Close

Thread: ASUS Eee PC

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question ASUS Eee PC

Hi all,

I've been looking at getting one of these "ultra mobile" type laptops. Mainly for work really as I have to lug mine everyday on my motorbike and it's a pain in the ass.

The one's I've seen on offer out here are the ASUS Eee PC 1000h and some HP models. I can't remember the details of those.

They all seem to have 1gb ram, can this be upgraded easily? Is it SODIMM or some new stuff?

Also I hear they do an SSD version? What sizes does this come in? I've only seen an 80gb version out here which I'm assuming is a standard lappy HD?

I've seen this 1000h model (in black) for about £350. I think this is expensive but I don't really know compared to UK prices.

If anyone has one I'd be glad to hear there pro's / con's and anything that might be worth holding on for in the next month. I'll prob stick XP on it as I need it going ASAP for work.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: ASUS Eee PC

PC Pro do a good review of 13 this month.

The Winner is the 'Acer One' Netbook. Retails around £175 - £200 for the SSD version. Not much storage but you can stick HCSD cards in... That comes with Linux but installing XP has been done so the drivers will be out there.

I have an MSI Wind (Or the Advent 4211 from PC world, same machine but the Advent is cheaper??). Paid £275 for it from PC world and it came with XP Home. Bought 2gb Ram from Play for around £12 and it was a doddle to fit
    Comes with 80gb HD so plenty of space, very nice to use and I take it everywhere!!

Maybe grab a copy of this months PC pro mate and see the lowdown on them all. Make sure it the edition that cleary states 13 Netbooks reviewed I think it's Feb 09's issue (Yeah, how does that work!!)

*EDIT*

It is the Feb '09 one. Jan's might still be the one in the shops (With the EBook review on the front). I get it posted so might have it early mate.

Check out the register for more info, they are pretty solid with there reviews.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/12/rh_bg_netbooks/
    Last edited by Goldberg; 8th December 2008 at 01:47 PM.
    We all make mistakes sometimes

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've just bought an HP 2133... was £190 from ebuyer but seem to be out of stock now.

Got it Saturday, Got rid of the shitty Suse and Installed ubuntu linux and enabled all the flashy 3d effects on the desktop:

YouTube - COMPIZ ON HP 2133 MININOTE IN UBUNTU 8.04 HP2133

Stuck 2GB of ram in from the off too, as it was only £14. I must say it's the muts nuts... great little machine, nice keyboard, and fast enough for what I'm using it for.. web, remote desktop, e-mail etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just to add, Dealextreme sell the 'touchscreen' kits for most of these machines. That's if you fancy playing around with it further

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm just after the standard kit to be fair. Do the SSD models have a much higher battery life then? Seems they do 40gb but that's it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJAd View Post
    I'm just after the standard kit to be fair. Do the SSD models have a much higher battery life then? Seems they do 40gb but that's it.
    Not sure, probably but maybe not a huge deal.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Very good price that! Like I said earlier the Acer ones come out tops on group tests.
    My only issue with them is the location of the mouse buttons, but that's just something you eventually get used too

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberg View Post
    Very good price that! Like I said earlier the Acer ones come out tops on group tests.
    My only issue with them is the location of the mouse buttons, but that's just something you eventually get used too
    Yeah they worried me a bit when I had a go on one in Currys thought the touchpad was a bit unresponsive too. But as this laptop is for my lad who has never had a laptop I'm sure he'll get used to it pretty quickly.

Thanks
    Karma Level

What i've done for my mum (Got her a 701 for xmas) is just bought a small USB mouse with retractable cord.
    The keyboard will be fine as she one finger types anyhow lol. Just hope the 7" screen is big enough for her!

I plan to buy her a 32" LCD next year, that'll have a VGA port no doubt so i'll be able to get her a cable and she can use the TV if her old eyes start playing up lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

That looks a bit tasty. I'll keep my eye out for that one.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJAd View Post
    That looks a bit tasty. I'll keep my eye out for that one.
    Dang that is nice. Just bought an eeepc for myself. Gonna stash 3gb of RAM in it and mod it with some internal USB ports. Combined with a 16gb SDHC it will be fine for me. Got it new for £159 delivered. Not had chance to play with it yet though as the missus decided to wrap it as my xmas present - dammit!!
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Have a look at the Samsung NC10 as well mate, 6 cell battery as standard and 160gb hard drives also 10" screen, just bought 2 for the kids xmas presents and they do look great, I looked at all the alternatives but these came out on top for value, just my opinion by the way

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Garny View Post
    Have a look at the Samsung NC10 as well mate, 6 cell battery as standard and 160gb hard drives also 10" screen, just bought 2 for the kids xmas presents and they do look great, I looked at all the alternatives but these came out on top for value, just my opinion by the way
    Bloke at work just bought one of these because of the battery. He took off whatever Linux was installed and replaced it with Ubuntu.

He had to re-compile some drivers etc.... but has it set up nicely as he likes it now. It's a very nice machine to look at

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Got my lads Acer Aspire one yesterday and fired it up to load XP on (before the linux fansboys start posting, that's what he knows so that's what's going on it). Was pleasantly surprised to find it has a 160GB drive instead of the quoted 120GB. Even the box says it's a 120GB model.

Very nippy little laptop I'm tempted to get myself one. My only gripe is as mentioned before the touchpad buttons being on the side and not at the bottom of the touchpad.