Hey guys,

Bit confused here.

Bascially had lil accident in the car, a woman got to close and scrapped my motor.

Took her info, rang insurance told em what happened, told them she admitted she was wrong (no other was, she was driving the wrong way down the road).

Insurance said they will book my car into a garage for repair, collect/drop of a courtesy car today.

Thats all done - now they ring me up saying "its £486, want to do it privately and drop the claim".

I was like... wtf i aint paying anyway so what gives?

She says that as far as the garage is aware that i am paying them the excess (£500) out my own pocket then its up to me to get that money back from the insurance company, once they have settled the dispute?

Even more so.. i thought it was excess... i.e i pay the first 500 of any claim? They just said its going to cost 486.. so wtf would i give them 500 if thats not what the work costs?

Is this the right way of doing things? What if in the end of it all the insurance fuck up and say actually we wont be giving you that 500 quid back.

Should i just pay it? Should i pull the car out of the garage?

If thats not written into my policy details, im going to request written confirmation that i will get my money back once the claim has been sorted.

Confused.com