumph against Alex McLeish's struggling side in November 2005 and a 2-0 victory in September 2006 when Kenny Miller notched his first goal in the green-and-white hoops.
    McDonald will be under even greater scrutiny than usual after
    refereeing decisions dominated reaction to all three of the SPL's opening weekends.

Miller can handle pressure - Davies

Billy Davies expects Kenny Miller to handle the heat of his first Old Firm derby since rejoining Rangers - because of lessons learned at Derby.

Miller: Maturing as a player

The former Celtic striker, who was an unpopular signing among a large section of Rangers fans, returns to Parkhead on Sunday looking for his first goal back in blue.
    Miller netted his first Celtic goal in an Old Firm clash less than two years ago before Davies signed him last August.
    The former Pride Park boss revealed Miller was a vocal presence in his dressing room - a trait he feels will help him overcome the critics.
    "Headaches is what he gives you as a manager, because he has got an opinion," Davies said.
    "He's a very strong-minded character and he says his piece. He is a great lad to have in the dressing room because he has a go at his team-mates at the right time.
    "He expects good crosses, quality passes and he expects when he doesn't do things right for other people to give him stick.
    "That's what makes him such a good lad to have around because of the strong character that he is.
    "He is an experienced player, he has been there before, he has handled big games, he has handled criticism. It will be another game for Kenny.
    "He will expect what you expect in Old Firm matches from certain Rangers and certain Celtic fans, but that's just the situation with the Old Firm.
    "He has got a lot of courage, he will go there and work his socks off and do all he can to help Rangers win the match."
    Many detractors among the Rangers support claim they did not approve of his signing because he is not good enough.
    But Davies believes their opposition is purely down to his decision to sign for Celtic in 2006.
    "I think they won't like him because he kissed a Celtic badge in the past," said the former Rangers midfielder.
    "Take away the nuts and bolts, I think that's what it may be.
    "It's a Glasgow mentality - that's what you get in the green and white and the blue and white.
    "But life moves on, Kenny has to look after his family, there was a fantastic opportunity for Kenny to join Rangers, it's an excellent club and sometimes you have got to do what you have got to do.
    "He will have known before he joined Rangers that there will be a huge amount of pressure and criticism from certain quarters.
    "What he needs now is a number of goals to set him on his way, which I am sure he will get."
    While Miller's goal record for both sides of the Old Firm is not prolific - he has scored 11 times for each - Davies believes he brings other attributes.
    The 28-year-old's energy and work-rate were first utilised by Rangers manager Walter Smith when he made him his first choice in a lone striker's role for Scotland.
    "If you look at Kris Boyd for example, he is a magician in the box, great finisher and scores goals for fun," said Davies, who was promoting Setanta's coverage of Sunday's Parkhead clash.
    "Kenny will certainly put the ball in the back of the net given the opportunity, but his out-the-box work-rate is magnificent.
    "He will go away from home and work the back four, he will hunt down the defenders and put pressure on them, and sometimes that's what you need in certain games.
    "Other games will be the opportunity for Boyd and other guys like that.
    "It's a good mix of goalscorers, workers and target men that Rangers have."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: OF updates

SHAUN MALONEY gave Celtic yet another Old Firm scare today when he limped out of training at Lennoxtown with an ankle injury.

Just minutes after he had been recalled to George Burley's Scotland squad for the World Cup double-header, the little striker was left in agony after attempting to challenge Aiden McGeady during a training match.

The medical team were quickly on hand and Maloney was immediately taken to the physio's room to have the damage assessed and to begin treatment.

With Scott McDonald already sidelined with a torn groin muscle and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink also missing from training as he nurses a gashed ankle which required five stitches, manager Gordon Strachan can't afford to lose any more strikers ahead of Sunday's visit of Rangers. Maloney would already have been pencilled in to start at the weekend after making an immediate impact when replacing Vennegoor half an hour into Saturday's game against Falkirk - and having a major part to play in all three Celtic goals.

He will be given every chance to recover from this injury, and Strachan is grateful for the fact there is an extra 24 hours available as the Old Firm game has been put back to Sunday to suit TV.

But, the medical team at Lennoxtown will have to check on the player again tomorrow when the full extent of his injury is known.

Meanwhile, Birmingham are being made to wait a bit longer to find out if Bobo Balde will accept their offer of a two-year deal.

After reviving negotiations yesterday, they had hoped to conclude the deal today and the Guinean was expected in the Midlands for a medical.

But Balde instead turned up at Lennoxtown where he trained on his own.

Birmingham thought they had reached agreement with the player on a two-year deal.

Celtic are prepared to waive any transfer fee for the man who still has one year left on his contract and were hopeful that the lucrative offer from Birmingham - believed to match the £28,000-per-week he currently earns - would be enough to persuade the defender to leave.

The offer is understood to still be on the table but, as is his custom, Balde is refusing to be rushed into a decision.

Birmingham boss Alex McLeish wants an answer as soon as possible as he needs to move onto another target if the deal to bring in Balde can't be concluded.

And Celtic are every bit as keen to see the matter brought to a conclusion as they have plans to utilise the wages Balde's departure would release.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Pedro in pledge to Ibrox faithful

Pedro Mendes is settling in well to life at Rangers and Steven Davis also appears to be happy with his move

PEDRO MENDES today admitted nothing can prepare him for his Old Firm debut.
    The Portuguese midfielder will face Celtic for the first time on Sunday at Parkhead as the Glasgow giants lock horns for the first time this season.
    Rangers boss Walter Smith is set to hand several players their first taste of the fixture and Mendes - a £3million capture from Portsmouth - can't wait to experience the unique atmosphere.
    The 29-year-old is well aware of the importance of the match, having been constantly reminded by fans since he signed for the Ibrox club 10 days ago.

Mendes said: "It's something everyone tells me all about, but you need to be there to really live it and feel it.
    "It's a special, special game for the Rangers supporters and I will do everything I can to give them a victory. It's going to be an important game for us and it would be great if we could secure all three points."
    Mendes has made an impressive start to his Ibrox career, collecting the man-of-the-match award after turning on the style in a 2-0 win over Hearts at Aberdeen and impressing during Saturday's 1-1 draw with Aberdeen.
    His arrival seems to have sparked a better level of performance from Rangers. And the former Porto and Spurs star believes his new side is improving all the time.
    He added: "In the last two performances, the team is improving. There have been a lot of changes in a short space of time.
    "I thought we played well against Aberdeen in the first half, having 100 per cent of the game. But we lost a bad goal just before half-time and that allowed them to come out and just try to protect what they had after the interval.
    "Some of our play in the second half was good, but we only played in spells. We still had chances, but not as many as we did in the first half of the game.
    "We just need to perform well for longer periods of the game, not just in 25-minute spells. We have to build on the good things and try to improve.
    "Obviously we scored a goal at the end of the game that was ruled out because of offside. It is disappointing that decision cost us a couple of points but we must get on with things."
    Mendes admits he is enjoying life in Glasgow and added: "Everything is going well both on and off the pitch. My family is here in Glasgow and the rest of the players and the staff at Rangers have been very helpful.
    "I've settled in quickly and have enjoyed the couple of matches I've played in so far."

Lafferty return is on cards

KYLE LAFFERTY is winning his fitness battle for this Sunday's Old Firm clash against Celtic at Parkhead.
    The Northern Ireland forward limped off against Hearts at Ibrox 10 days ago with a minor hamstring strain.
    He then missed his country's friendly against Scotland at Hampden, and Rangers' 1-1 draw against Aberdeen at Pittodrie last weekend.
    However, the 20 year-old Lafferty has responded well to treatment at Murray Park. And Gers gaffer Walter Smith today confirmed that he expects the £3.5million signing from Burnley to be in his squad for the trip to the East End.

Assuming he makes it, Smith could deploy the towering hitman in a more central role behind a five-man midfield.
    Smith said: "I think he will be fit. He only just missed out on being involved at Aberdeen at the weekend there.
    "So after a few days on the training ground we would be hopeful of having him for this weekend's Celtic match."
    Smith has also confirmed that he will include new signing Maurice Edu in his squad for Parkhead - assuming the American midfielder arrives in enough time to make his debut.
    Edu was today in the process of trying to secure a working visa from the UK Embassy in Toronto, after the relevant paperwork on his work permit that was granted last Friday arrived from the UK.
    He should touch down in Glasgow by tomorrow or Thursday. And that will give the 22-year-old £2.7m capture from Toronto FC enough time to train with his new team-mates and get ready for the clash with Gordon Strachan's side.
    Smith revealed that he has no fears over pitching Edu into a baptism of fire should he choose that option after being very impressed on his first meeting with the player.
    The Rangers manager added: "We have to wait and see if we get him over on time.
    "The good thing is that he has been playing regularly and travelling around the world regularly with the US national team.
    "When I first met him he came across as one of these boys who would not be fazed by a great deal. He seems quite a confident lad.
    "If we can get him over in good time then I have no doubt he would be involved on Sunday at some stage."
    Meantime, Gers youngster Dean Furman has joined Stuart McCall's Bradford City on a six-month loan deal.

CELTIC FANS’ CHIEF RUNS RULE OVER IBROX TEAM

Davie Weir's experience is vital for Gers in big games
    With Mick Dinning of the Affiliation of Registered Celtic Supporters' Clubs

Who do you think will be the key player for Rangers on Sunday?
    If Barry Ferguson was fit then I'd say him, as I think he is still their best player. But after him then I feel David Weir is Rangers' next best player.
    He has been about for years and played for several clubs and has bags and bags of experience. I know he is reaching the end of his career, however, he was a crucial player for Rangers last season and I'm sure that will be the case again this term.
    So he is probably the guy I'd rate as Rangers most important player on Sunday. How he performs at the back could have a big influence in their performance.

What is the weakest area of the Gers team going into this game?
    Rangers signed more strikers than anything else during the summer but I don't really see anyone there who would be a massive concern to the Celtic defence. There isn't a recognised partnership there like we have with Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and Scott McDonald.

Thanks
    Karma Level

KENNY MILLER has set his sights on winning the battle for the hearts and minds of Rangers fans in Sunday's Old Firm derby.

The hitman, who continues to divide opinion among the Ibrox faithful, is well aware his return to Parkhead will provide the acid test of his popularity.

Two years ago Miller scored in this corresponding fixture for Celtic.

And it was the manner of his celebrations that proved hard to stomach for sections of the Rangers support.

Some of the Ibrox crowd still remain hostile towards Miller after he joined the club for a second time during the summer.

But the thick-skinned 28-year-old has called for them to back him rather than boo him as he prepares to enter the Lions' Den this weekend.

Miller said: "I hope the fans get behind me as I know this is the game they are looking for the team to do well in most.

Fantastic "I have obviously come back here in special circumstances and I always knew people would oppose the move.

"That was to be expected but to be honest I really don't think they have been bad so far.

"I think the majority of folk have been fantastic and the negative reaction from some hasn't hindered my performances in any way.

"With that said I think this game is one where people need to back the whole team and hopefully I can get a goal and change a few minds.

"I'm sure if I play a part in the match and we get a good result the fans will look upon things positively.

"They are exactly the same as the players and want to win these games every bit as much as we do.

"Whether the league has already been won or not and no matter what is at stake, winning means everything in an Old Firm match."

Ironically, Miller broke his scoring duck for Celtic against Rangers at Parkhead in September 2006 after failing to score in any of his previous eight outings.

The Scotland forward returns in similar circumstances having yet to find the target for Walter Smith's side following his £2.5million summer switch from Derby.

So what price history repeating itself? Well bookies Bet365 are quoting odds of 25-1 that he opens his account then kisses his badge in celebration.

Miller said: "I don't really see my situation now as being the same as a couple of seasons ago at all.

"I didn't even start the first two league games here but I was in the team every week at Celtic.

"Going into the derby a couple of seasons back I had been heavily involved but that hasn't been the case so far at Rangers.

"I missed the first SPL game through injury and only came on for the last half an hour in the second.

"I know the longer I go without a goal it isn't great and I want to get off and running but I've only made one start in the league so far.

"I don't feel under any pressure. If our team is winning then that's all that matters.

"I don't care if it's me scoring the goals or not.

"I just want to contribute to the team's success although at the same time you always want to score your first goal as soon as possible when you are at a new club.

"I definitely want to play this weekend and it would be a dream to score as well.

"Whether it is is your first Old Firm derby or your 21st there's never a bad time to score in one."

A winner in only two of his six Old Firm outings, Miller would happily settle for a repeat of his derby debut eight years ago when he was part of Dick Advocaat's side who crushed Celtic 5-1 at Ibrox.

Speaking in the Rangers News he added: "I remember the match really well.

"It was a fantastic occasion to be involved and it was obviously a good result for us.

"Winning makes the difference and any kind of victory for us at Parkhead would be great for the club.

"It's vital we get the right result. Some players have got carried away in the past in this one but I think we have a squad that can keep its head at Parkhead.

"If you look at the games there at the end of last season we were unlucky and Rangers would have won the title if they had drawn either of them.

"We will be looking to win this one, end of story.

"If we do it will be brilliant but if we don't then there is still a long way to go.

"Games at this stage of the season don't win the title although victory would give us an early advantage."

KIRK BROADFOOT today backed new team-mate Madjid Bougherra to handle his biggest test yet in a Rangers jersey.

The Algerian defender will make his Old Firm debut on Sunday as Walter Smith's men take on champions Celtic at Parkhead.

Bougherra has taken £8million man Carlos Cuellar's place in the heart of the Ibrox defence, and has looked impressive since arriving from Charlton in a £2.5m switch.

However, the big Spaniard established himself as a fans' favourite with massive performances in the opening two Old Firm encounters of last season and Gers' European run.

Bougherra will be tested to the full against Celtic's on-form strikeforce of Georgios Samaras and Shaun Maloney, who are likely to start as Jan Vennegoor or Hesselink and Scott McDonald struggle with injury.

It's a fixture that can make or break players, but Broadfoot believes Bougherra has what it takes to cope with demands and pressures of the Glasgow derby.

"Madjid is a quality player," he said. "To fill Carlos Cuellar's boots is some ask, as the big man was some player and that is why he has moved to the Premiership after Aston Villa paid a massive amount of money to sign him.

"It was obviously a big blow to see him go, but that's football. Players come and go and fortunately for us we've managed to sign a player of Madgid's quality, and he has come in and performed really well.

"He is comfortable on the ball, is big and strong, and he is used to playing under pressure at Charlton and the fans will really take to him if he continues to perform the way he has since the beginning of the season.

"Madjid also speaks good English so he has been able to join in the dressing room banter. And having Brahim Hemdani and Jean-Claude Darcheville here has helped him settle in. So I'm sure he is looking forward to Sunday's match with Celtic."

As well as Bougherra, Rangers will also hand an Old Firm debut to Portuguese midfielder Pedro Mendes. And Broadfoot believes both players are experienced enough to be able to handle whatever the fixture throws at them on the day.

He said: "Madjid and Pedro will know all about the Old Firm fixture - it's so well known all over the world.

"It's a big occasion, not only for the supporters, but also the players and everyone connected with the club. You really want to win these games.

"But I don't think it will be a problem for either of the guys. They are good players with a great deal of experience behind them. Maybe they'll be in for a bit of a shock with the noise levels generated inside the stadium, however, they'll have an idea what to expect."

Broadfoot admits Rangers would be happy to end August undefeated in the league, after wins over Falkirk and Hearts were followed up with a 1-1 draw with Aberdeen at Pittodrie last weekend.

He added: "It's been a good start to the season. We are unbeaten so far, and if we come out of the month without losing a game then I think that will be pleasing for us."

Meanwhile, Turkish club Kocaelispor are keen to entice Brahim Hemdani away from Ibrox. The Algerian can go for free as Rangers look to get his £17,000 a week wages off the books.

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink is desperate to give Celtic a boost by declaring himself fit to face Rangers on Sunday.

With strike partner Scott McDonald also sidelined with a groin muscle injury, and Shaun Maloney limping out of training yesterday after damaging an ankle, the return of the giant Dutchman - who needed five stitches in a nasty leg wound picked up against Falkirk last weekend - would be terrific news for everyone at Parkhead.

But Vennegoor reckons the confidence levels among Gordon Strachan's squad are already very high - and it's all down to the back-to-back wins they recorded against Rangers in April, that double-header setting up Celtic for their charge to the championship.

It was Vennegoor who grabbed the all-important injury-time winner in the first of those matches. And the big man has seen the side grow from that moment, but believes there is even better to come. He knows a third straight win this weekend would only add to this feelgood factor and said: "We have a group now which has won three championships in a row. The group is young and still wants to learn."

Everyone from the side which clinched the title still available to Strachan, and Vennegoor believes that is also highly significant after summers when there have been widespread changes to the personnel.

He is also delighted to see the club signing the likes of Maloney, Glenn Loovens and Marc Crosas, while also securing Georgios Samaras.

He said: "For us, it is the continuity of the group, and maybe sometimes a few new players mix it up a little bit and makes us strong. I think that's really good."

Vennegoor also believes the mental strength gained when they came back to retain the title last season will be a key asset this time around, but admits prior to ending their run of four defeats by Rangers there were serious questions asked of them.

He said: "Of course there were doubts, especially after losing the Motherwell game at home.

"But then we had the double-header against Rangers, and those two games gave us the confidence again that maybe if we were going to win all the time that we were going to put the pressure on."

The 51 goals yielded by the Vennegoor/McDonald partnership were key to Celtic holding on to their title, and the big man reckons that, when they can both shake off their injuries, the combo will become even more lethal."

Vennegoor will be watching carefully to see if there is any more movement in or out of the club before the transfer window closes at midnight on Monday.

West Brom are the latest club linked with a move for Bobo Balde, who reported for training at Lennoxtown yesterday when Birmingham had expected him to have a medical with them.

Balde did not figure in Celtic's reserve game last night, and neither did Derek Riordan, reported to be the subject of a loan battle between his former club Hibs and Hearts.

SHUNSUKE NAKAMURA insists mixing force with finesse can make him an Old Firm match winner on Sunday.

The Celtic playmaker is relishing the opening Glasgow derby of the campaign which takes place at Parkhead.

Nakamura has found his feet in the hurly-burly showdown in recent times and is desperate to make another contribution to a Hoops win.

After his arrival at Celtic, cynics doubted Nakamura had the physical qualities to shine in the frantic encounter.

Nakamura admits he had to adapt his usual, smooth style for the Old Firm experience.

But now he knows the secret of combining brains and brawn the midfielder can't wait to get stuck into Walter Smith's team again.

Nakamura said: "I look ahead to every match the same way but maybe I shouldn't say that when we are playing Rangers.

"Seriously, though, when we lost 1-0 to Rangers at Ibrox in March I was told by people it was my best performance against them.

"I wasn't sure that was the case but looking back I can see why people said that.

"Before the last few derby games of last season I maybe spent too much time thinking about Rangers and how they play their football.

"Going into the home game when we won 2-1 I didn't do that. Looking back on the replay, I can see that my performance was sometimes aggressive - I battled for the ball when I needed to.

"At other times it was more composed. I managed to distinguish between the two different sides of the game.

"I think that was the best way to approach the match.

"If I can do the same again maybe it will be the best way to play."

Nakamura's 30-yard cracker was the iconic image of Celtic's title fightback last term and ended his scoring drought in the Glasgow derby.

He said: "I didn't plan that goal last season. It was just instinctive.

"The ball sat up and I decided to shoot. It was a great feeling and I'd love to experience that again."

But team affairs matter more to Nakamura than individual glory going into Sunday's contest.

The arrival of Shaun Maloney has heightened the battle for top-team spots with Aiden McGeady and Barry Robson also capable of excelling in wide-midfield areas.

Nakamura knows the tasks he faces to keep his jersey but is adamant his hunger for the battle has not lessened.

He said: "If I didn't have that feeling I would be better off retiring.

"In every game I want to beat the player I am directly up against.

"In training I want to show the manager I am worthy of my place in the team.

"Every day I want to repay the manager and Peter Lawwell for the belief they have shown in me."

Strachan finds himself in the fantastic position of having international players fighting for a limited number of starting slots.

Nakamura recognises the strengthening that has been made since he first arrived but reckons there is less upheaval this term.

Over the past three seasons Strachan has virtually built new-look sides for each campaign with a good degree of success.

However, Maloney and Dutch defender Glenn Loovens are the only real changes to the first-choice line-up options and Nakamura reckons the continuity in selection will have an added bonus for his team over the coming months.

Speaking in the Celtic View, he said: "I feel we are more settled this year. In the past we have had a few changes every summer.

"There are not many changes this year and I think it will be easier for the team to gel.

"Am I confident about winning the league? I think we have a good team but I never take anything for granted."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Durrant backs new Rangers signings
    IAN DURRANT has backed Rangers' new signings to come through their first meeting with Celtic with flying colours.

Several players – including Pedro Mendes, Kyle Lafferty and Maurice Edu – could made their Old Firm debuts at Parkhead on Sunday.

Ibrox coach Durrant boasted a decent record in the fixture during his own playing career with Rangers and urged the debutants to make the most of the game.

"You have to relish it," he insisted. "If you come to Rangers and the first Old Firm game passes you by, then you will regret it.

"We will have the boys focused. We have been crying out for some creativity due to the absence of Barry Ferguson and we have that now. We have lads who can play the ball and play passes and in an Old Firm game that can be important."

Firm Intentions

THE OLD adage is Don't Look Back In Anger, but Steve Davis is still sore at the events of last season and feels there is a bit of a score to settle at Parkhead on Sunday.

The Ulsterman, who finally rejoined last Thursday from Fulham, believes Rangers were a little hard done by on their previous two visits to Celtic Park and the consequences were considerable.

On April 16, the Light Blues looked to have secured a creditable 1-1 draw which would have maintained a four-point cushion over their rivals with two games in hand.
    However, Jan Vennegoor or Hesselink scored three minutes into injury time to snatch a winner for Celtic.
    Eleven days later Celtic won again, this time 3-2. Scott McDonald's first goal was proven to be offside and his second took a wicked deflection.
    Of course, these things can, and regularly, happen in the cauldron of the Old Firm fixture.
    However, there is little doubt that if Rangers had avoided defeat in either of these matches they would have gone on to win the title.
    Speaking on Rangers World Davis said: "We had two bad results at Parkhead last season and we are looking to get a good one this weekend to continue our good start to the season.
    "We were in a great position going into the two games at Parkhead and losing them probably led to Celtic winning the title in the end.
    "It was a major disappointment to lose these games and then ultimately not win the league so we want to put that right this year.

"I think we showed last year that we can perform well there. I feel we were a bit hard done by in both matches as we deserved something from each of them.
    "They are great games to play in and I think everyone wants to be part of them.
    "Of course it's better when you win and get the bragging rights.
    "These games could be vital so it would be great if we could get off to a good start."

Celtic v Rangers (Sun)

Celtic will be without the strike duo of Scott McDonald and Jan Venegoor of Hesselink through injury.
    McDonald has a groin strain and Hesselink suffered a gash to his leg in the victory over Falkirk last weekend.
    Gary Caldwell could be set for a return after picking up an injury against Dundee United.
    Rangers' new signing Maurice Edu will be in their squad for Sunday's match against Celtic if his travel visa is approved by Friday afternoon.

Beasley: Gers will be out to attack

DAMARCUS BEASLEY today said Rangers will go all out for victory in Sunday's Old Firm clash at Parkhead.
    The American wing star is in positive mood as he prepares for his first trip to the East End and the first Glasgow derby of the new season.
    Walter Smith is expected to return to the 4-5-1 formation he deployed for most of last term, but Beasley insists the Ibrox outfit want to bag all three points.

He said: "We're not going for the draw and to sit back, we are going there to attack and try to win.
    "A victory would be amazing. Just being a part of Rangers in itself is a great accomplishment and it's a great honour to be a part of this club.
    "To win a game like that against Celtic at Parkhead is something I've never even dreamed of. When you put on a Rangers shirt, your wish is to win and to get a good result at Parkhead because that's where legends are born.
    "I just want a good result for the team and for the squad and hopefully we do that on Sunday.
    "It's definitely going to be interesting because I've never played at Parkhead so I'm excited about it like everyone else is.
    "I want to get my feet wet at Parkhead and get the three points that we're going there for."
    Beasley is also hoping finally to put his injury woes behind him and make his mark.
    The pacey former PSV Eindhoven man has recovered from an illness earlier in the week, as well as the hamstring injury he picked up pre-season, and says he is ready, willing and able to play a part.
    "My hamstring is pretty much 100 per cent," he explained. "Having been sick, I haven't really trained this week, but hopefully I'll manage to get a few sessions in and will be okay for the match on Sunday. I'm ready to play.
    "The coaching staff know me and my body and they know I want to play. I'm ready to go."
    Beasley is still disappointed his side won't be going into this weekend's showdown with a two-point advantage after his injury-time winner against Aberdeen at Pittodrie was wrongly chopped off for offside.
    He added: "It was frustrating, but it's over and done with now and I'm not giving it too much thought any more.
    "We could have won three games in a row, with nine points and been at the top of the league. Instead, we have lost two points already in the season."
    Beasley has been named in the USA squad for their World Cup qualifying matches against Cuba and Trinidad and Tobago, as has new Ibrox recruit Maurice Edu.
    Meanwhile, French side Nantes are believed to be considering a move for Daniel Cousin.
    The Gabonese striker will be allowed to leave before Monday's transfer deadline if the deal is right.

I’d rather walk the dog than cheer on the lads from sidelines at an Old Firm match

BARRY FERGUSON admits the pain of being unable to play in Sunday's first Old Firm showdown of the season is unbearable.
    Indeed, it affects him so much that the crocked Rangers skipper won't be anywhere near Parkhead as his team-mates go into battle in the first Glasgow derby of the season.
    When Walter Smith steps off their team bus and leads his players inside the main door at Celtic Park, he will do so without his on-field leader.
    And frustrated Fergie will bodyswerve any notion of making up the numbers in the away section either as the Ibrox legions cheer on their heroes.

Instead, the midfielder is likely to be out pacing along a Lanarkshire street walking his dog or spending time with his family.
    Anything basically.
    Anything except put himself through the mental torture of watching his team-mates going head-to-head with Celtic, knowing he is completely helpless to the cause.
    "I hate missing games," admitted Fergie in an exclusive interview with SportTimes. "It's not just the Old Firm game that I'm going to miss not playing in, it's any game.
    "Of course, they are special games, and everyone always looks forward to being involved in them.
    "However, I've got my head around the fact that I'm going to miss a number of games. It was difficult at the start when I first picked up the injury.
    "The way to get around it for me is simply not to watch games. I've been to watch one match, the first league game of the season away to Falkirk, but I just find it too hard. I even find it too difficult watching the matches on TV.
    "I just do other things to keep myself busy. You get your pals sending you text messages with updates and I always speak to the boys after the game and things, but I just try to make sure I'm doing something when the games are on.
    "It could even be something like walking the dog. It's just about doing something to take my mind off it for a while because I find it too frustrating watching the matches knowing that I'm unable to play and help the team."
    With Ferguson missing from the midfield, the responsibility will fall on the shoulders of new recruits Pedro Mendes and Steven Davis.
    Smith shelled out £3m to land the Portuguese playmaker from Portsmouth and finally secured the services of Davis from Fulham in another £3m deal after months of negotiations with the Premiership club.
    Although Ferguson hasn't been watching his new team-mates from the stands, he already knows the quality of both players and has watched bits and pieces of them in action and listened to rave reviews from their first-half display against Aberdeen at Pittodrie.
    And they certainly have his seal of approval as they prepare to take on Celtic. He also has high hopes for the other two midfielders Smith has signed -American internationalist Maurice Edu and Spanish kid Aaron.
    "I think the manager has made some great signings," said the Scotland star.
    "I obviously know what Steven can do as he was with us during the second half of last season on loan. He performed really well and it's good to have him back with us on a permanent basis.
    "And Pedro has come in and done a great job and is a quality player. He'll be making his Old Firm debut, but he has played in a lot of big matches.
    "I don't know much about big Maurice, but I've been told he is a good player and it's the same for the Spanish lad Aaron. So the manager has brought in quality and increased the competition for places in midfield.
    "And, at the back, Madjid Bougherra has looked really impressive. He has come in and struck up a good partnership with big Davie Weir almost immediately so that's encouraging and I'm sure the gaffer is pleased to have got these guys on board."
    While Ferguson won't have an opportunity to test himself in Europe, he is trying to remain positive and concentrating on trying to help Rangers win as many domestic honours as possible this term since it's all they have on their radar.
    He added: "It was a major disappointment going out of Europe, but you have to respond in the right way.
    "And the boys have managed to do that by winning their first two league games of the season and then drawing last weekend up at Aberdeen.
    "We should have come away with all three points from that one. However, it has been a very good start and hopefully we can kick on from here.
    "We still have three trophies to challenge for and we've got to concentrate on trying to be successful in those."

DEREK JOHNSTONE: Midfield dogfight is key to success or failure

by Derek Johnstone

IF KYLE Lafferty recovers from his hamstring injury in time to make his debut for Rangers in the Old Firm game on Sunday then Walter Smith has a selection headache.
    He played Kenny Miller wide on the left in the 1-1 draw with Aberdeen at Pittodrie last Saturday and went with Kris Boyd and Nacho Novo up front.
    And I thought, in the first half at least, it was the best Rangers performance of the season so far. If they had taken the goalscoring chances they created, they would have won the game comfortably.
    But, of course, they didn't. Jimmy Calderwood's team snatched an equaliser against the run of play just before half-time and, with a little help from the linesman late on, managed to hold on for the draw.

Walter, though, must have been pleased with the way his team performed, especially the new-look midfield of Miller, Pedro Mendes, Kevin Thomson and Steven Davis.
    His team got the ball flowing through the middle instead of playing it over their heads to the front men. That area will be crucial against Celtic at Parkhead this weekend.
    In fact, whoever wins the midfield battle will probably come out on top. Rangers have to be strong in that department as they will be coming up against tough opponents in the Hoops team.
    Gordon Strachan can choose from Shunsuke Nakamura, Aiden McGeady, Paul Hartley, Barry Robson and Scott Brown. Make no mistake, it is going to be a real dogfight in the middle But if Lafferty is fit then I think Walter will play him wide left in a 4-4-1-1 formation with Miller playing up front just behind Andrius Velicka.
    As I said, you need to get an edge in midfield to come out on top in this game. Kenny can track back and help out in that area. Then, if the ball is played forward he will be there too. The guy has so much energy.
    If Lafferty fails to recover from the knock which kept him out of last weekend's match then Walter also has a slight problem. I would be tempted to play Nacho Novo wide on the left and keep Miller up front.
    I thought Celtic were very ordinary against Falkirk until they scored what was a very contentious goal. It got them going as, for that matter, did the return of little Shaun Maloney.
    He showed a lot of endeavour and no little skill. He is the sort of player who can cause defenders serious problems with that bit of skill which can carve out openings for his team.
    With Scott McDonald out and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink a serious doubt, it is going to be Georgios Samaras and AN Other who will play up front for Gordon Strachan's side.
    I am sure Gordon will be keeping his fingers crossed that the ankle injury Maloney picked up in training at Lennoxtown on Wednesday will not rule him out.
    Shaun, who I was pleased to see get a recall to the Scotland squad for the World Cup qualifying double header against Macedonia and Iceland, can bring a bit of much-needed creativity to the Celtic team.
    As can Davis to the Rangers side. I was pleased to see that, after months of behind-the-scenes wrangling, Walter has finally managed to get his man for £3million from Fulham.
    The Northern Ireland midfielder was a key member of the team which won the CIS Cup and Scottish Cup last season and reached the Uefa Cup Final as well.
    He will be determined to make amends for the two costly Old Firm losses which the Gers suffered last season and could have a key part to play in proceedings on Sunday.

Defence priority for Walt

RANGERS boss Walter Smith has been pretty busy in the transfer market lately and has brought in the likes of Aaron, Steven Davis, Maurice Edu and Pedro Mendes.
    But I still think the Gers need to bring in at least one more player, probably a full-back, before the transfer window closes at midnight on Monday.
    With Barry Ferguson out of action until November, Walter's priority was to strengthen his midfield. He has done that now.
    I feel one area where he is still short is at full-back. He doesn't really have any players who can get forward from those positions.
    Despite the arrival of Madjid Bougherra, centre-half is another area the Gers boss could strengthen in the next few days.
    I don't think Davie Weir, fantastic servant though he has been for the club he has supported since he was a boy, will play every game this season as he did during an unforgettable 2007/08 campaign.
    So, expect another defender - a full-back or a centre-half - to arrive in Glasgow before the deadline to complete the squad.

Why Gord's Bhoys must be on guard

CELTIC have a fantastic opportunity to reach the last 16 of the Champions League for the third successive season after yesterday's draw in Monaco.
    But the Parkhead faithful should also strike a note of caution as they assess a section that contains Manchester United, Villarreal and Aalborg.
    United is the glamour one. To land the current holders is an absolute cracker, and the old Battle of Britain stuff will start alll over again.
    But Villarreal will be a tough nut to crack, as will Aalborg. People shouldn't just think it's a case of turning up and getting the points.

IN MY OPINION: Can Rangers cast off scars of title crash?
    by Darrell King

IT was blamed on the SPL power-brokers, a fixture pile up and a European campaign that dragged them to their knees.
    But Rangers will return to the place where their SPL title dream really started to unravel on Sunday; that old battleground of Parkhead.
    The knock-on consequences from failing to see out the championship they had one hand on has been digested thoroughly by the club's support in the wake of a dreadful European exit to Kaunas, and an absence from the big-boys' playground in Monaco yesterday when Celtic mixed with exalted company in the Champions League draw.

It could all have been Rangers to savour, had they held on. Or, more specifically, had they been able to emerge from an April double header at the venue they go back to this weekend without suffering two losses.
    Gordon Strachan's players were staring down the barrel of a championship gun in the first game when, at 1-1 against 10-men, they couldn't find a winner. That was until Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink struck just a minute from the end of injury time to blow the title race apart.
    WHEN Rangers returned for the second instalment shortly afterwards without the suspended Carlos Cuellar and Kevin Thomson, and the injured Allan McGregor, the Parkhead men had a scent in their nostrils.
    They were on a roll, going weekend to weekend in pursuit of a third domestic crown, whilst Rangers faced Uefa Cup demands that sapped their strength.
    By the time Celtic emerged 3-2 winners in the final Old Firm match of last season - the pendulum hadn't just swung, but was grappled back across the city.
    Now, refreshed with new faces on either side after one of the most emotional and dramatic finales to a season in years, the rivals meet again.
    In terms of the destination of this season's title it is hardly defining.
    Both teams sit on seven points after three matches, although Rangers can count themselves unfortunate they don't have a lead to take with them on the short journey to the East End after the cut of some refereeing decisions in the opening weeks.
    There is, however, no such thing as an Old Firm game that doesn't count. As always, the personnel deployed has been at the epicentre of all the debate in the build-up.
    Will Walter Smith be brave and have a go within his favoured testing away-day formation of 4-5-1, given the circum-stances are vastly different to the last two games?
    And what will Celtic do in central midfield, an area where they stamped massive authority in the final collisions of last term.
    Come Sunday we'll get all answers. And an insight into whether Rangers have cast off the mental baggage of returning to the place where it all went wrong.
    A third consecutive defeat, and seeds over their ability to overcome their rivals long terms will certainly be sown...

Thanks
    Karma Level

SMITH READY TO MOVE ON

Celtic Evens, Draw 9/4, Rangers 3/1

Walter Smith believes Rangers are ready for the first Old Firm derby of the season having finally put their Kaunas nightmare behind them.
    Several weeks have now passed since the events in Lithuania which saw the Ibrox club crash out of Europe just weeks after participating in the UEFA Cup final.
    The Champions League qualifying defeat was a massive psychological blow before a ball had even been kicked in the domestic campaign.
    Smith admits a meeting with their biggest rivals in the days following the shock result would have been too much for his shattered players to handle.
    But, having recovered sufficiently to record SPL wins over Falkirk and Hearts - as well as a controversial point at Aberdeen - the Rangers boss insists everyone in the Ibrox dressing room is now relishing the trip to Celtic Park.
    "We're happy to play the game," he said. "Had you asked me to play it immediately after Kaunas, we would haven't been.
    "But we have recovered a bit and we are settling down. We have a tough start to the season with three away games from four. So, if we can manage to get a good result, it is a big bonus.
    "Kaunas was as difficult an aftermath as I have had to handle, especially after the previous season. It was difficult to know how to approach it and handle it.
    "Plus, we knew we would have to integrate new players. First-season changes are by far the easiest, the second year is more difficult and we are still in the process of integrating a few boys.
    "But, obviously, we are in far better spirits than we were three weeks ago after Kaunas.
    "It was a difficult period to get over but I hope we are over it and focusing on what we need to do.
    "Going to Celtic Park - and it is not often you have three away in a row - is a big game."
    Smith expects the four fixtures against Celtic to have a major influence in the destination of the title.
    The championship was decided on the final day of last season, after all Old Firm derbies had gone in favour of the home side, and Smith knows how crucial a win this weekend could be for Rangers.
    "You are in it to win," he said. "You are with every game - but there is importance.
    "If you look at last season, both sides won their home games.
    "From a Rangers point of view, if we can go to Celtic Park and take something from there, that would be looked upon as a good result considering we still have three to play with two of them at home.
    "We used to play each other twice and now it has gone to four times. Four times is going to have an influence on a championship."

Kenny Miller out to end scoring drought against Celtic

RANGERS striker Kenny Miller goes into tomorrow's game desperate to end his run of 869 minutes without scoring.
    The 29-year-old has played in 10 games, including pre-season, since his return to the Ibrox club without hitting the net.
    And he won't take much comfort from his record against the Hoops - he has been on target only once and that was eight years ago when he netted for Hibs at Easter Road.
    Miller also went 16 games before scoring his first goal after joining the Parkhead side in 2006 - against the Ibrox outfit.
    His last goal was for relegated Premier League outfit Derby back in May in a 3-1 defeat to Blackburn. The international striker has struggled to score since the turn of the year and has netted only three domestic goals in the whole of 2008.
    He went 14 games with Derby without a goal before scoring against the Ewood Park side.
    His total goals this year add up to only four as he scored for Scotland in the 1-1 draw against Croatia on George Burley's debut.

Friend of Maurice Edu warns him over Old Firm battle

MAURICE EDU has been warned to brace himself for the shock of his life.
    St Johnstone's Collin Samuel reckons his old Toronto FC buddy won't know what's hit him if he's pitched into the Old Firm clash.
    Trinidad and Tobago World Cup ace Samuel became close to the USA player during their time together in Canadian football.
    Yesterday the Perth attacker and one-time Dundee United favourite said: "I know Maurice well. We were in the same condo in Toronto and we'd hang out together, going for lunch and talking football. But at that stage there wasn't much chat about Scottish football.
    "Maurice is a lovely guy and he'll be a good asset for Rangers but it will be a huge culture shock and a real test for him in Scottish football.
    "The football here is totally different to what he has been used to in the MLS. It is just so much more physical but he will want to get off to a good start because the transfer fee means Rangers fans' expectations will be high.
    "I've already spoken with Maurice and it will be good to see him again. I know how much he was looking forward to joining Rangers and getting his international clearance.
    "I really hope he will be a big success - he deserves it for being so ambitious. It's a great move for him. He's young but he's played internationals for the USA. I am sure he will be strong enough mentally to handle an Old Firm game if he goes straight into the Rangers squad.
    "But the physical side will be a shock for him.
    "Maurice has lots of energy and is the sort of player who makes forward runs to get into the box.
    "If he does get a debut against Celtic I just hope he's ready for it. He knows it's a massive game but I genuinely believe he could handle it."

Old Firm pressure boiling up

referee will handle the tension, says smith

Rangers manager Walter Smith has backed referee Dougie McDonald to cope with the pressure of this weekend’s Old Firm derby.
    The Ibrox coach insists the controversy surrounding match officials in the opening weeks of the season has been blown out of all proportion.
    Referees have found themselves under the spotlight for a series of high-profile blunders, with Rangers paying the price last week when assistant Billy Baxter’s decision to incorrectly disallow DaMarcus Beasley’s late winner at Aberdeen cost them two points.
    McDonald now finds himself in the unenviable position of officiating one of the biggest matches of the season at a time when officials are under more scrutiny than ever before.
    Smith does not believe tomorrow’s fixture will be any different to any other meeting between the Glasgow pair.
    He said: “It’s one of those games where there is a lot of tension involved and it brings a little bit of pressure on everybody in the game – not just the referee. The referee will handle that situation.
    “In all the time that I’ve been involved, the referees and linesmen have always made errors the same way that players and managers make errors as well.
    “There is a lot of tension in the Old Firm games and the referees have to experience it and learn how to handle it and I’m sure on Sunday the game will be handled very well.
    “It’s difficult now because of the scrutiny they are under in terms of television and aspects of the media but it happens everywhere and referees and linesmen just have to improve and cut out their errors in the same way that managers and players have to do to keep their position.”
    Honours were split in the derbies last season, with Rangers and Celtic each winning their respective home games.
    Smith is hoping to buck that trend this weekend, but is well aware of the size of task faced by his players at Parkhead.
    He said: “Any time you go to Celtic Park, you expect an extremely difficult game and we will get that. Historically, Rangers and Celtic don’t lose a lot of home games. If you do, there’s trouble.”
    A number of players on both sides will make their Old Firm debuts this weekend, with Kyle Lafferty, Andrius Velicka, Madjid Bougherra, Aaron, Pedro Mendes and Maurice Edu all hoping for their first taste of the famous fixture.
    Edu’s arrival in Glasgow yesterday was delayed after being caught up in the collapse of Zoom airline. He did take part in a light training session after arriving mid-morning.
    Edu said: “I’ve had a little jog and got the legs going again so I will be fine, I’m ready. I don’t know what’s been finalised yet but hopefully I will be in the squad and play a part in the game.”

Early Team News....

Rangers midfielder Lee McCulloch has been ruled out of Sunday's Old Firm clash against Celtic.

McCulloch has a knee ligament injury and has no chance of taking part in the match at Parkhead.

Manager Walter Smith will also make a late decision on Maurice Edu's involvement after his delayed arrival from Canada.
    The United States international was only able to participate in a light training session on Friday morning but his fitness will be assessed over the weekend.

Celtic striker Shaun Maloney has shrugged off a knock to be ready to feature.

First-choice strikers Scott McDonald and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, however, remain doubts. McDonald missed last week's 3-0 win over Falkirk with a groin injury, while the Dutchman was stretchered off with a leg injury which required stitches.

Defender Gary Caldwell should return after recovering from a thigh injury.

Celtic (from): Boruc, Hinkel, Loovens, McManus, Caldwell, Wilson, Nakamura, Scott Brown, Crosas, Hartley, McGeady, Vennegoor of Hesselink, Maloney, McDonald, Samaras, Killen, Mark Brown, Robson, O'Dea, Caddis.

Rangers (from): McGregor, Broadfoot, Weir, Bougherra, Papac, Novo, Darcheville, Mendes, Davis, Thomson, Miller, Beasley, Boyd, Alexander, Whittaker, Aaron, Fleck, Edu.

Old Firm legends urge referee Dougie McDonald to prove he's strong enough

OLD FIRM legends Frank McAvennie and Graham Roberts have urged referee Dougie McDonald to prove he's strong enough to handle the most volatile derby fixture in the world.
    The controversial duo ended up facing breach of the peace charges after arguably the most infamous Rangers v Celtic clash in history.
    Almost 21 years later both McAvennie and Roberts believe the actions of rookie whistler Jim Duncan contributed to their high-profile appearance at Glasgow Sheriff Court.
    Along with Chris Woods and Terry Butcher the pair found themselves on trial after Duncan lost the plot during an explosive encounter at Ibrox in October 1987 that ended 2-2 courtesy of a last-gasp Richard Gough equaliser.
    The refred-carded McAvennie and Woods following a handbags at dawn first-half clash and then dismissed Butcher after the break for a challenge on Celtic keeper Alan McKnight.
    Butcher and Woods were found guilty of breach of the peace, McAvennie not guilty and Roberts not proven.
    Two decades on it's the match officials who find themselves in the dock following a spate of glaring high-profile blunders in the opening weeks of the campaign.
    McDonald heads to Parkhead tomorrow for the first Old Firm tussle of the season with referees' stock at an all-time low and Roberts fearing he could crack under the pressure his colleagues have placed him under.
    He said: "The incompetence of so many Scottish refs mean Dougie McDonald is on a hiding to nothing but needs to prove he can cope with a game of this magnitude.
    "I know only too well what can happen when you have a referee who is out of his depth. Jim Duncan was useless and you could see the fear in his eyes when he walked out on to the pitch that day.
    "At the first cross of the game Macca put Woodsy in the back of the net. If the ref had stamped his authority then everybody else would have toed the party line.
    "He let him get away with it and from there it spiralled out of control. It wasn't nasty but he then over-compensated by completely over-reacting.
    "Macca and Woods were sent off and so was big Terry Butcher when it could have been avoided. I ended up in court for waving my hands in the air for goodness sake.
    "Players will take liberties if you let them. If you have a strong ref they won't push their luck."
    Never one to shirk a challenge or an issue Roberts feels there is a definite bias among SPL match officials - to the detriment of the teams they are rumoured to support.
    He said: "There are so many conspiracy theories about refs and I have my own. I've no doubt they do have an allegiance to certain teams, mainly the Old Firm, but I think because of all the negative publicity they go out of their way not to favour the team they support.
    "As a result you get so many ludicrous decisions. That's why now might be a good time to bring in a neutral referee from south of the border.
    "Some of the decisions in the opening weeks of the season defy belief and if the ref doesn't **** it up then his assistant will.
    "If you look around there are simply not enough Scottish referees who are good enough. That's the bottom line."
    McAvennie shares Roberts' concern about the prospect of Sunday's game escalating out of control if McDonald falls into the same trap as Duncan 21 years before him.
    He said: "That ref never took charge of another big game again. When I challenged Chris it was handbags at 10 paces. I've been involved in bigger struggles trying to push my way to the bar to get a glass of wine.
    "If he had been a lot stronger the situation wouldn't have gone out of control. It was a joke and he just lost the plot completely.
    "I don't buy into all this conspiracy theory nonsense, although the standard of refereeing has been abysmal. It comes down to a question of bottle for the referee and players. We'll find out if Dougie McDonald has any on Sunday."
    McDonald will take charge of his third Old Firm game tomorrow and McAvennie reckons he needs to communicate with the players rather than dictate to them.
    He said: "In my day there was always a bit of banter between the players and most of the officials. In Old Firm games particularly it helped take the heat out of a potentially volatile situation. You could swear at them and they swore back at you. We're all big boys and could handle it.
    "Nowadays Stuart Dougal tells a player to 'f*** off' and gets treated like he's murdered someone. It's nonsense.
    "If you can't have a conversation or communicate with the ref on the park you are in trouble."
    McAvennie will enjoy prematch hospitality at Parkhead before settling down to take in proceedings, however he doesn't envisage many of the stadium regulars toasting a glass to Kenny Miller.
    The ex-Celtic striker returns to the East End for the first time since rejoining Rangers in the summer. McAvennie said: "I had the chance to join Rangers before I went back to Celtic but just couldn't do it. It was nothing to do with religion or anything. I just couldn't put my family through all the hassle.
    "But Kenny has done it twice so good luck to him. I just hope the Rangers fans will be giving him more stick at the end of the game as that means Celtic will come out on top."
    However, Roberts is backing Miller to finally win over Rangers' support.
    He said: "They will take to him if he scores and puts in a great performance. This is the perfect opportunity for him to answer all his critics. I think he will."