I cant believe this - there are certain films which should never be remade and this is one of them. Considering that this film insprired the likes of Aliens, Star Wars and Star Trek, it would be nothing short of a travesty do to this.

I deleted the middle para of this quote as the bloke was saying that he hasnt seen the origional and thinks giving classics a modern feel is good just like the 'the day the earth stood still' remake - what a dick.

The classic 1956 sci-fi film Forbidden Planet is next to be remade. Warner Brothers and Joel Silver have picked up writer J. Michael Straczynski, one of the starters of "Babylon 5" and writer of Clint Eastwood's Changeling most recently, as well as the recent Thor comics for Marvel, to rewrite Cyril Hume's script. Over the years, this project has been in the hands of James Cameron and David Twohy amongst many others, but only recently did it settle at Warner Brothers. The original follows a starship crew that is sent to investigate the silence of a planet's colony only to find two survivors and a deadly secret that one of them has.

I do wonder if there are almost too many classic sci-fi remakes in the works right now, with The Day the Earth Stood Still being the first of the batch, followed eventually by Race to Witch Mountain, Fantastic Voyage, Flash Gordon, and so many more. It's not a terrible idea to remake old sci-fi films, but I always think back to Lost in Space, a big budget sci-fi remake that really doesn't hold up at all anymore. That is always in the back of mind and I hope especially that Forbidden Planet doesn't go down that same path. Though with Straczynski writing, I really don't think that is possible.