Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

animals Comedian sorry for Matthews joke

Comedian sorry for Matthews joke

The comic spoke to reporters after receiving his award

Comedian Alan Carr has apologised for dedicating an award to Karen Matthews, who kidnapped her daughter Shannon.
    Government minister Shahid Malik called him "sick and insensitive" after the comic spoke to reporters at the British Comedy Awards on Saturday.
    Carr said: "I should dedicate this award to her [Karen]. She would be my dream guest. I think she's a gay icon."
    He later said: "I realise what I said was insensitive and I am very sorry for any offence caused."
    Junior Justice Minister Mr Malik said the timing of the remarks could not have been worse.
    'Sad case'
    Mr Malik, who is also MP for Matthews' constituency of Dewsbury, said: "I think Alan Carr can be funny on occasion but I think last night he really let himself down.
    "I think most people think it to be both sick and insensitive and people will be disgusted with him at a time when many people are looking very closely at the comic/comedian profession anyway.
    "This isn't a helpful contribution either to the sad case of Shannon Matthews where we've only just got a conviction, and Michael Donovan and Karen Matthews haven't even been sentenced yet." People like a bit of rough don't they?

Alan Carr

Matthews and Donovan, from Batley Carr, were convicted last week of the kidnap of nine-year-old Shannon.
    The child was drugged and imprisoned for 24 days in a plan to claim £50,000 in reward money.
    Alan Carr was voted Best Comedy Entertainment Personality for his Friday Night Project and Sunday Night Project shows.
    He said that he originally planned his Celebrity Ding Dong sketch to feature Rough Women not Fashionistas.
    "It didn't work out because they couldn't cast it. I suppose it is a bit difficult to find rough women. I suppose Shannon Matthew's mum was busy," he said. "Oh yeah, she would be my dream guest. I think she's a gay icon. People like a bit of rough don't they?" Carr added: "I must be obsessed with her actually if you look at my Google searches. So I should dedicate this award to her."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/7770323.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Comedian sorry for Matthews joke

anyone else think this was hillarious
    Signature Removed: Maximum signature image size is: 468 x 60

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't think anything he does is hilarious. He just says totally average things in what he thinks is an original and funny camp voice that makes mostly middle aged depressed women with nothing in their lives laugh like obnoxious children.

I am pissed off he is getting abuse for this relatively acceptable joke from all the people who pretend to be offended by things because they like moaning though - comedy should be shocking or else it would be boring.
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Shahid Malik MP calling Alan Carr "Insensitive", get off that band wagon you tosser

Thanks
    Karma Level

if it hadnt been reported it wouldn't get any complaints as the people watching the show accept that stuff like this can happen. Now its in the likes of the daily mail or express, it'll gather thousands of complaints.