Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Need help on decieding first car

Been looking at a few cars and need some opinions. First one is the Toyota Yaris. Nice fuel ecomony and has a 5 star safety rating and cheap insurence Next is the Vauxhall Corsa which is very cheap to buy and insurance costs are low. Finally the new Ford Fiesta, This thing looks the dogs dangleys, has a 5 star safety rating and should be prety reliable

I just need some opinions on the above cars and maybe some suggestions on other cars to have a look at.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Need help on decieding first car

yaris, more reliable and better residuals

Thanks
    Karma Level

Firgot to mention that ill mainly be using the car for commuting and popping into town at the weekend.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've had 3 Corsa hire cars (not my choice) and all three were a steaming pile of shite. Dunno about the other 2 cars mentioned but personally I'd never buy a Corsa. The brakes are shite, they bounce round corners where the suspension is shite (and fuck me they lean), they have little guts when you put your foot down and they depreciate like a stone. All were 1.4 models so again have no experience on other models. Makes me wonder who the fuck is buying these shite bags on wheels? With the amount of these I see on the road some cunts must be.

Best thing to do is get yourself down to your local garages and test drive the cars you are interested in. My review could be completely different to yours on the Corsa.

Thanks
    Karma Level

For me it would have to be the Yaris simply because it is Japenese as they are very reliable and don't depreciate like Fords and Vauxhalls but as said above I would test drive them all and then decide.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd go for something old but reliable, something you won't mind kerbing the wheels or bumping into bollards slightly with etc.

As a new driver your likely going to make little mistakes, everyone does - so something like the above would be ideal.

My first car was a VW Polo 1.0L with 40K on the clock and I didn't have a single problem with it - but I fooked the 13" steel wheels on it pretty badly and rubbed the drivers door off a bollard on a drive-thru ... a year later I got my next car that was younger and cost slightly more and never had a problem.

In my opinion a Vauxhall, Ford etc are all shite cars, but your first car shouldn't really be one of the best you own. A Corsa or Fiesta with low mileage should be cheap enough and see you through a year or two of driving no problem.

Out of the options above, I'd say a Yaris would be the best as its Japanese ... I've always had VAG (German/Spanish) cars and never had a problem with either of them.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Id go with the fiesta. Ford dont really make shite cars. It should be pretty fun to drive if u believe wot u read. Driving a corsa is my idea of hell.
    I was touched by Jesus, so i had him arrested.

Thanks
    Karma Level

When I was learning in my Corsa, I thought it was a cool little car. The brakes where a bit iffy sometimes but that might of just been me

Thinking about getting a used but fairly recent yaris. Butif I can get a good deal on a Fiesta then ill go for one of them. Its hard though 'cus I KNOW ill probally scuff, collect a few dents in the thing so I dont wanna get something too new.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I can't believe that someone has used the word cool to describe a Corsa - what is the world coming to?

Thanks
    Karma Level

look at the Fiat Stilo m8 great car

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by C3Grimmy View Post
    If it has a warranty...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by C3Grimmy View Post
    FIAT = Fix It Again Tomorrow.

Out of the Yaris, Corsa or Fiesta I would go for the Fiesta or Corsa for looks, but the Yaris for build quality.

My first car was a 1998 R-reg Vauxhall Corsa with approx 70k on the clock when I got it. Still got it (been meaning to scrap it, but not got round to it) and its now got almost 100k on the clock. Never had any major problems with it when I used it. Worst thing was replacing the handbrake cable and a hole in the exhaust, replaced them both myself without much hassle or cost involved.

Still runs fine too, even after sitting in a garage doing nothing for almost 2 years (start it up every few weeks just to make sure its still alive and not siezed up).

I agree with the above, you don't want a brand spanking new car for your first one, because your bound to kerb the wheels a bit, etc. Also a brand new car looses a fair bit of its value the second you drive it out the showroom.

Dont think I'd ever buy a car brand new, you can get ones that are only 6 months to a year old in perfect condition for a good few grand less than a brand new one.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I I had a Suzuki Swift as a rental car and was pleasantly surprised by its surefooted handling and zippy engine. I just don't know if it was the 1.3 or 1.5 that I was driving.

Also worth considering would be a Seat Arosa or VW Lupo if you really need to keep the premiums down.
    "You have reached the end of you free trial membership at BenjaminFranklinQuotes.com"
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Karma Level

First car don't buy new not only do you loose a fortune in depretiation but the fear of driveing your own car on your own is bad enough never mind doing it in somthing brand new that has cost a small fortune.

Grab somthing a few years old, based on the corsa you could get a 1.4 sxi that is 6 month old about 3k cheaper than buying new at the list price. The new cosra will be coming up for about 3 years old I think now you shoud be able to get one for about £4k even less maybe. But the new corsa is heavier than the old one so don't go buying the 1.0 thinking it will keep insurance cost down the 1.2 is the minimum really. I would get the Corsa C if I was buying one. Don't tell my sister, she got a new one in March, the interior is 100% better in the D than the C but the weight lets it down a little.

The Yaris should be a good one to go for, a freind has one, it felt a bit gutless but Im not sure what engine it had.

The Fiesta, the ones I have driven have all been diesel and felt ok but I never liked the dash too much plastic for me it was even worse than the corsa C

never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!:thumbup:

Social Networking Bookmarks