Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Getting new Virgin boxes installed, need wiring info

I currently have just 1 Virgin set top box in my lounge but have arranged to have 2 more installed in a couple of the upstairs bedrooms. I need to know how the engineer will be wiring in the 2 new installations so I can figure out where I want the cabling to go.

I currently have 1 cable coming into the house that leads to a white box mounted on my lounge wall, I then plug a cable into that and the other end to my set top box. Will the cables for the 2 new installations also need to come from this same white box? Or can they split the cable before it gets to the white box? Or can they wire in a new cable from outside?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Getting new Virgin boxes installed, need wiring info

hi Mule

Each install is different... the install engineer will want to take the shortest and quickest route possible. which might not be the tidiest route. any excuse to make his job easier trust me.

most often it would be easier taking a split from outside at point of entry. then into an attic if possible then another splitter from there to the two boxes upstairs. running down through ceiling inside a cupboard or a corner in the rooms as required. the way i would do it also.

it will most probably be a contractor who does it, not sure which contractor in your area, but here we use Mcnicolas or Map.

the contractor gets paid by the job so wont be worried about how it looks to be honest.as long as it not a total mess. Dont be bullied into accepting the easiest route for cabling, make sure the installer explains how he proposes to run the cables and if you are not happy dont go ahead with it, as it will be seen as you accepting it and will be very difficult to get it changed without incurring re-routing charges, just tell him that you are not happy with his routing of cables and you want his manager to visit. they will try agree a better route with you and send someone with more time to do it properly.

hope that helps

furrry

Thanks
    Karma Level

how about doing it yourself with those nice little boxes that are out there?

DF Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The engineer will run the cabling around the outside of your house and drill a hole at the entry point wherever you want it (it's what they did to mine).

It WILL be be tacked correctly to the outside wall along the pointing of the bricks in straight lines. Although I have known them to do it straight over the roof too, which looks a bit crap from a distance, up the wall is fine, but they dont secure it to the roof (obviously).

Like furry mentioned. Dont let him leave until your happy with it. It will also be a sub contractor, but he should arrive in a VM van.

When he turns up, just talk to him and tell him how you'd like it and he should do as instructed. After all, it is YOUR house!

(Undertaker's advice is also a good idea, but splitting the feed for the mentioned by yourself could involve further costs with booster boxes to strengthen the weakened signal because of the split).

For some reason VM boxes work still with weaker signal's. I dont know why... DJ OD?

Thanks
    Karma Level

As mentioned the engineer will assess the job, based on what is the shortest distance.

They would more than likely do it from the outside and bash a hole in the outside wall higher up.

As we all know the best place to "split" the signal is at the source. So from the wire that comes from the road and up to your house to a box on the wall. They'll put a splitter in there and run the new wire from it.

They usually arrange the cabinet panel according to who is paying for what. The more services a house has the higher they will be on the panel, giving a stronger signal. This is why it can be a good idea to have them do these sort of things. In reality you can do yourself, but you will have to boost/amp the signals yourself if they are not strong enough to power the whole house!

VM doing it also ensures reasonably good quality parts and cable. Doing yourself, you could skimp a bit and end up with a noisy line and thus shite signal.

Boosters also boost interference, so are not always a good idea.

This can give the impression that their own boxes "always" work. You also have to remember "other" boxes are not specifically made for the UK cable system. Therefore the tuners are slightly different, less tweaked maybe. They are also likely to be serviced regularly. DBoxes etc' are old, and the tuners are too, unless replaced. Other boxes are cheap and have hit an miss tuners. Dreamboxes have the best IMO ;-)

DJ OD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
    how about doing it yourself with those nice little boxes that are out there?
    Thats the route i'd take.

Get in the loft and drill a hole in the chimney stack.
    Drop a weighted line through it and retreive it behind the fireplace, then run the coax from your original instalation with a 1-2 splitter back up the chimney and into the loft and into a 1-4 splitter.
    Then run cable through the loft to each bedroom and install a cable connection box on the wall. (this can always be used then for normal tv/satelite/etc)
    Buy a couple of 'VoxBoxes and away you go.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I wouldn't recommend any of those cable connection boxes
    either isolated or non isolated, they cause issues with the incoming frequencies, causing freezing/blocking/pixellating ... and even loss of channels(This channel is temporary unavailable msgs)

best let the installer run the cable with correct isolators

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by furrry View Post
    I wouldn't recommend any of those cable connection boxes
    either isolated or non isolated, they cause issues with the incoming frequencies, causing freezing/blocking/pixellating ... and even loss of channels(This channel is temporary unavailable msgs)

best let the installer run the cable with correct isolators
    I've had no issues with my set up using the 1-2 and 1-4 splitters from BnQ

Thanks
    Karma Level

Then run cable through the loft to each bedroom and install a cable connection box on the wall. (this can always be used then for normal tv/satelite/etc)
    sorry m8 i wasnt reffering to the splitters, i thought you was talking about the surface mount faceplates for connecting the cable into like thisAttachment 16919

these are bad news for cable tv installs in my experience
    Last edited by furrry; 1st May 2010 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I see your point.
    I was on about those face plates as a point of tidyness, and didn't realise they may cause complications.
    My install isn't that tidy ( bare wires with screw thread connectors) but I will bare in mind your comments when I eventually tidy up my set up.
    Thanks for the heads up.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Having read this i think i now know why i'm experiencing signal issues (my signal level is -20DB But it Still works 2 STB's & a Modem)
    from the ground to my little box on the wall outside is obviously VM Cabling, But it then has a break that's connected with just a little screw connector and from that split in to my house i've used cable i bought from a local hardware store and have subsequently had the signal issues, DJ OD or anybody else, any advice on where to get Good Quality cable (same as VM use) for a reasonable Price??? any help Appreciated