Vickers told to 'tone down' quirky style

Saturday, November 29 2008, 11:28 GMT
By Daniel Kilkelly, Entertainment Reporter
ITV / Rex Features

X Factor's vocal coach Yvie Burnett has claimed that Diana Vickers needs to tone down her quirky singing style.

Burnett revealed that she has kept recent criticism of the 17-year-old's voice in mind when she has worked with her recently.

"I wouldn't ever take it away but I tell her not to yelp too often," Burnett told the Daily Record. "It's her style. I don't want to take it away because she wouldn't sound like Diana.

"But we put it in here and there and don't do it all the time. In vocal coaching, you do enough of something - you don't put it into overkill."

Spanish singer Ruth Lorenzo has also been instructed to hold back in her performances if she wants a better chance of winning the ITV1 talent show.

"Her voice is huge. If you hear her in real life, it's really, really loud," Burnett explained. "But when you've got a big voice like that, it's harder to control.

"She's worked incredibly hard and can now sing softly and build it up, which is a great talent. She's a Celine Dion-type of singer - a proper singer. I hope she does well whatever happens to her on The X Factor because she's a great talent."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/xfactor/...rky-style.html