Webbe conquers water fear in Trial

Tuesday, December 2 2008, 00:02 GMT
By Michael Thornton
Rex Features

Simon Webbe was forced to confront his fear of water in order to complete the Last Gasp task on I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here!.

The singer grabbed six out of seven underwater stars with his mouth and returned them to a base bubble within the allotted six-minute period. Oscar fish, eels and crocodiles conspired to hamper his progress, as well as his own fear of water.

"I don't swim at all but didn't want to say anything in camp. This is the whole part of the show, getting over your fears," he told Ant and Dec before the challenge began.

Webbe, who said he was dedicating the task to his daughter, dived in and successfully retrieved the first star. He held his breath in the base bubble before grabbing another, but dropped it.

The next star was worth two meals for the camp, but was located in a bubble containing eels. The 29-year-old forced his head into the container to retrieve the token and then picked up another from a bubble guarded by crocodiles.

Thirty seconds remained as Webbe headed back into the water for the final star. He bypassed water monitors in order to grab it before swimming back to the surface, where he was given oxygen by on-site medics.

"I'm shaken up to be honest, I think I hit my head as well. I'm still a bit dazed from it all and I can't really speak. I don't know if I'm in shock," he told the campmates upon his return.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/celebrit...-in-trial.html