Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Shit Faecal bacteria join the commute

More than one in four commuters has bacteria from faeces on their hands, an investigation suggests.
    Scientists from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine swabbed 409 people at bus and train stations in five major cities in England and Wales.
    The further north they went, the more often they found commuters with faecal bacteria on their hands - men in Newcastle were the worst offenders.
    Experts stressed the importance of hand hygiene for preventing illness.
    The bacteria found suggested people were not washing their hands properly after using the toilet, said the researchers.
    Toilet hands In Newcastle and Liverpool, men were more likely than women to show contamination - 53% of men compared with 30% of women in Newcastle and 36% of men compared with 31% of women in Liverpool.

In the other three cities - London, Cardiff and Birmingham - the women's hands were dirtier.
    People who had used the bus had higher rates of hand contamination than those who had used the train.
    Manual workers had cleaner hands than other professionals, students, retired people or the unemployed.
    Dr Val Curtis, director of the Hygiene Centre at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said: "We were flabbergasted by the finding that so many people had faecal bugs on their hands.
    "The figures were far higher than we had anticipated, and suggest that there is a real problem with people washing their hands in the UK. DIRTY HANDS

Newcastle - men 53%, women 30%
    Liverpool - men 36%, women 31%
    Birmingham - men 21%, women 26%
    Cardiff - men 15%, women 29%
    Euston (London) - men 6%, women 21%

"If any of these people had been suffering from a diarrhoeal disease, the potential for it to be passed around would be greatly increased by their failure to wash their hands after going to the toilet."
    Professor Mike Catchpole, director of the Health Protection Agency's Centre for Infections, said: "These results are startling and should be enough to make anyone reach for the soap.
    "It is well known that hand washing is one of the most important ways of controlling the spread of infections, especially those that cause diarrhoea and vomiting, colds and flu.
    "People should always wash their hands after using the toilet, before eating or handling food, and after handling animals. And remember to cover all cuts and scratches with a waterproof dressing."
    Winter vomiting
    The HPA's monitoring of infections over recent weeks suggests that cases of norovirus - the winter vomiting bug - are rising and that the annual norovirus season is likely to have begun.
    Norovirus is the most common cause of gastrointestinal disease in the UK with peak activity in terms of numbers of cases and outbreaks during the winter months, from October to March.
    It has been estimated that between 600,000 and a million people in the UK are affected each year.
    Professor Catchpole said: "Norovirus is highly infectious and easily spread in settings where people are in close contact with one another so good hygiene, including frequent handwashing, is really important." The study was part of the world's first Global Handwashing Day, dedicated to raising awareness about the importance hand hygiene plays in public health.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7667499.stm

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Faecal bacteria join the commute

Its the Andrex up here in Newcastle, even with 3 sheets wrapped together I get a Chocolate finger every time

Big washer of hands now, have to say I was a little lazy before the little one came along. Always washed after a shite, but sometimes forgot after a number 1. Always for both now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I scratch my arsehole at night and then check my emails in the morning. Maybe its a Newcastle thing
    o r i g i n a l l y k n o w n a s
    MaKas

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 3.30ghz+
    2GB Crucial Ballistix Ram 1000mhz+
    500GB Western Sata-2 16mb Cache
    Nvidia 8800GT 512mb Dx10 PCI-E
    600W Power Supply

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't leave home without it!

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll have to stop licking hand rails........

On a serious note though, harmful bacteria in small doses is good for the human body, it allows the body to build up antibodies and in the long term will protect us from illness and disease.

As my mother used to say before succumbing to Ebola, a little bit of dirt hurt no one.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I love SCAT and this please me on end. Off down to London at the first opportunity.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie View Post
    I'll have to stop licking hand rails........

On a serious note though, harmful bacteria in small doses is good for the human body, it allows the body to build up antibodies and in the long term will protect us from illness and disease.

As my mother used to say before succumbing to Ebola, a little bit of dirt hurt no one.
    Fair point CJ but not for those people that are immuno-compromised (HIV or under Chemo).

MML
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butchers knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross." - 'Dirty' Harry

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

To be fair I think a large proportion of the people probably do wash their hands, it's just that public transport is covered in shit.

Thanks
    Karma Level

You can wash your hands as much as you like, as soon as you open the bog door they'll be dirty again.
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I always said public transport was shit!
    Never take friendship personal.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hmm, I'm kinda put off one of my favourite tipples...

W.