Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default 47" 12ft away - Good Picture on Xbox ?

Hi..

Thinking getting a 47" LCD TV for my bedroom - will be sitting 12ft away mainly playing XBOX 360 or watching films via laptop with HDMI connection

Will this be ok or should I get smaller one...

Looking at LG 47LG5000 47" 1080p Digital LCD TV from tesco its a great price...

What do you all think...

Ian

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: 47" 12ft away - Good Picture on Xbox ?

I have the sony kdl46x3000 and it is mint at a similar distance, few of my mates have similar sized lcd's and they all look fine at that sort of distance as well.

The one I have is maybe 'slightly' better than you are looking at but it should be fine

Thanks
    Karma Level

ta...

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech Re: 47" 12ft away - Good Picture on Xbox ?

Quote Originally Posted by ise438 View Post
    Hi..

Thinking getting a 47" LCD TV for my bedroom - will be sitting 12ft away mainly playing XBOX 360 or watching films via laptop with HDMI connection

Will this be ok or should I get smaller one...

Looking at LG 47LG5000 47" 1080p Digital LCD TV from tesco its a great price...

What do you all think...

Ian
    Based on your info you provided ...

16.2 deg = Current Viewing angle
    17.7 Feet = Maximum recommended viewing distance
    6.4 Feet = Maximum recommended SMPTE viewing distance (30 degree viewing angle)
    7.4 Feet = Maximum THX viewing distance (26 degree viewing angle)
    5.3 Feet = Recommended THX viewing distance (36 degree viewing angle)

Screen size to achieve SMPTE minimum viewing angle = 77.2" (which is 96.5" [4:3 Diagonal] or 88.5" [16:9 diagonal])

Screen size to achieve THX recommended viewing angle = 93.6" (which is 117" [4:3 diagonal] or 107.4" [16:9 diagonal])

Viewing Distances Based on Visual Acuity = 16.4 Feet (Maximum Viewing Distance for NTSC/PAL(720x480/720x576)

Viewing Distances Based on Visual Acuity = 6.1 Feet(Maximum Viewing Distance for HDTV(Fully resolved 1080i; 1920 x 1080)

-Maximum recommended viewing distance: Based on data from Electrohome, which suggests a viewing distance of three to six screen widths for video. This corresponds to the point at which most people will begin having trouble picking out details and reading the screen. Probably too far away to be effective for home theater, OK for everyday TV viewing. Most people are comfortable watching TV between this distance and half this distance.

-Maximum SMPTE recommended viewing distance: SMPTE standard EG-18-1994 recommends a minimum viewing angle of 30 degrees for movie theaters. This seems to be becoming a de facto standard for front projection home theaters also. Viewing from this distance or closer will result in a more immersive experience, and also lessen eye strain caused by watching a smaller image in a dark room.

-Maximum and Recommended THX viewing distances: THX also publishes standards for movie theaters to adhere to for THX certification. THX requires that the back row of seats in a theater have at least a 26 degree viewing angle and recommends a 36 degree viewing angle.

-SMPTE and THX screen widths: These are the minimum screen widths required to meet the SMPTE and THX recommendations discussed above.

-Viewing Distances based on Visual Acuity: These distances are calculated based on the resolving power of the human eye (reference), or visual acuity. The human eye with 20/20 vision can detect or resolve details as small as 1/60th of a degree of arc. These distances represent the point beyond which some of the detail in the picture is no longer able to be resolved and "blends" with adjacent detail.
    Last edited by kracken; 28th November 2008 at 09:17 PM.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

2ft away from lappy cant read that!
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington