Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default N85 vs C905? Which should I buy?

I've decided to get a new phone this week ready for my trip away at the weekend. That way I don't need to take my digi cam as well as my phone.

So i've narrowed it down to the N85 or the C905 but i really can't decide. Both are free and cost £30 a month for the C905 and £35 a month for the N85. I'll never use all the free mins or text etc so thats plenty a month for me!

Has anyone got a N85 yet? I like the Nokia interface and the battery life is meant to be really good on them compared to the N96. But I like the idea of a 8.1 pixel camera in the C905? I used to take loads of decent pics with my N95 so would be good to take some even better ones with the C905?

My heart say C905 but my head says N85 as its going to be more familiar??

What would you guys do?

---------------

Update - I couldn't wait and went for the C905. I did a flickr search and some of the pics with the C905 look really good so went for that one. Lets hope i've made the right choice!
    Last edited by liveseytowers; 17th November 2008 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: N85 vs C905? Which should I buy?

I am as pleased as punch with my c905 im really happy with the picture quality and xenon flash.

These was taken in a dark bar over the weekend.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by liveseytowers View Post
    Update - I couldn't wait and went for the C905. I did a flickr search and some of the pics with the C905 look really good so went for that one. Lets hope i've made the right choice!
    Good move mate I've got a couple of mates with the n82 & it's got a really fiddly (small) keypad - that's what remembered about their phones anyway. It's also quite thick.

I recently got a nokia 6220c & was going to recommend that but tbh I'm not that much into phones nowadays & I would only be recommending that because I've took some nice photos with it & found the maps feature useful while abroad.

edit - whoops n82/n85 shows how much I pay attention - d'oh!
    Last edited by beansontoast; 17th November 2008 at 10:19 PM.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

lets have an update when you have it mate, i want one and would like to see some opinions on it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by russbeer View Post
    lets have an update when you have it mate, i want one and would like to see some opinions on it.
    Its arrived this morning (good job i was running late or i'd have missed it lol) so will be having a play today. I am normally a Nokia man so its going to have to be good to convince me. Will post up a full review later.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been using the C905 for most of the day and I like it. First impressions are that its a classy phone. Very well packed and getting it out of the box was kinda fun. Its a bit chunky and is a little bit wider where the lense cover is. Over all its no bigger in my pocket than my old N95 or iPhone.

Its easy to set up, sim sits in nice and easy and the 2gig memory card is already installed. When you turn it on you get a mini tutorial to set the time up etc.

I send all my contacts from my other phone via business card to the C905 and stored them that way so that was painless.

Sending a text is really nice, i'd forgot how simple the Erricson GUI was. As a phone it works very well. The menu's are fast and loading up my contacts etc is painless. You can't say that it suffers from any kind of slow down like the new Nokia's do.

The camera is really good. Very easy to use, just slide down the lense cover and point and shoot. Its got buttons for changing the flash settings and focus settings so you don't have to go through loads of menu's which I like.

Here are two quick snap's I took of my work Nokia. The lights are bright in here but I think these turned out OK.

Now the GPS, it comes with software pre-installed which is Wayfinder and has a free 3 month trial. The phone pics up a signal pretty quick, miles better than my old N95! I've not figured out if the maps are stored on the phone or if it downloads them as it goes. I don't have a data package until tomorrow so i don't want to test it in case I get charged for it.

Overall i've very please with the C905. I think we'll get on fine and after hearing about the issues with the Nokia's running slow i'm glad I went for the C905. Will be interesting to see how I feel about it in a months time though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers livesey, I'm all set to go for it when my contract is up next month.

When you say it has a 3 month trial of the gps software... how much does it cost after that????

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by russbeer View Post
    When you say it has a 3 month trial of the gps software... how much does it cost after that????
    Fuck knows. I'm going to download the maps tomorrow so will check it out. I don't think its the best software the wayfinder but i'm sure its better than being lost

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the GPS, I've been looking at the N85 and I really like what i've seen of it so far but there are reports of the slider being wobbly, the one I looked at wobled too and it spoils what feels like a very nice phone, I though the GPS on the C905 was just for geotagging photo's If this is not the case and it can be used for something like TomTom I'd take a serious look at this phone.
    Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat, sooner or later you get pissed off.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by legolamb View Post
    I'd be interested to know how you get on with the GPS, I've been looking at the N85 and I really like what i've seen of it so far but there are reports of the slider being wobbly, the one I looked at wobled too and it spoils what feels like a very nice phone, I though the GPS on the C905 was just for geotagging photo's If this is not the case and it can be used for something like TomTom I'd take a serious look at this phone.
    Only just noticed this, the GPS on the phone is good and connects really quickly but the Satnav software that it comes with is UTTER UTTER SHITE! I can't emphasis HOW SHIT IT IS! It uses waypoint navigator which must have an internet connection, even if you already have the maps pre-loaded (which I can't do because it throws a wobbler).

I used Nokia maps on my N95 and it was ace, Garmin was even better. This waypoint software really lets the phone down IMO. Its better than my N95 in every way other than the satnav software.