Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Brits and Americans are being killed in Mumbai!

The Indian army is reportedly moving in on two hotels in Mumbai where terrorists have taken western hostages.

One of the Mumbai 'terrorist' gunmen, caught on Indian channel NDTV

Over 40 western hostages are reportedly being held at two luxury hotels in soutern Mumbai, say the Times of India.
    A group calling itself the "Deccan Mujahedeen" has claimed responsibility for the attacks, according to the Press Trust of India.
    Eyewitness reports say the attacks were aimed at British and American nationals.
    At least 80 people have been killed and 250 are injured, say Mumbai police.
    Gunmen have targeted several hotels, a popular tourist cafe and a crowded train station in at least eight attacks.
    Attacks have been reported across southern Mumbai, at the Leopold Cafe, the Ville Parte, the Oberoi Hotel, the Trident Hotel, the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel, the Nariman House, the Colaba, the CST train station's Victoria terminus, JW Marriott hotel and one other location.

Map of the attacks in Mumbai

Guests at the Taj Mahal Palace hotel were said to be "terrified and trapped", according to reports from the Times of India.
    The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) is advising all Britons in Mumbai to stay indoors, after eyewitness accounts say the attacks are primarily aimed at western tourists.
    Gordon Brown said: "These outrageous attacks in Mumbai will be met with a vigorous response.
    "I have sent a message to Prime Minister (Manmohan) Singh that the UK stands solidly with his government as they respond, and to offer all necessary help.
    "Urgent action is under way to offer every possible protection to British citizens in the region."

Mumbai on high alert after the spate of terror attacks

The White House has also condemned the attacks.
    A spokesman said:"Our sympathies go out to the families and friends of those killed and injured, and to the people of Mumbai.
    "We are monitoring the situation very closely and stand ready to support the Indian authorities as they deal with this horrific series of attacks.
    "At this point, we are unaware of any American casualties."
    Alex Chamberlain, a Briton caught in the attacks, said an attacker asked tourists if they were British or American before opening fire.
    He added there was "no doubt in my mind" that the attacks were from a fundamentalist Islamic group.
    The police commissioner A. N. Roy said: "These are terrorist strikes in at least seven places."
    He added: "The terrorists have used automatic weapons and in some places grenades have been lobbed."

Tory MEP Witnessed Shootings

Conservative MEP Sajjad Karim was trapped in the Taj Palace Hotel in the southern part of the city as one of the attacks took place.
    He told Sky News: "There was a lot of commotion in the main lobby, and then another gunman came right in front of us and started shooting.
    "I saw a number of people go down, but I was fortunate enough to get away."
    He added: "We've no idea what is going on outside."
    Barry Moses, who lived in Mumbai for two years, told Sky News online the Taj Mahal hotel is the city's main luxury hotel, next to the Gates of India.
    He added the restaurant Leopold's, which is "just around the corner" is popular with tourists and backpackers.
    He said: "It's in all the books as a destination to go to. There will be very few Indians in there.
    "I'm guessing, if anyone has been shot in the restaurant, they will include foreign nationals."
    The Taj Mahal is where the English cricket team stay when they visit the city.
    More follows...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Brits and Americans are being killed in Mumbai!

this is not good, 80 confirmed dead which is more than likely to rise much higher and over 900 injured.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Looked nuts from what I just saw on the news

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

can see bush now twitching and wincing... to send in HIS troops...

absolutely nuts.... the pictures of the train station in th papers this morning look like a masacre.
    Who were you when you thought you where you was?. Whats a matter for can't you want to?

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=206125

ALWAYS post links to sources when posting news from other sites.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flanflinger View Post
    can see bush now twitching and wincing... to send in HIS troops...

absolutely nuts.... the pictures of the train station in th papers this morning look like a masacre.

Mossad will be in there way before them.
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    http://www.digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=206125

ALWAYS post links to sources when posting news from other sites.
    I did, it was just in the middle of the text: said an attacker asked tourists if they were British or American before opening fire.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Jewish centre seized in Mumbai

Police have surrounded a Jewish centre in Mumbai where a rabbi, his wife and a number of others are thought to have been taken hostage.
    A series of co-ordinated attacks across the Indian city, which began late on Wednesday, have left 101 people dead.
    The centre is the base for the Jewish outreach group Chabad Lubavitch.
    The Reuters news agency says that four gunmen remain in the building. There have been reports of gunfire.
    The house, which acts as a centre for prayer and study, attracts many Jewish and Israeli visitors every year.
    A spokesman for the Lubavitch movement in New York, Rabbi Zalman Shmotkin, said he did not know the status of Rabbi Gavriel Noach Holzberg, who is being held hostage in the centre.
    Rabbi Shmotkin told the Associated Press: "It seems that the terrorists commandeered a police vehicle which allowed them easy access to the area of Chabad House and threw a grenade at a gas pump nearby." A near-by resident, Sanjay Bhasme, said he telephoned police after shooting began at around 9:45pm local time, but no police arrived for more than 30 minutes. Chabad House is situated in the Nariman business and residential complex in south Mumbai.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7752057.stm

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2 View Post
    Jewish centre seized in Mumbai
    Cue Mossad as your rightly said.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

whats the likely action against Pakistan? clearly there coming from there. think India are less tolerant to Pakistan than others.

"Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing, and dancing sooner than war "
    "Your proposition may be good. But let's have one thing understood
    Whatever it is, I'm against it! And even when you've changed it Or condensed it
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Pakistan-India relations are better than they've ever been in recent years!

Also some news reports state that some of the attackers spoke Hindi which suggest they are of Indian origin, so I suspect action against Pakistan will be nothing more than diplomatic.

If India does point the finger at Pakistan, then major diplomatic problems could ensue, but that may be less likely to happen as quickly as occurred in the past when relations were more fraught. An attack by militants on the Indian parliament in December 2001 nearly led to war between the two countries.
    The chaotic picture has been further confused recently by claims that Hindu nationalist groups had also been behind some recent bomb attacks.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7752173.stm
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DelTrotter View Post
    whats the likely action against Pakistan? clearly there coming from there. think India are less tolerant to Pakistan than others.

"Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing, and dancing sooner than war "
    What are you expecting a boycott of all cornershops ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

obviously Pakistan is the key in all this. the Pakistan government are trying its 'hardest' to stop these Islamic fanatics but its not gonna be enough because the average Muslim is Religion first nationality second??!! am i wrong?
    yeah of course id love it they wiped themselves of the map. Means the west has a few less worries.But also im a realist, its gotta come to and head at one point in time!!
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

What are you expecting a boycott of all cornershops ?
    are you insinuating all cornershops are run by ethnic minorities?? shame on you 4me2m that could be the most racist comment on here . your not that brian paddick are you??
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

Thanks
    Karma Level

obviously Pakistan is the key in all this. the Pakistan government are trying its 'hardest' to stop these Islamic fanatics but its not gonna be enough because the average Muslim is Religion first nationality second??!! am i wrong?
    yeah of course id love it they wiped themselves of the map. Means the west has a few less worries.But also im a realist, its gotta come to and head at one point in time!!

So what are you proposing then a Kristallnacht style action and mass eviction ?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

nope, India and Nato put constant pressure on Pakistan to stop allowing terrorist activity or face the consequences. but im from the mold of Caesar conquer first then set the rules later , much easier that way. Afghanistan is being lost, India need to show strength now, Islam fanatics can sense the weaknesses , and like any enemy, once a weakness is spotted its preyed upon.

im no Nazi, the uniform is just not me!! and my fondness for seinfeld and Curb wouldnt be wise.
    But if you wanted true peace in the world unfortunately that is the path you should of chosen, think about it! Lenin lovers feel free to oppose that.
    I'm against it!"
    A top man

Thanks
    Karma Level

nope, India and Nato put constant pressure on Pakistan to stop allowing terrorist activity or face the consequences. but im from the mold of Caesar conquer first then set the rules later , much easier that way. Afghanistan is being lost, India need to show strength now, Islam fanatics cans sense the weaknesses , and like any enemy, once a weakness is spotted its preyed upon.

im no Nazi, the uniform is just not me!!but if you wanted true peace in the world unfortunately that is the path you should of chosen, think about it!
    Was your name on the recently leaked list ?