Close

Thread: Yobs Win Again

Thanks
    Karma Level

Rant Yobs Win Again

No justice for this!

Dec 6 2008 by Naomi Corrigan, Evening Gazette
    A COUPLE viciously attacked by a gang of yobs say they have lost all faith in the criminal justice system after the case was dropped.

Maria and Jeff Readman from Thornaby were both left with lifelong injuries from the horrific assault in September 2007.
    Their son Ryan, who was 15 at the time, was beaten as he tried to shield his mother.
    The family, and another girl who was punched at the scene, identified the same man and several witnesses came forward to give statements to the police.
    But they have been left devastated and disillusioned after the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) revealed it was no longer proceeding with the case.
    Chief Crown Prosecutor Gerry Wareham said there was insufficient evidence “to allow a realistic prospect of conviction”.
    Mrs Readman immediately responded with an emotional letter.
    “I know some of these people and I know they will carry on doing this sort of thing because they always get away with it,” she said.
    The family was attacked as they walked home from a children’s party near Stirling Way in Thornaby.

Jeff, a 50-year-old machine operator, said his daughter was verbally abused and he was then punched in the face by one of the men. Others allegedly joined in, pulling off fence posts and using them as weapons.
    Maria, 42, told the Gazette she was hit in the head with a brick before being beaten as she lay on the ground.
    “I remember them laughing as Ryan begged them not to hurt his mam,” she said.
    The medical receptionist suffered a fractured skull and nose and was in intensive care for two days. She has since undergone several operations and has been left with a large scar across her forehead. She also has eye problems for which she is due to have surgery.
    Her husband suffered a fractured cheek bone and has no feeling left in the roof of his mouth.
    Ryan suffered bruising to the back of his head.
    Maria and Ryan both went on to identify one of the alleged attackers in an identity parade.
    However, the CPS said that the description Ryan gave in a statement did not correspond with the actual appearance of the alleged assailant.
    They also said that in Maria’s initial statement, she claimed the attacker held the brick in his hand as he hit her and after the ID parade said he threw it.
    But Maria said: “This seems to me to be a very weak reason, it’s like saying he threw a punch - it doesn’t mean his fist becomes detached from his arm.
    “The fact is, using a brick as a weapon, he assaulted me, with a blow to my head severe enough to result in an open fracture to my skull, an injury which nearly ended my life.
    “There were in the region of 30 men attacking us that night and slowly, one by one, we were told there was not enough evidence to convict any one of them.”
    She added that she felt compelled to contact the Gazette in support of Thornaby Against Street Crime, a campaign set up by the grieving family of street attack victim Gavin Robinson.
    “Poor Gavin was not as lucky as I was, he did not survive,” she said.
    “I don’t particularly want my face in the paper again but I feel strongly that if Gavin’s mother has the courage to speak out after what happened to her son, then so do I.”
    Mr Wareham told the Gazette it is vital that witnesses do come forward and help the police and CPS.
    “Without them we can do nothing,” he said.
    “Nevertheless we are governed by the Code for Crown Prosecutors established by Parliament and can only allow a case to go to court where there is sufficient evidence to allow a realistic prospect of conviction.
    “I fully understand Mrs Readman’s frustration and have agreed to meet with her to explain in detail why we took the decision we did in this particular case.”
    He added that if further evidence was submitted, the case could be reopened.

i live in this town

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Yobs Win Again

oh mate, not good, its not just your town tho, its accorss the board and is the same story up and down the country, people beaten up and no one done for it. The cps, old bill and these fucking do gooders for human rights are to blame as the bastards know they can get away with it,
    human rights for fuck sake, you do this to someone you have no rights

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bloody typical!! I'm originally from Boro mate, used to work in Thornaby and there are some scummy twats about, but saying that Boro has far more and to be honest every town in the country has them! It's sickening!
    We all make mistakes sometimes

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

CPS = Can't Prosecute, Sorry (IMHO)

Thanks
    Karma Level

not me but i went to school with her

they know the main people involved by name so now they have a family of pikeys on the case will keep you updated