Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Asus Eee PC 701 4G, best OS?

Should be picking one of these up tonight, standard apart from having 1gb of memory instead of 512mb, and I'll be sticking an 8gb SDHC card in there too.

Think it comes standard with GNU Linux, but is there anything better than this?

It's only ever going to be used to surf the internet with Firefox, but I want it to be as fast as possible whilst doing so, which could rule XP out, but hopefully someone knows better than me!

I'd be installing any new OS form an 8gb USB pen drive too if this makes any difference to my choices. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Asus Eee PC 701 4G, best OS?

Quote Originally Posted by broona View Post
    Should be picking one of these up tonight, standard apart from having 1gb of memory instead of 512mb, and I'll be sticking an 8gb SDHC card in there too.

Think it comes standard with GNU Linux, but is there anything better than this?

It's only ever going to be used to surf the internet with Firefox, but I want it to be as fast as possible whilst doing so, which could rule XP out, but hopefully someone knows better than me!

I'd be installing any new OS form an 8gb USB pen drive too if this makes any difference to my choices. Thanks in advance.
    There are treads about this on here already. Windows 2003 R2 is the best O/S if you want to go the Windows route as the install is smaller than XP and uses less resources at startup. XP and Vista will both work - Vista being a tad slow. Use a 16gb SDHC card - also you can install extra internal USB ports and stuff them full of stripped down USB sticks to add further drive space.

Mine is sat under my xmas tree and I'm not allowed to touch it until the 25th - stupid Christmas!
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the reply, and I appreciate that similar questions have been asked before too.

Can 2003 be installed from a USB pen, or would I need an external DVD drive?

Think I'll try downloading a couple of Linux variants too, never used Linux much before, but as I said, I'll only be using Firefox on it anyway, so whichever OS is the fastest will be fine by me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hmm.. I don't know if you can install off USB - I don't see why not though as long as the stick is bootable...

Check out http://forum.eeeuser.com/ for more info on O/S and games that will run etc. They might be able to answer you better than I can
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

After a quick flick through a few pages on eeeuser, I think I'll start off with Ubuntu Eee, and if I don't like it, I'll give Windows 2003 a shot.

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Let us know how you get on. I can't wait to get mine on xmas day
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

if you want to try some differnt os's without having to install each one first try unetbootin http://lubi.sourceforge.net/unetbootin.html its the easiest way ive found to make bootableusb keys as it even downloads the iso for you

ive got the acer aspire one and its dual booting ubuntu and xp, i tried vista but after thepain in the arse of installing it doesnt run fast enough really, in the main theres not alot of diffence speed wise between ubuntu and xp ive found but then again i do throttle the cpu back to 800mhz to make the battery lat longer so its only when im plugged in do i let it have full speed (and thats not that often lol) ifyour wanting it to be as fast as possible id stick with the preinstalled version of linux when igot this linpus wass installed and it was really quickto boot (15ish seconds) now with both xp and ubuntu its more like 30-45 sec

the one thing that xp does way better than either linpus, ubuntu or any of the other live versions ive been playing with(backtrack3 ;D) is the battery life under xp im getting roughly 2.5 hours on the 3 cell battery with the screen brightness righ down and the wifi on, with any of the linux versions im lucky to get over 2hrs, bt3 is very hard on the battery but thats probably down to it being used to "test" my wifi

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cheers.

I don't mind how long it takes to boot, within reason of course, I just want it to be as fast as possible in use.

I assume that I'd need to install more bloatware if I go with XP, i.e. firewall, anti-virus, anti-malware, etc, as Linux is supposed to be inherently secure?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ubuntu going on now, can't use the default Linux as it's a pain in the arse to use FF3 on, typical!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Let me know how you get on with ubuntu m8 I get mine tomorrow.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive got ubuntu on mine and other than a bit of fiddling (aka sorting the drivers) its not missed a beat, the only thing id say you need that you dont get built in is samba for any network shares youve got, (to install open terminal and type sudo apt-get install samba it'll ask you for your admin password and then it should install)

if you get stuck with it let me know and i'll do what i can to help

Thanks
    Karma Level

i couldnt get on with eee ubuntu and im linux friendly, i also tried pupeee and a couple of the other eee remixed linux distros.

It pains me to say it but my last (and still current) install of xp (home) ran like lightning, i had removed a load of shit (with nlite although do be careful not to kill stuff you might need in the future - its the devils own job adding stuff in!) for space sake and turned off stuff like paging memory etc.

I was running ffox, vlc and a load of other stuff and still had about 2GB free on the built in disc, using a 8GB SDHC card for some extra storage.

when i picked the machine up I was expecting to be frustrated with the sluggishness of it in general and in reality I was very very pleased.

If anything it's slightly faster for general use than my 1.6GHz multithreading atom based replacement for it, and it's only a 630MHz celeron out of the box ! Admittedly the xp and vista installs on my new machine arent 'optimised' at all though.

Really dont write XP off, but do get 1GB ram. With a little work, xp is spot on on the eee 701 4g

Thanks
    Karma Level

i didnt install the tinyxp i went with an oem disk id already got and it flys on here too and ive turned barely anything off, if anything ive added things to it (nod32) and its still pretty snappy, im not used to using windows (ive only been using xp and vista for the past couple of months which is why i keep going back to what i know

there is one thing for me though that xp wins on hands down and thats the battery life, under any of the linux distros i get 2hrs if im lucky with the 3 cell (2200 mah) battery with xp im getting closer to 3 hours on the same battery,

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks again for all the replies.

Having problems with Ubuntu and Wifi now, think XP will be going on tomorrow!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Decided to stick with Ubuntu Eee for the time being, XP's proving to be a pain in the arse to setup from USB, so as long as i've got Firefox, I'm reasonably happy!

Thanks
    Karma Level

i borrowed a usb cd drive to put xp on my eee and acer.

I also got hold of a usb to ide converter and used a regular ide dvd drive to put vista on my acer. Those leads are available from hong kong sellers for a few quid

Thanks
    Karma Level

hows vista running for you? cos it seemed a little sluggish for me (although ive not added anymore ram and i did install vista ultimate lol)

Thanks
    Karma Level

am on vista home basic (had a spare licence) on my acer aspire one, its running a treat after some driver tweaking and installing 1.5GB ram

Thanks
    Karma Level

itll be the extra ram then thats making it run better, ive not pulled mine apart yet to add any ram and the 1gb was under quite some stress lol (you forget when youve got as much as will fit in when your on a desktop system lol)

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Just put XP on mine piece of piss running fine for the boy to surf the net.

I think ubuntu eee was faster but the boy is only 10 and familiar with XP.
    "Where you are is what you eat. When I'm in London I'll have beans on toast for lunch. On holiday � what? Tapas? Go on then I'll have a bit. You eat whatevers in that area"
    Karl Pilkington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast