Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Roy Keane leaves Sunderland

Not surprised , will be very difficult for him to get another premier job

Keane and Sunderland part company

Keane took charge of Sunderland in 2006

Roy Keane has left his position as manager of Sunderland.
    Sunderland confirmed the exit of Keane on Thursday, with players and staff at the Stadium of Light also informed after a morning of speculation.
    The Black Cats are 18th in the Premier League and have lost five of their last six games.
    Former Manchester United midfielder Keane, 37, took over at Sunderland in 2006 and led them to the Premier League in 2006-07.
    Keane had said in recent weeks that his future may not be certain, hinting that he could leave the club.
    Sunderland's latest defeat came against Bolton on Saturday, with the Black Cats losing 4-1.
    "I ask myself every day if I'm the right man for Sunderland," he said after that defeat. "I asked myself this morning, and I said I was. Sunday morning, if the answer's no, we'll have to look at it."

Keane has spent nearly £70m on 33 permanent signings since his arrival in August 2006, including the big-money arrivals of striker Kenwyne Jones, midfielder Kieran Richardson, defender Anton Ferdinand and a club-record £9m on keeper Craig Gordon.
    In their return to the Premier League last season their finished in 15th position escaping relegation by just three points.
    Keane had been due to hold a news conference at 1300 GMT ahead of Saturday's Premier League game against Manchester United.
    The Irish midfielder is still regarded as legend at previous club Manchester United where he won seven Premier League titles, four FA Cups as well as the Champions League in 1999. During his 12-year career at Old Trafford he earned himself a fearsome reputation as a no-nonsense tough-tackling midfielder.

Keane also had spells at Nottingham Forest and Celtic, winning 66 caps for his country.
    During his first season as manager at Sunderland he led the club to the Championship title.
    Keane becomes the fourth managerial departure in the Premier League this season. His contract was due to expire at the end of the season with talks over a new deal reportedly ongoing. More to follow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nd/7764671.stm
    Last edited by Roach-Rampino; 4th December 2008 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Article added.