Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nintendo DS Steering into the right direction..

Been looking around and from what I've gathered the best way to go about the DS situation is to buy an R4 + a 4GB microSD card.

The following is what I've picked out:

http://www.clickshop.com/product.php?id=2145

http://www.clickshop.com/product.php?id=2164

I have one question though. What amount is the R4 card that I've picked out limited to, for example could I put a 8GB microSD card in it etc?

Aside from that if anybody has any other advice about an alternative product or an alternative place to buy it from I'd be very thankful.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Steering into the right direction..

From what i understand m8 genuine R4's can only use upto 2gb memory cards if it states that it can take above this then its not a genuine R4 and is a clone.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is one of the main things I'm running into there is conflicting information all over the net about the maximum capacity of these things. I started thinking maybe different R4 cards have different limits or theres a by pass or something.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have an M3DS card with an 8GB card in it and it works fine. I have around 100 games on it and still have 3.5GB left. So I don't see why it should be limited at all.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The R4 WAS a good cart but now it's dead. No firmware updates from the official developer and more of the latest games require the arm7 fix. You're better off buying a card which is still being supported and thus is still being updated with new firmware etc. Also the newer carts will allow you to use SDHC (cards that above 2gb in size) so they will accept a 8gb memory card with no problems.

The best on the market is meant to the CycloDS and the latest Supercard is meant to be pretty decent. If you're on a budget then you cannot go wrong with either the TTDS or the Acekard 2, both of which can be purchased from Dealextreme.com for around £6/£7, they support SDHC memory cards and are still being updated. The CycloDS has more features but if all you want to do is play games then you're better off saving your cash and buying one of the budget cards. If say for arguments sakes 12 months down the line they stop supporting your card with firmware updates it's only cost you a couple of quid and anyway.

It's hard to pick up a genuine R4 since they stopped maing them and as such the market is flooded with clones/hybrids. As mentioned genuine R4's can only accept standard microSD cards which usually max out at 2gb. I still use my R4 but when the time comes to upgrade I think I will be looking at the CycloDS if I'm feeling rich but possibly I might just go for the AceKard 2 and see how that works out.