Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Rant Bloody crippled Apple Iphone 3G

I've just received my phone bill for an October trip to the UK. £30 in data roaming charges, used mostly on accessing maps when I got a little lost in London. What the fuck is Apple thinking?? the iphone is practically crippled without a fast 3G connection and when you are roaming abroad that comes at a per MB charge which is extortionate. If Apple allowed you to cache maps to memory, that would solve everything.

Anyway I bought the Iphone 3G on the back of rumours that TomTom had a pre-release version ready, and 4 months later still nothing. TomTom blame Apple's stranglehold SDK which is preventing all competition to its SHIT maps application. I'm ready to flog my 3G and get an HTC Touch HD, which does run TOMTOM and most other good GPS apps.

Apple, STOP crippling an otherwise excellent product. There are programmers out there talented enough to take advantage of the amazing hardware... let them do their best!!!!!

"You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bloody Apple Iphone 3G maps app

I came back from Portugal last night where my nokia 6220c came in really handy. I don't know how the iphone maps work but I used nokia maps which are free to download & I have data transfer disabled as default. So apple expecting people to stream all data to use maps is basically a piss take. I know my phone is in a different class to the iphone but for finding a street or whatever it worked well & was surprisingly useful. We even found a place called "chapel of the bones" in Faro & a rendezvous to meet the villa owner & this was all in the basic map data. Hopefully for you apple will get the rod out of their ass & allow more freedom for the software on their gadgets.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

My previous phone was a Nokia N95, so I know just how well it can all work together. I'm amazed by just how little people seem to care about the issue, the GPS chip was one of the only reasons I held off getting a 2G iPhone.. and now that I've got it the bloody thing is next to useless.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

My roaming data charges came to around £1.50 when I was using my N82 in spain for 2 weeks. That was only because I hadn't turned off assisted GPS and all the 1kb connections add up. That's the benefit of having Nokia maps/tomtom/garmin/route 66/Mcguider/Navigon all preinstalled.

I totally agree that if Apple would preinstall the maps you wouldn't have this problem but I'm sure I read somewhere they get a cut from revenue generated on one of their contracts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've installed an application called Off-line Maps from Cydia, which does exactly what you suggest in allowing you to save cached maps, unfortunately its no longer working with the latest firmware update (2.2) . Apparently its do with the method in which the maps are saved on your pc using an application call GMDL, hope there's a fix soon as was planning to use it in Paris in 3 weeks.

EDIT: Just found a converter for the old maps to the new format. It's a very useful tool when abroad, anyone need any more info let me know. Well happy!
    Last edited by Cenus_; 24th November 2008 at 09:10 PM.
    All sweeping statements are wrong.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Could you not have bought a prepay sim and put a £10 on it and used it for data or subscribed to a roaming data bundle

Failing that for £30 you could have bought a map and got a Taxi

Just imagine when Europe gets Google street

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Bloody crippled Apple Iphone 3G

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post

I've just received my phone bill for an October trip to the UK. £30 in data roaming charges, used mostly on accessing maps when I got a little lost in London. What the fuck is Apple thinking?? the iphone is practically crippled without a fast 3G connection and when you are roaming abroad that comes at a per MB charge which is extortionate. If Apple allowed you to cache maps to memory, that would solve everything.

Anyway I bought the Iphone 3G on the back of rumours that TomTom had a pre-release version ready, and 4 months later still nothing. TomTom blame Apple's stranglehold SDK which is preventing all competition to its SHIT maps application. I'm ready to flog my 3G and get an HTC Touch HD, which does run TOMTOM and most other good GPS apps.

Apple, STOP crippling an otherwise excellent product. There are programmers out there talented enough to take advantage of the amazing hardware... let them do their best!!!!!

i appreciate you are an intelligent guy, however, you clearly dont have a fucking clue what you are on about here lol

1. apple have zero input on roaming charges... considering the number of demands they make to the networks they sell to, i think the networks are justified to charge whatever the fuck they like on roaming for their contracts... check your roaming charges prior to leaving the country.

2. apple do not make any mapping product. the product on the phone is a GOOGLE product. the reason they dont cache maps is cos then youd have to cache an entire fucking planet of maps. something google would be fucking retarded to do..plus its not really googles "ethos". should we make people come to our service so we can serve ads and THUS MAKE FUCKING MONEY, or should we bow to GTI and give away all our mapping data for absolutely fuck all... hmmmmmmm tough fucking choice.

google maps is not a navigation application, its a MAPPING application. there is a fucking massive difference.

3. if you bought a fone for a single functionality on the mere rumours that an app was coming out... you fucked yourself over, no one else did it to you. this is an APPLE product after all.. rumours mean precisely fuck all.

4. apple control the entire supply from start to finish. this is the sacrifice we must make for a shit hot user interface and gorgeous form factor.. thats simply it. you deal with apples shit cos they simply make such good shit. if you wanted tom tom... forgive me for saying, but why not buy a fucking fone that comes with tom tom?? i think the onus is on tom tom to get their shit up to apples expectations, not the other way round.

so in total, most retarded post ive ever seen u make lol
    Last edited by marcode; 24th November 2008 at 09:33 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Jebus marcode even for you I thought that was a bit harsh

Thanks
    Karma Level

My previous phone was a Nokia N95, so I know just how well it can all work together. I'm amazed by just how little people seem to care about the issue, the GPS chip was one of the only reasons I held off getting a 2G iPhone.. and now that I've got it the bloody thing is next to useless.
    Want to swap my N95 for your iPhone?
    Banned Scammer

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode View Post
    i appreciate you are an intelligent guy, however, you clearly dont have a fucking clue what you are on about here lol

1. apple have zero input on roaming charges... considering the number of demands they make to the networks they sell to, i think the networks are justified to charge whatever the fuck they like on roaming for their contracts... check your roaming charges prior to leaving the country.

2. apple do not make any mapping product. the product on the phone is a GOOGLE product. the reason they dont cache maps is cos then youd have to cache an entire fucking planet of maps. something google would be fucking retarded to do..plus its not really googles "ethos". should we make people come to our service so we can serve ads and THUS MAKE FUCKING MONEY, or should we bow to GTI and give away all our mapping data for absolutely fuck all... hmmmmmmm tough fucking choice.

google maps is not a navigation application, its a MAPPING application. there is a fucking massive difference.

3. if you bought a fone for a single functionality on the mere rumours that an app was coming out... you fucked yourself over, no one else did it to you. this is an APPLE product after all.. rumours mean precisely fuck all.

4. apple control the entire supply from start to finish. this is the sacrifice we must make for a shit hot user interface and gorgeous form factor.. thats simply it. you deal with apples shit cos they simply make such good shit. if you wanted tom tom... forgive me for saying, but why not buy a fucking fone that comes with tom tom?? i think the onus is on tom tom to get their shit up to apples expectations, not the other way round.

so in total, most retarded post ive ever seen u make lol
    Throw a man a bone Marcode, can't you empathise with any of my angst? Nokia maps allow you to download to memory countries/regions etc.. so that you're not dependent on a 3G network, I'm sure google could offer the same. After all what money are they currently making with their Apple maps? there is no in-line advertising and I don't think they derive any revenue from the 3G data download.. its just the mobile companies that are making a killing.

The Apple iPhone was conceived in the vastness of the USA, so data charges and roaming are a non issue. I live in Basel, Switzerland, on the tri-border with France and Germany. Even in my own apartment I sometimes pick up a weak French telecoms signal. Right now I'm visiting the UK and I daren't use my iPhone because I'll be hit with something like £1 a MB... goddam obscene I tell thee.

As I said there are a handful of mapping companies on the brink of releasing GPS mapping apps but its the legal wrangling with Apple which is holding them back. Again, what is the point of a GPS chip when there is only one program that can use it, and only when you have access to a 3G network and an unlimited data plan?
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

As I said there are a handful of mapping companies on the brink of releasing GPS mapping apps but its the legal wrangling with Apple which is holding them back. Again, what is the point of a GPS chip when there is only one program that can use it, and only when you have access to a 3G network and an unlimited data plan?
    actually a great deal of the apps use gps. the gps was designed to allow apps to be more location aware which they are. it wasnt necessarily for navigation purposes.. especially when u consider the battery life. driving to edinburgh using mine as gps vavigation near killed half the battery with the screen, gps and 3g running full time.

dont get me wrong, i understand the point you were making, but at the same time if a nav app was a sole driver of the purchase, you need to research your handset decision better next time lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

The Apple iPhone was conceived in the vastness of the USA, so data charges and roaming are a non issue. I live in Basel, Switzerland, on the tri-border with France and Germany. Even in my own apartment I sometimes pick up a weak French telecoms signal. Right now I'm visiting the UK and I daren't use my iPhone because I'll be hit with something like £1 a MB... goddam obscene I tell thee.
    I used mine in Prague a couple of months ago and the cunts at o2 charged me £8 something per MB. I felt violated
    All sweeping statements are wrong.