Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Car Insurance Question - so confused?!

Hey guys,

Bit confused here.

Bascially had lil accident in the car, a woman got to close and scrapped my motor.

Took her info, rang insurance told em what happened, told them she admitted she was wrong (no other was, she was driving the wrong way down the road).

Insurance said they will book my car into a garage for repair, collect/drop of a courtesy car today.

Thats all done - now they ring me up saying "its £486, want to do it privately and drop the claim".

I was like... wtf i aint paying anyway so what gives?

She says that as far as the garage is aware that i am paying them the excess (£500) out my own pocket then its up to me to get that money back from the insurance company, once they have settled the dispute?

Even more so.. i thought it was excess... i.e i pay the first 500 of any claim? They just said its going to cost 486.. so wtf would i give them 500 if thats not what the work costs?

Is this the right way of doing things? What if in the end of it all the insurance fuck up and say actually we wont be giving you that 500 quid back.

Should i just pay it? Should i pull the car out of the garage?

If thats not written into my policy details, im going to request written confirmation that i will get my money back once the claim has been sorted.

Confused.com

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Car Insurance Question - so confused?!

Quote Originally Posted by Spennyboy View Post

its up to me to get that money back from the insurance company, once they have settled the dispute?
    Hmmm I thought normal procedure is your insurance comp gets your money back from the other parties insurance company? So you initially pay then you get your cash back.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by H4ss4n View Post
    Hmmm I thought normal procedure is your insurance comp gets your money back from the other parties insurance company? So you initially pay then you get your cash back.
    Well yeah either way. They give it to me, or get it from them and give it to me.

Fact still remains is that i didnt think it was normal to have to pay out and then recoup.

I dont like the fact that im paying out on something that may not return - because if its coming out my pocket, the damage is not worth 500 quid, i'll live with it

Also, i had 3 garages inspect the damage - all quoted around £250 inc Vat.

These guys are obviosuly aware im paying out 500 either way... so suddenly their estimate for the work is nearly double other garages. fooking liberty.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thats standard mate, you pay the excess, then recoup it from the other party. If it's only £250 at other places then why not call the woman and ask her to do it privately without insurance, you get an eistmate/quote, show it to her and explain it will be easier and wont affect her claims, etc.

If she agrees then all good, if not then go through insurance and recoupe your money.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by HermaN View Post
    Thats standard mate, you pay the excess, then recoup it from the other party. If it's only £250 at other places then why not call the woman and ask her to do it privately without insurance, you get an eistmate/quote, show it to her and explain it will be easier and wont affect her claims, etc.

If she agrees then all good, if not then go through insurance and recoupe your money.
    Thats what i was looking for

Already done the other points in your post - she wasnt interested.

Cheers

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I wouldn't expect to pay the excess either to be honest when its 100% their fault. All this should be arranged through her insurance and even a hire car etc while its in the garage. No way would I pay £500 up front when I hadn't done anything wrong. Get your insurance to sort it out with her's, if she's already admitted its her fault it should be sorted pretty quickly.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by liveseytowers View Post
    I wouldn't expect to pay the excess either to be honest when its 100% their fault. All this should be arranged through her insurance and even a hire car etc while its in the garage. No way would I pay £500 up front when I hadn't done anything wrong. Get your insurance to sort it out with her's, if she's already admitted its her fault it should be sorted pretty quickly.
    My thoughts exactly.

Its been 2 weeks now - no idea what the hold up is. Rang the insurance and all they said was "the claim is still open".

Dunno wtf they are up to.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Yep you pay your insurance to the insurer to take care of these sorts of situations i've never had to pay and claim back from the person your putting the claim against !!

Should be in small print though

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ive heard (or seen) a few adverts now from solicitors saying not to go through your insurance but to go through a solicitor if the accident is not your fault. There's NO EXCESS to pay, you get a free courtesy car, your not claiming through your insurance. Just to add to this a mate of mine at work had some bint crash into the side of his £1000 BMW, his insurance just passed him onto a solicitor who cleared up the entire matter with no money to pay and he had been driving around in a brand new 2.5 BMW while the matter was sorted.
    If nature always takes the easiest route, what's easier...?
    The creation of billions of galaxies each containing trillions of stars each with their own solar systems, some with planets that have evolved civilisations with billions of different life forms. OR The creation of just your imagination?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by HermaN View Post
    Thats standard mate, you pay the excess, then recoup it from the other party.
    I'll just be polite and say that is totally WRONG !!
    Why would anyone lay out money for anything that isn't their fault ? , whether you can claim it back or not. What would happen if he didn't have a spare £500 in his back pocket ?
    Once you inform your insurance company of the accident , they should start the ball rolling . They should be claiming the money off the other parties insurers. Once liability is admitted by them , the car should be inspected by an assessor and the repairs will be authorised.
    As for your insurance company I'd tell them to do one, you are paying THEM to sort it out.
    That was what happened in my case earlier this year.
    Is she insured by the same company ? I can't believe they suggested you settle, without making a claim off her insurance, what the hell has it got to do with them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Agree with Eric.

Someone went into the back of me while stopped at traffic lights, she admitted it. I spoke to insurance company who asked me to take the car to a garage of their choice to drop the car off, had a courtesy car come to me while I was waiting at the garage.

Dropped the car off a week later when the repairs were done.

Because she admitted it I had nothing to pay, the garage invoiced the insurance company directly.

Ohh and she was insured using the same company.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Spennyboy Talking Here... :

Seems the problem is that the women involved has NOT made her insurance aware of the incident. So the other insurance company wont admit liability therfore wont pay out.

None of this was said to me up front and the way they are talking its pay out - then when they admit liability then they will get the money back of the other company for me.

All sounds a bit shit to be honest.

Spennyboy

Thanks
    Karma Level

Garage have just rang me and said they agree with us all tbh and that i should take my own car back untill the insurance guys pull their finger out and get payment sorted.

Least we got an evalutation on it now so the price is known - £486 for a scratch. Robbery

- Spennyboy

Thanks
    Karma Level

There are a few points here...

1) It doesn't matter if the woman has admitted it is her fault... maybe if you had it in writting and took the matter to court, then it might matter, however... her insurance won't really give a shit what she said to you and will make their own decision based on the facts presented.

2) If you get your insurance to fix the car, then yes you are making a claim and yes you have to pay the excess. Your insurance will then try to get money back from the other insurance company, but sometimes they will only fight to get any money they paid above the excess... in most cases they will tell you that you should persue your own excess recovery yourself (the shits)

3) You could pay for the fix yourself an claim the money back directly from her insurance directly (without touching your insurance). However, don't expect them to pay quickly... and do expect them to try every trick to wriggle out of it.

4) If the accident is a clear cut case (by that i mean the facts are clear not what the woman admitted to). The a 3rd party company would take up your case (at no charge to you)... they will get the car fixed, give you a hire car and do all the legal chasing for you... then charge the womans insurance a shit load of money for the pleasure.

5) Finally, you could phone up her insurance and threaten to use one of those 3rd party companies if they don't fix your car asap. Sometimes this works because they know that it will cost them shit loads if you go that route. However, again this will only work if the case is clear cut and you stick to your guns and are wearing bullshit deflectors!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spennyboy View Post

Bit confused here.
    Is car insurance driving you crazy. You need confused.com

Remember, that's confused.com

Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree with Eric, and I have had lots of experience working in this area.
    Your insurance should be dealing with all of this, and your excess will be included in the claim from her insurance company assuming it's 100% her fault. you should not have to pay the garage.

If you are not happy with the garage you can ask for the repairs to be done elsewhere
    If it was the insurance company suggesting that you settle between yourselves that is totally out of order and your solcitor should be involved.

If they are suggesting 50/50 blame for the accident then things are very different.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well that stopped that conversation stone dead !
    Only trying to help

Thanks
    Karma Level

1) It doesn't matter if the woman has admitted it is her fault... maybe if you had it in writting and took the matter to court, then it might matter, however... her insurance won't really give a shit what she said to you and will make their own decision based on the facts presented.
    I was not playing the "he said she said" game - the facts were clear cut as was the CCTV. She drove the wrong way down the road and hit a stationary car. No way of getting out of that

I rang the women involved and both insurance companies today and got it sorted myself. Got the women to tell the insurance its her fault, got the other insurance company to admit liability and got mine to chase them to finalise it.

I should work in fooking insurance the last 2 days i've had on the phone!

All done and dusted now - car will be fixed on their backs.

Woooooo!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would also like to say, you really need to put your insurance company in their place.
    Why did they authorise the repair BEFORE getting the other party to accept liability ?
    If the other insurance are paying they will want to assess the vehicle, afterall they are going to be paying and so are entitled to see what the damage is. They will then tell you what they think the repair will cost if you take it to one of their garages. If you decide to go to a different garage then you will have to meet any extra costs yourself or through your insurance.
    Once it's all fixed look around for a real insurance company
    Who are you insured with ? Just so I know to avoid them in the future

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I would also like to say, you really need to put your insurance company in their place.
    Why did they authorise the repair BEFORE getting the other party to accept liability ?
    If the other insurance are paying they will want to assess the vehicle, afterall they are going to be paying and so are entitled to see what the damage is. They will then tell you what they think the repair will cost if you take it to one of their garages. If you decide to go to a different garage then you will have to meet any extra costs yourself or through your insurance.
    Once it's all fixed look around for a real insurance company
    Who are you insured with ? Just so I know to avoid them in the future
    Im with the Co-op

Yeah they asked earlier about sending the car to one of their garages - i'll make sure they are happy with the quote and charges etc etc before it is fixed to make sure there are no more hicups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast