Close

Thread: Freebird Solo

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Freebird Solo

Nice Youtube vid...whats your opinion Blaggard?

YouTube - SoloDallas' FreeBird, in Sync
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Freebird Solo

One of my all time favourite pieces of music that is...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

He's capable but I have to say that I avoid teaching/playing other peoples solos and get people playing to that standard themselves. The solo in Freebird is one of the few that are not "ad lib" Brian May has had to go on tour playing the same solos over and over because of the multi layered harmony guitar parts he uses. If I spend hours agonising over a solo in the studio (not often, I like to get them out of the way quick, (skin up, rack 'em up, pour me a malt and get out of the way!) any way having done that it is only the listener who may want to hear the familiar solo again and again the player will usually want to wing it with just a few key parts repeated.
    As to the solo in the vid, I would rather (obviously given my comments here) have heard an original solo but in any case I'd have rather he used a backing track WITHOUT the original solo as it becomes a it like singing along with the radio, you only REALLY hear the recorded voice/guitar and your brain attributes it to you.
    As far as I can tell he seems a reasonably good soloist but I'd need to hear something original!
    I bet you wished you hadn't asked now!!
    If at first you don't succeed.....redefine success. . . .

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
    He's capable but I have to say that I avoid teaching/playing other peoples solos and get people playing to that standard themselves. The solo in Freebird is one of the few that are not "ad lib" Brian May has had to go on tour playing the same solos over and over because of the multi layered harmony guitar parts he uses. If I spend hours agonising over a solo in the studio (not often, I like to get them out of the way quick, (skin up, rack 'em up, pour me a malt and get out of the way!) any way having done that it is only the listener who may want to hear the familiar solo again and again the player will usually want to wing it with just a few key parts repeated.
    As to the solo in the vid, I would rather (obviously given my comments here) have heard an original solo but in any case I'd have rather he used a backing track WITHOUT the original solo as it becomes a it like singing along with the radio, you only REALLY hear the recorded voice/guitar and your brain attributes it to you.
    As far as I can tell he seems a reasonably good soloist but I'd need to hear something original!
    I bet you wished you hadn't asked now!!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

all I know is - the way he is bending those strings, if it was me - there would be bits of my fingertips all over the floor!