Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Cars F1 news - Coulthard, Jordan & Brundle join BBC

Coulthard, Jordan & Brundle join BBC

Coulthard will work for the BBC while continuing as a Red Bull test driver

David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan have joined the BBC as part of next year's presentation team in Formula One.
    Coulthard, who retired as a race driver at the end of the 2008 season, will join former team boss Jordan as a pundit alongside anchor Jake Humphrey.
    Jonathan Legard moves from 5 Live to commentate with ex-F1 driver and award-winning broadcaster Martin Brundle.
    And veteran commentator Murray Walker will return to the BBC as a regular presence on the Sport website.
    The 84-year-old, who became a household name during five decades of F1 commentary for the BBC, will be offering his expert insight and perspective on the action and interacting with F1 fans through an online Q&A forum.
    The pit-lane reporters will be Ted Kravitz and Lee McKenzie.

For Coulthard, who will continue as a test driver and consultant for Red Bull, it will be a first foray into broadcasting after a long and successful Grand Prix career behind the wheel that included 13 victories and runner-up spot in the world championship to Michael Schumacher in 2001.
    The 37-year-old Scot said: "After 15 seasons competing in F1, my passion for the sport is still very much alive, and therefore I was delighted to be given the opportunity to share my views and experiences through the BBC coverage of F1.
    "Many of the BBC team are known to me already and, for those members new to F1, I look forward to building on the established audience of F1 fans in the UK."

Legard is returning to F1 after four years as 5 Live's football correspondent - he was the radio station's F1 correspondent from 1997 until 2004.
    Humphrey switches to F1 having previously worked on the Beijing Olympics and Euro 2008, among other things.
    Kravitz, like Brundle, is a former member of ITV's F1 team. McKenzie, the daughter of Daily Express F1 correspondent Bob McKenzie, has been a broadcaster on motor racing and other sports for ITV and Sky Sports.
    The BBC has a five-year deal to broadcast F1. It runs from 2009-2013 and includes exclusive rights for TV, radio, online and mobile.
    Niall Sloane, BBC head of F1, said: "We have put a fantastic team together and are delighted to be able to offer a comprehensive and engaging Formula One experience.
    "This is an exciting sport and we are very much looking forward to next year."
    Further details about the BBC's plans for the coming season will be revealed in the new year.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/7745347.stm
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: F1 news - Coulthard, Jordan & Brundle join BBC

I am really looking forward to next years F1 season. It looks like a completely revamped package across the board, from the return to the BBC, new commentators, Slicks, new drivers, KERS, Murray Walker, a Force India powered by a McLaren Mercedes engine, hopefully a competetive Jenson Button and maybe even a driver called Senna lined up somewhere.

I would also like to think that there are going to be a few more teams in the mix from the start. Toyota, Renault, Honda & BMW should all be up there being competetive with McLaren and Ferrari.

Only another 4 months to wait. ****.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Its absolutely wonderful that we no longer have to put up with James Allen, who is, im sure, a really nice bloke, but is a terrible commentator.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tronads View Post
    Its absolutely wonderful that we no longer have to put up with James Allen, who is, im sure, a really nice bloke, but is a terrible commentator.
    I am with you 100% on that.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tronads View Post
    Bang on!! it'll be interesting, a good BBC team, no adverts
    Now let's hope Cuntlestone and Co. will just leave it the feck alone........
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The only name I really wanted to see go over to the Beeb is Martin Brundle. His grid walks are legendary.
    I'm a bit disappointed Mark Blundell isn't going over as I thought he was quite good on ITV.

Dropping James Allen was a good move but lets face it, no one will live up to Murry Walker in terms of exciting commentary.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I like Mark Blundell but his strangling of the English Language got right up my nose!
    I think Jensen will make a good commentator one day, he did it a couple of years ago and was a natural.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    I think Jensen will make a good commentator one day, he did it a couple of years ago and was a natural.
    Yeah he was certainly better than Antony Davidson. I remember cringing when Jensen won and Antony Davidson was commentating. People with little personality make shit commentators and unfortunately for Antony he has no personality.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

It looks like Button could be available sooner than expected, if there IS an F1 that is! http://news.myjoyonline.com/sports/200812/23547.asp
    Last edited by blaggard; 5th December 2008 at 08:46 AM.