Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Fears over electronic cigarettes

Fears are being raised about the boom in sales in the UK of so-called electronic cigarettes.
    The cigarettes use replaceable cartridges with shots of nicotine, but have become popular because they are not covered by the smoking ban.
    While the products do not contain tar, tobacco or carbon monoxide, experts are worried as users inhale a fine heated mist and there is a lack of regulation.
    But retailers said they were healthier than normal cigarettes.
    Since the smoking bans came into force, smokers have been forced to go outside to light up.

I think our concern is that we would really like smokers to use safer nicotine products but there is a regulatory gap

Deborah Arnott, of Ash

Electric cigarettes on the rise

Companies selling the electronic cigarettes have responded by marketing them as a way of getting round the ban.
    And in recent months they have reported a rise in sales with some selling over 1,000 of the £40 starter-packs a month.
    However, campaigners including the World Health Organisation, have raised concerns, pointing out there was a lack of knowledge about the products.
    Douglas Bettcher, of the World Health Organisation, said there was a "regulatory blackhole" which meant no-one knew just what these products contain.
    "We are facing a new product. We do not know what is in these cartridges besides nicotine. What are the effects of heating and vapourising the nicotine and inhaling it?"
    And Deborah Arnott, of anti-smoking group Ash, pointed out that many of the products were made in China where quality control was "not very good".
    "I think our concern is that we would really like smokers to use safer nicotine products but there is a regulatory gap.
    "The advice is to use products that have been tried and tested such as nicotine gums and patches."

'Healthier'

But Jason Cropper, managing director of the Electronic Cigarette Company, said: "They are certainly healthier than smoking cigarettes.
    "Tests have been done on mice and in the lab and they have shown they are not harmful."
    But he said it had not been possible to carry out human trials as they were too expensive.
    "Most of these companies selling these are small companies. We do not have the finances to do that.
    "It might be an idea if we can get someone to work with us."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7658603.stm
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Electronic cigarettes

Smokers try out the electronic cigarettes in a pub

A growing number of pubs are selling electronic cigarettes to get around the smoking ban, Newsbeat has discovered.

The new gadget is claimed to taste and feel just like the real thing, but it is legal to smoke indoors.

If you're one of thousands of smokers made to shiver outside when you want a fag, it seems help is on its way.

More and more pub landlords are stocking up on electronic cigarettes to try to win back punters unhappy about having to go outside to light up.

The metal tubes look a bit like a cross between a cigarette and a pen.

They contain liquid nicotine and when you inhale on them the end lights up.

That gives you a hit of liquid nicotine and then you breath out water vapour, which looks like smoke.

Pub alternative

The Butlers Arms in Birmingham is one of the first pubs to start selling them.

Richard's a regular and is fed up with the smoking ban.

He said: "I can't believe how annoying it is. You know you keep going outside, winter's coming and it's getting colder. I'd prefer to say inside and smoke."

Electronic cigarette
    The Electronic Cigarette is a device which imitates a regular cigarette

We asked him to give the electronic cigarette a go.

He said: "It's certainly not like smoking a fag. It feels as if you're getting a hit of nicotine but no smoke."

Landlord Chris decided to start selling electronic cigarettes as an alternative for his customers who smoke.

He said: "I saw this thing advertised, and what with winter coming, it seemed like a good idea.

"The front bit's the battery. The middle bit's the electronic gubbins and the bit that you stick in your mouth is the bit that contains the nicotine.

"We've sold a few. I think about 10."

Health worries

It costs £35 pounds to buy a starter park and £4 for refills after that.

But there are worries about the health impact of smoking electronic cigarettes.

The World Health Organisation say they don't think enough tests have been done on them and they're worried using them could be bad for your health.

But retailers argue they're much safer than smoking tobacco.

Jason Cropper is from The Electronic Cigarette Company.

He said: "People still feel that they're smoking.

"It's not perfectly healthy but they're doing it in a much healthier way. It's a new generation of smoking."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/video_and_audio/7658334.stm

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Electronic cigarettes

Has anybody tried one of these things? Any good?

http://www.theelectroniccigarette.co...ack_Mini_E.Cig

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have and they are pretty good. I've got a super mini from http://www.e-cigs.co.uk/supermini.html
    They haven't replaced normal cigs but a good alternative. I haven't tried one in a pub though yet or anywhere smoking is banned

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Threads Merged!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Go to dealextreme.com theny have loads for good prices. Apparently these are very good.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've tried one. They're like magic

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

How have i never seen these before.... Means i can smoke on the flight to Florida next month... Wooohoooo

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by evilsatan View Post
    Go to dealextreme.com theny have loads for good prices. Apparently these are very good.

I've tried those as well and they are quite poor, you don't get a lot of draw from them. If your thinking of going for one spend a bit more they are well worth it the difference was a hell of a lot.

Thanks
    Karma Level

my dad has these, not for smoking in pubs but as a stopping aid.

didnt work aaaall that well, he went from 60 a day to zero for over two weeks, then one, then two and now he's back to about 10 a day real fags i think, plus this thing

problem with using it as a stopping aid is that you are still addicted i guess, and sort of still smoking, so you havent really stopped.

if they can replace 60 fags a day, and he calculated at less than half the cost, then they cant be half bad though
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

i aint seen 1 yet, electronic thing hanging out ya gob lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPlAnKs View Post
    my dad has these, not for smoking in pubs but as a stopping aid.

didnt work aaaall that well, he went from 60 a day to zero for over two weeks, then one, then two and now he's back to about 10 a day real fags i think, plus this thing

problem with using it as a stopping aid is that you are still addicted i guess, and sort of still smoking, so you havent really stopped.

if they can replace 60 fags a day, and he calculated at less than half the cost, then they cant be half bad though
    Thats the thing with them they aren't really a stopping aid they are a 'safer' method of getting your nicotine fix

Thanks
    Karma Level

So let me get this straight. Theres no tar, no carbon monoxide and no 2nd hand smoke. And ppl are still moaning about them not being included in the smoking ban. Dont get me wrong, i think the smoking ban is a good idea, but it seems it is more interested in persecuting ppl for having a nicotine habit than in protecting those who dont smoke.

DJ
    I was touched by Jesus, so i had him arrested.