Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention HELP! experts wanted - lens buying?

as some of you know ive a new camera a nikon d40, it came with the 18-55 lense kit but thats not so good for far off shots so im wanting to buy a lense that will handle far off shots ( to bring them closer).

what sort of lense should i be looking for? this is where you come in. whats a good all round size to buy (55 - 200mm ect.....) i ideally want one that i can pick say a church spear out on the horizon and pull it in.

i want one but im not sure whats the best size.

also i know the nikon d40 you need special lenses IF you want it to auto focus, from what ive read this isnt essential on a lense for this cam but it does help. if i was to go for one that doesnt have auto focus ( due to cost) what does this mean? is it as it sounds that i have to adjust the focus ring myself?

right you guys seem to know what your going on about so i'll sit back and wait for a reply. hope my post makes sense and thanks in advance.
    [CENTER][COLOR=Blue]TASK FORCE 141, DOOM ON YOU MR.TANGO! MW2 COMPLETE ON VETERAN

ARROGANT YES., FULL OF SHIT YES, ALWAYS RIGHT,YES.
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: HELP experts wanted, lense buying?

I wouldn't call myself an expert, more a keen amateur - I own a D70 and I can tell you that the Nikon AF 80-200mm f/2.8D ED is lovely for bringing things in close.

It's fast aperture is great for when the light is low, it's a high quality lens; I absolutely love mine.

You can pick one up for around £650, but you should look on eBay as I have managed to get some great deals on lenses.

The Nikon 200mm f/4 Micro is a classic and suppose to be a real showstopper for landscapes. This is around the £700 mark.

Both quite pricey but I do believe that when it come to 'glass' you really do get what you pay for.

Good luck!! Don't forget check eBay - people generally look after their lenses well, the ones I have bought have always been in top nick

Thanks
    Karma Level

200mm for landscapes? Thats a new one on me......

Thommo, they're called "zoom" lenses... Racheal has given you some decent advice but as a total beginner, I'd recommend going for cheaper glass to start with. Lenses hardly lose any value so you'll get most of your money back on it when you want to upgrade.

Have a look at the Nikon fit Sigma range. The 70-300 is around £150 and very decent for the price.
    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/prod...px?sku=1008565
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

to be honest if your photographing still objects ( buildings for example ) wouldn't it be better to move in closer rather than use a longer focal length ?
    zoom lenses arn't really ideal for landscape shooting because of the way they compress the forgropund and the shallow depth of field that zoom lenses produce their more suited to wildlife , sports and portrature

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

If you do go for the Sigma 70-300 make sure you get the AFS version (built in motor) or it will not autofocus on your D40.

For a cheap solution the Nikon AF-S VR 55–200mm f/4–5.6G IF-ED gets very good reviews and with your kit lens would cover a good range.

Have a read of this site: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Scroll down to nearly half way and have a read.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: HELP experts wanted, lens buying?

All the above is sensible. Rachel has specified some good glass and I would always try and buy f/2.8 glass but it does carry a hefty price tag. The Sigma 70-300 is a reasonable lens and I have one in my bag, Canon fit though, and very rarely use it as I would only bother if there was something in the distance that I really wanted to close in on. If you wanted to shoot landscapes I would go wider than the kit lens to maybe a 10-20 or 12-24.

As said above make sure you get something with a motor on it or you will have to manually focus on stuff as Nikon dropped the motor from some of their cameras.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: HELP experts wanted, lens buying?

All my lenses are second hand (one from Bert, one from CJ (gratis) and 2 off eBay). As stated by Rachel, the eBays ones can be mint, well looked after and in their original boxes.

As I have discovered this is an expensive hobby and as much as I am an impatient spendthrift, it's crazy spending too much too soon, when you are really at the beginner level.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: HELP! experts wanted - lens buying?

thanks for the replies, im not 100% on what i want but i do know i want one that shall we say is better at bringing things in closer than the one supplied with it, the one i have is ok for things around me i just wanted something for a better distance shot, it will be my last purchase for a while but i would prefer to have 2 lenses, the one thats supplied for things around me and one for things a bit further away.

i know it can get expensive and because of this it will be my last purchase for a while, i take a look at those links provided and the suggestions mentioned.

thanks.

oh just to add the first post was an example, im not wanting one thats for landscape as such, just one that i can get nice close shots of things without being sat on top of them, probably more animals and sports than anything else.
    Last edited by thommo; 11th December 2008 at 01:39 PM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=Blue]TASK FORCE 141, DOOM ON YOU MR.TANGO! MW2 COMPLETE ON VETERAN

ARROGANT YES., FULL OF SHIT YES, ALWAYS RIGHT,YES.
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]