Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Nokia Launches 'iPhone killer' N97 Phone

I think it looks pretty darn sweet

By Claudine Beaumont
    Last Updated: 1:08PM GMT 02 Dec 2008

Nokia takes on the iPhone with the new touch-screen multimedia N97 smartphone

The Finnish mobile phone giant has dubbed its new N97 handset the "world's most advanced mobile computer", and promises it will bring users closer to the internet on the move.
    The device combines a large 3.5in touch-screen, similar to that found on the Apple iPhone, with a slide-out Qwerty keyboard reminiscent of the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 and the T-Mobile G1. Unlike the Apple iPhone, the N97 will be able to play the Flash videos used on many websites, including our own Telegraph news pages. It also supports instant-messaging and email on the go, boasts a five-megapixel camera, and a huge 48GB of memory, capable of storing thousands more songs than the Apple iPhone and many other leading devices.
    "From the desktop to the laptop and now to your pocket, the Nokia N97 is the most powerful, multi-sensory mobile computer in existence," said Jonas Geust, a vice president at Nokia. "The Nokia N97 mobile computer adjusts to the world around us, helping stay connected to the people and things that matter most."
    Nokia has put high-speed web access at the heart of its new device, along with one-button, 'always-on' access to social-networking sites such as Facebook. The phone also uses its built-in GPS technology to provide location-specific information. Nokia, which calls the service 'social location', said that it will enable N97 users to update their social-networking profiles with precise details about their location and find nearby friends.
    "Today, we are at the threshold of another profound change in the way we connect and interact with each other and with our world," said Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo, chief executive of Nokia. "This is a world where you will have the power to tailor and personalise your internet how and when you like, to make your day-to-day life easier and more fulfilling."
    The new N97 will tie in closely with Nokia's Ovi platform of software and services, which include music downloads, photo-sharing services and mapping software. A new-look Nokia Maps program on the N97 will allow users to pre-plan a journey on their computer and then synchronise the route across to their mobile phone.
    Nokia has also promised that it will follow the lead of Apple, Google and Research in Motion, makers of the BlackBerry, by making it easier for third-party developers to write additonal software and programs for Nokia handsets. Owners of the N97, which runs the Symbian operating system, can already download thousands of applications to their phone, and Nokia said it is creating "new opportunities" for third parties to develop innovative widgets and internet service applications for Nokia devices.
    The Nokia N97 is expected to go on sale in the first half of 2009, and will cost around £470 without a contract, although many network operators are expected to heavily subsidise the cost of the handset, or even offer it for free on some tariffs.
    Nokia, which has more than a billion customers worldwide, faces stiff competition from newcomers to the mobile phone market, such as Apple, with its hugely popular iPhone, and even Google, which has helped to develop the open-source Android operating system that will be running on several phones next year, and which promises to bring the desktop computing experience to mobile devices.
    Although some technology commentators and analysts are sceptical whether the Nokia N97 has the potential to be an 'iPhone killer', others are more upbeat about its prospects.
    "With the N97, Nokia has produced the first phone that will truly challenge, and even transcend, Apple's best," said Robin Landy, of mobile phone review website Omio.com. "Nokia has brought together a lot of common smartphone features, such as GPS, Wi-Fi and 3G internet, in one gorgeous device. Crucially though, they've combined the standard stuff with features that really matter to users, but are often missing from rival handsets.
    "A proper Qwerty keyboard will make a huge difference to the everyday user experience, and the huge amount of memory means that even people with large music collections can leave their iPods at home.
    "The N97 lacks the in-your-face dazzle of the iPhone, but it does strike a balance between understated good looks and functional practicality."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencean...N97-phone.html
    Last edited by TheFincher; 2nd December 2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Added source

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Nokia Launches 'iPhone killer' N97 Phone

The tag iPhone killer is oft misused.
    The only way "That" would kill the iphone is if you were talking about 2 iPhones stacked on top of one another, otherwise...... Next
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

its wot the n96 shud have been, rather than a rehashed n95
    I was touched by Jesus, so i had him arrested.

Thanks
    Karma Level

to have a iphone killer you have to copy the apps idea, internet , email its these that keep all the niggles(camera,mms,normal text ect) from being to much and me getting another phone

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by GTI View Post
    The tag iPhone killer is oft misused.
    The only way "That" would kill the iphone is if you were talking about 2 iPhones stacked on top of one another, otherwise...... Next
    Most phones kill the iPhone in terms of apps. The only way to truly kill the iphone is to put out something with a similar/better UI and all the features it was missing in the first place. Saying that, most iPhone users have been brainwashed and still wouldn't buy it unless it had an Apple logo on it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    Most phones kill the iPhone in terms of apps.

No way the way the apps work on the iphone are leaps and bounds above any other phone( and not apple fan by the way )

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry, meant to say features not apps.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've just asked my mate at Nokia when they started employing design engineers who had been sacked from HTC! And whether I can run the Google OS on it. ;-p

W.

Thanks
    Karma Level

48gb of memory!! Wow, lol..

Miike.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Carterman View Post
    48gb of memory!! Wow, lol..

Miike.

i dont think thats a mistake to be fair it prob will have

Thanks
    Karma Level

A video of the phone in action...
    YouTube - Nokia N97 Demo - the great Fondle Video

W.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I posted this earlier today, and no comments? wtf http://www.digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=402393

I like the A-GPS idea, a bit like Placebook, battery life of course will play an important role too, seems to come with a 1500 mAh battery.
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71 View Post
    I posted this earlier today, and no comments? wtf http://www.digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=402393

I like the A-GPS idea, a bit like Placebook, battery life of course will play an important role too, seems to come with a 1500 mAh battery.
    You didn't have the buzz words "iPhone Killer" in your title to get the fanboys posting

Is that a LED flash I see in the video. Wtf Nokia, they got it right in the N82 and from then on it's been crappie LED flashes on their phones.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I read an early hands on and their saying the interface is sluggish and unresponsive.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Apparently the 48gb memory is wrong. It's 32gb on board with 16gb via microSD

There’s a massive 32GB of memory on board and that can be expanded by an extra 16GB using a MicroSD card.
    http://www.t3.com/news/nokia-unveils...tr=T3-Main-RSS

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll post the PROPER spec tmrw

fyi Nokias iphone killer is http://www.nokia.co.uk/5800xpressmusic and not the N97

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Here's one specsheet, dual LED flash as beerman said wtf wtf wtf

http://events.nokia.com/nokiaworld/a...okia%20N97.pdf
    “If I asked you to have sex with me, would the answer to that question be the same as the answer to this question?”

Thanks
    Karma Level

In A World Of United's, City's, Town's, Rover's & Albion's There Is Only One Hotspur

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by cronus71 View Post
    Here's one specsheet, dual LED flash as beerman said wtf wtf wtf

http://events.nokia.com/nokiaworld/a...okia%20N97.pdf
    I'm actually surprised they've stuck with a 5 mega pixel camera. Did Nokia close its camera development department and are now having to use hand me downs from previous phones? Shame really as Samsung, SE and LG all have 8megapixel camera phones.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Waka View Post
    A video of the phone in action...
    YouTube - Nokia N97 Demo - the great Fondle Video

W.
    Thats just made me want one even more........... Sexy as fuck i reckon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast